Who makes a 285/40/18?????

chuckstang

Established Member
Nitto makes a 285/40/18. They are 555R's. Run about 250.00 ea. Have never uses any other tire on any of my mustangs. Great tire, you will not be disapointed at all.

I believe the 555r is a drag radial ?

I am going to have 2 sets of tires/wheels, street and will probably use a nitto drag tire for the strip, just dont see it being as fun and safe on the street

To the toyo guys, I had no idea they had so many choices

What about bridestone, I believe they have a super performance tire as well I was looking, but only 275/40/18 all around. Probably would be fine for handling on the street but I still like the look of a nice wide tire out back

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
No the 555r is the street tire the 555dr is the Drag radial. The 555 is what nitto came up with for the drifting circuit. It hooks much better than the GY. I have them all the way around on my car. And when I go to the track I slip on the Hoosiers.

There is no tire that is going to be perfect for every type of driving you want to do so find a happy medium and get another set of rims. LOL

I have been very happy with the wet weather traction of the 555r but like anything if you stomp it wet or dry its gonna spin some and if its wet you better know how to drive DR or street tire.

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
No, the Nitto "555" is the street tire. I have read they are about the same (traction wise) as the stock tires.

The Nitto "555r" is the drag radial, according to the Nitto website.

They also have a 555rII, which appears to be a road race tire.

The Nitto web page does not show a "555dr", correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
thanks, ya I am confused about which nitto tire is which

I am leaning towards the nitto because of the name and the looks but if they dont grip any better than the stock good years, forget it!

Users who are viewing this thread