Who Would Be Interested in a JDM Type Performance Shop in Myrtle Beach?

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Originally posted by sid297
And Matt you may be getting a call when I start to build the shop. You can handle all the surveying and stuff like that, right?
:lol:
Not just yet.
My fun classes start senior year, all I'm doing now is math and physics type stuff. :sleeping:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I really hope things work out for you Travis :thumbsup: I think its a great idea

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Two words: government loans. I'm hoping to get a few for a small business. When it comes down to it, what makes or breaks me is going to be word of mouth. I'll be needing everyone from this site and others to be telling everbody and their grandmothers about me. Also I expect all you guys in the South to give me some business. Especially you upcoming college grads.

Something you guys should know about me is that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to vehicles. You will be happy when you leave my shop.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Im opening a speed shop here in Las Vegas in about 6 months. Im really excited. I figuered since there where no local shops here that n e one caan trust id open my own. Complete installs from nitrous to blowers. Also if everything goes well within a year ill have a dyno.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Keep us informed on how it goes. I mostly want to do build ups and p+p work. I'm also planning on having a full machine shop, dyno, and possible do some custom interior work.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think my biggest problem is going to be finding mechanics I can trust. THere is a guy that I graduated HS with that I have in mind and a couple others. I just have to get them to move.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hey Jonothan, what kind of skills should you have after you get your mechanical engineering degree? I've been thinking and there may be a need for an engineer in the shop.

FoxRodStang

Established Member
Hey ya'll. Im all for a speed shop here, especially a Ford one. However, there are a few problems I think you should keep in mind before you drop your life savings into a speedshop in myrtle or nearby cities...
1. too many cheap people - they want 5k worth of work for 500 bucks.
2. this place dies in the winter. myrtle beach is a big tourist trap, in the summer it's packed, in the winter, its dead.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a shop just down the road to get work done & buy parts, I'm just tellin ya what I know from livin here my whole life.

Your right, there are no real speedshops here. Theres Showcarz, which does 99.9% ricer crap, & Jordan performance which I've heard mixed opinions of. There are no bumper to bumper shops around here. Myrtle Beach winters are hard for businesses b/c there are nuthin but locals here in the winter...the key is to keep us happy & we'll carry you through the winter.

Best of luck with it & keep us posted. If ya want, I'll keep my eyes open for a building for ya. Just lemme know.

Matt

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Actually I have a location in mind. I think I was called the Farmers Daughter reasturant. It's a blue building up north. Also that red resturant that has been closed for some time close to Carraba's. I'd like to keep it on 17 so it will be seen but out on 22 is undeveloped and possible cheap land. Anything else you can tell me will be appreciated.

FoxRodStang

Established Member
17 would be a great location, it'll cost ya a bit to buy land because it's right on 17, but, you need to be visible to the tourists who don't know who & where you are or that the shop even exists for that matter.

There is nothing developed on 22 that I know of so-far. I'll check tomorrow what the zoning classes are out there. Is there a particular area of 22 you were lookin at?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not too far off 17 would be best. I appreciate all the help you're giving me.

I'm not trying to depend only on the casual tourists for business. I want to build up a reputation that will bring people in. Being at the beach is a plus because people could bring their vehicle and drop it off with me. Then they could pick it up after a week on the beach all new and improved.

Anything else that you could tell me, about the area, people, laws, ect, would be great.

FoxRodStang

Established Member
umm, people wise, there's waaaayyy too many ricers for my taste. Lots of stupid people with bad taste in customizing lol. -ex a older early 90's S10, rust holes everywhere, dude's got a 94-98 saleen front bumper cover mounted to the stock bumper! what is this guy thinkin!? sorry had to vent for a sec.

Laws, nothin really funky. No state inspections & no emissions tests so you ain't gotta worry bout any mess with the cops if ya get pulled.

The closest real drag strip is darlington (1- 1 1/2 hour drive). There's a drag strip out on 90 (bout 6 min down 22 from the beach) but, it's only an 1/8 mile & they have really funky hours - you never know when/if they'll be open.

Matt

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I plan on having a very nice web site to sell on as well. Darlington will def be my home track. I have a nice plan on how to get the shops name out. Hopfully in 2-3 years I'll be able to really start things rolling.

GodStang

Established Member
Hey man I would love that here is SC. I have always wanted to open one also. I love working on cars and Have tought about doing it but just don't have the money. You ever need an extra Mechanic I am here for ya. Best of luck and I will come see it when you have thegrand opening. Nothing beats getting a car souped up and then crusing the strip!!

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Originally posted by snail50
jus' checkin' in wit' a free post for brotha sid. wooot.

Now how bad ass would it be to have a Yugo sitting up at the shop Sid? lol ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread