Who will win???

TheBigHrn

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Well I have had my Cobra for about a week now....First time really driving a stick car by myself.... But heres the real point im getting at... My car has a 2.8 pully, upr idlers, bassani x pipe, flowmasters, upr cai, and a short throw shifter....All I know is that it is freaking fast... This kid wants to race me in his 91 3000gt, first he claims that he bought 2 16g turbos (identical to the EvoVIII's, bran new, each turbo for under 1k, wtf??) and he has forged internals....He claims that he will blow my doors off???? I am in total disagreement, but I need some opinions....Sorry that im a newb, and I cant give out ne more info than that, but could ya help me predict the outcome....Oh yea 1/4 race at a track....

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

TheBigHrn

Established Member
Thats what all the people I gave a ride so far said.... I go 110 in by the end 3rd gear pretty fast(dont know if thats good or not)...I just hope I dont choke for my first time at the track.... Off the subject topic, at what speeds can I safely drop down in gears at??? And any shifting tips???

Last edited:

2NA$TY

Established Member
you better practice launching, those 3000gt's are all wheel drive just as long as it is a VR4, which im sure it is. From a power standpoint, you should bust his a$$. Just as long as you can half way drive it wont even be funny. :pepper:

5.4 speedster

Banned
like said before they are all wheel drive. See if you can find out how much psi he's running. You should win but quite a few people know what cobras are all about and he might be prepared

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Like 2NA$TY said, they are all wheel drive, but the only one that is is the VR4. Hell he better hope its a VR4 or he will really be at a loss. You should be able to take him but dont go in being ****y or 100% sure you will win, cuz who knows

TheBigHrn

Established Member
It is a VR-4, but i think he said that hes going to run 22psi....This kid is 19 yrs old and says hes doing all the work himself....umm i can almost guarantee this 1) he bought some shitty fake turbos (where the hell do you find brand new 16g EvoVIII turbos for under 1k each?) dont turbos run like 3k for a good one???? And 2) I know that hes going to blow something.... After being out tonight running around Milwaukee, I blew the hell out of all sorts of AWD shit (eclipses, talons, evo, 90's camaro, 5.0 mustang)....THe only thing is I have a bald set of stock tires in the back, and in 1st, 2nd gear, the ass end keeps flying out.....I need to know if I can put on 315/35/17 Nitto DR's on the stock rim w/out modifying/shaving/adding shit on it to make it fit, and will that help me hook hard in 1st and 2nd???? NE ways keep the opinions coming
Thanks,
John

Last edited:

SVTspeed

Established Member
Yes the 315 nitto DRs will be fine for yout stock wheel - btw just cause im curious chrome or satin? But back to what you said... throw in DRs and youll really rip him a new 1.. personally i think if its a 1990 vr4 and he has that much power and he did the work himself itll probably blow up on its own

Cjavalanche

Established Member
he bought some shitty fake turbos (where the hell do you find brand new 16g EvoVIII turbos for under 1k each?)

Evo 3 big 16g turbos go for 600 bucks new, i dno about Evo 8 16g turbos, i know that the evo VIII is a reverse 4g63t, so the turbo is a lil different, he might be yankin your chain about the turbos being Evo 8 turbos, they are prolly Evo 3 turbos

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
lol, bench racing is fine in my book, magazine racing on the other hand...

probably evo III turbos like stated earlier, can be bought pretty cheap.

forged internals and 22psi of boost huh? I think you have a good shot of beating him and here's why. Those cars need quite a bit of work to make fast, they only run like 9-11psi stock. The engine needs rebuilding to run 22psi successfully, not to mention all the planning and tuning involved, you need resources for that. If he was an older guy who has done this before or someone with $ who brought the car to a performance shop, I would give him an edge. But the fact that he is 19 and doing it ALL himself tells me the car will probably not be as fast as he thinks. Unless of course he has some help.

Last edited:

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
I wouldn't be so quick to judge a 19 year old's ability to build a car... My brother built a 396 for his 71 Chevelle and ran 13.2s on street tires (Can you say heavy ass car to include the big block spinning the crap out of the tires)... This was his first time building/tuning a carburated engine (and don't give me any of that "it's easy" crap unless you've done it). Oh yeah, and he was only 17 at the time.

As for the other guy's car, high 13s at best when stock, and the turbos, it's been mentioned, 16G turbos aren't that expensive. The weight of the two cars will be about the same and the all wheel drive should give him the edge off the line; but as for the power he can make at 22psi and for how long... those are the big questions. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck,

Logan

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
If this kid at 19 manages to pull all this off and comes back and lays the smackdown on a pullied cobra then he could quite possibly be my new hero.

04HillzGT

Established Member
You will definitely need a pair of nittos on the rear, as mentioned the 3000GT does need a lot of work go have a chance to stand up to your Cobra. My advice Nittos and practice you definitley have the tools to beat him get some experience with the stick and hand him his ass and oh yeah video it for our enjoyment.

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
TheBigHrn said:
Thats what all the people I gave a ride so far said.... I go 110 in by the end 3rd gear pretty fast(dont know if thats good or not)...I just hope I dont choke for my first time at the track.... Off the subject topic, at what speeds can I safely drop down in gears at??? And any shifting tips???

Your car is probably superior but you mentioned that you are not really experienced with a stick. I consider myself so, and with street tires I was burnin' them off at the track. Cars that I hang with from a roll (my friends pullied lightening) were spanking me at the track. If you want to ensure a win get STICKY tires. good luck.

:beer:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yea and if you don't get sticky tires, don't get nervous when you see him pull way ahead at the start because the last thing you wanna do is put the pedal to the metal and try to catch him because you'll just sit there and spin and probably wheel hop which is bad. just get traction at the start and then by the end of 3rd you should be a few car lengths ahead

Users who are viewing this thread