Who makes the best gear

Brewkett

Established Member
Who currently makes the best gear for the 8.8 IRS?
I know ford OEM had some problems with there gear supplier a few years ago causing a lot of gear howl. Is it best to stay OE or is there another brand ie. Richmond, Yukon,

fitforspeed

Established Member
Who currently makes the best gear for the 8.8 IRS?
I know ford OEM had some problems with there gear supplier a few years ago causing a lot of gear howl. Is it best to stay OE or is there another brand ie. Richmond, Yukon,

I read a lot on this topic a couple years ago and found tons of varying opinions. It seems they all have good and bad reports. Much of it may be related to setup but maybe not. I really wanted 3.90's but ended up going with 4.10's because it seemed overall Ford Racing had the most success with lack of gear noise.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Richmond is crap unless you want gear noise. They were sold a few years ago and their QC went to hell. People will go thru 2-3-4 sets before they get a good one...or not. Best bet IMO is finding OEM gears. For the 9" in my '66 I bought a great used Ford 3.50 R&P for $85.

Are the 8.8 IRS gears the same as for SRA? I think so. The T-Bird SuperCoupe 8.8 IRS used the same gears as SRA.

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
Ford oe and Ford Racing are two different suppliers. Ford oe are the best for noise. Not cheap though.

Users who are viewing this thread