Who will be the first on the market with an Intercooler?

XtraVenom03

Established Member
It would be good if designers started working on some intercoolers for our cars. It'd make a world of a difference to keep the blower nice and cool. I also think Hp would increase as well.

Last edited:

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I read a article on the intercooler we already have.... one of the most effitient out there, it was a test on a lightning, showed temp decreases around 200 degrees..... I think the stock system is pretty effitient, but somebody can always improve, but for a price of course.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
GTto03 has checked his here in Texas heat (98+ degrees) and an L pulley (50 degrees extra heat from the blower) and the air temp after the intercooler was 107.. I don't see the need??

Jerry

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The only thing I would actually do that might improve our factory intercooler, Edz actually said something to me about this, is install a fan behind the intercooler radiator to increase air flow across the coils.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by tofast4u-Cobra0
The only thing I would actually do that might improve our factory intercooler, Edz actually said something to me about this, is install a fan behind the intercooler radiator to increase air flow across the coils.

yeah, that's especially beneficial for staging at the track or in slow boulevard cruise conditions

there's a ton of room to do it on Lightnings...how easy will it be on the Cobra's?

a94cobra

Established Member
I wonder if there would be a way to ice the fluid in the cooler. Drain the antifreeze and put in regular ice water. Obviuosly for track use only. I wouldn't want it there all the time.

That might help.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Jimmy V. is certainly old enough to remember what a 'Cool Can' is:D

What would be a drag race oriented product is an intercooler reservoir tank that was larger but had a deep well in the center in which you could put ice to help cool the intercooler water.

Or perhaps some quick disconnect fittings so you route the intercooler water through tubing in a tank - a modified (not installed on the car) of ice and water between rounds.

Just thinking out loud here.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I just measured the intercooler radiator and it was 22.5"x7" and approx 2 inches behind it is the power steering radiator and then behind that is the engine radiator talk about allot of radiators.

I just found this site on installing a fan on a 99.5 Lightning the intercooler is the same as the 03 Cobra at least size wise.
http://www.nvlope.org/_tech/intercooler_fan_install.htm

Here is the site to the fan they used.
http://jaycorptech.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=5

I wonder if it would be actually worth it to do this. I might mount two of these fans next to each other on the intercooler that way it will also increase air flow to the power steering radiator and engine radiator. And direct wire or relay wire them to the factory radiator fan.

mineral03

Established Member
what i REALLY need to do, is hot wire a toggle switch/timer into the aux coolant pump( pump that feeds the IC), so i can run the pump and the fans in between runs...the aux pump only seems to run the the engine on right now, if the motor is off, it wont run period.

Daniel Moran

Established Member
I think you guys are referring to the engine oil cooler. I was at the Chicago International Auto Show back in Feb. when they introduced the 03 Cobra. They had a cut-away engine on display and it appeared to me that the supercharger intercooler was mounted underneath the blower, between the heads. This was discussed on another thread a couple of months ago.

mineral03

Established Member
Originally posted by Daniel Moran
I think you guys are referring to the engine oil cooler. I was at the Chicago International Auto Show back in Feb. when they introduced the 03 Cobra. They had a cut-away engine on display and it appeared to me that the supercharger intercooler was mounted underneath the blower, between the heads. This was discussed on another thread a couple of months ago.
The actual intercooler is under the blower, but the heat exchanger that cools it is in front of the radiator. Its an air/water setup.coolant is pumped from the resevoir into the heat exchanger,where its cooled by the ambient air.Then, its pumped into the intercooler, where the cooled water is used to cool the intake air charge.

a94cobra

Established Member
You would dilute the antifreeze to much. But if you changed it afterwards it shouldn't create any issues.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Ice in the intercooler

You realize the ice would be good for maybe 1 run down the dragstrip, two at most. Without a very large reservoir and lots of ice replacement, it will not remain ice cold. The fan behind the cooler and rewiring the pump to be able to turn it on while the car is off seem like good ideas! Just my .02

Jerry

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Jimmy V. is certainly old enough to remember what a 'Cool Can' is

Yes i am;-)
I think the fan on the intercooler would be good way to go,,

Jim V.

Users who are viewing this thread