Who would win, me or 96 SS?

Skudra

Established Member
Buddy just bought a 96 Camaro SS. He thinks he's the cats ass now. Who would win in a friendly race? His mods are basically the same as mine, exhasut, air filter. Let's say a race before my 4.10's go in and after!! :pepper: :pepper:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Driver's race, he'll probably get ya.... I raced a 97ss with the same mods as me, and got him by a half car maybe... Ditch that heavy ass stereo in the back, and you'll be better off...

SVTclutch

Established Member
Ditch the stereo and wait until after you have the 410's in. Then you should have him

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Well at least ur clutch is about 10x the hold capacity that you need so you should not have to worry about that.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Both MotorTrend and Car&Driver did articles on these cars in 1996. It is an LT1 and the Cobra should take him with wider than stock tires. The HP ratings were the same at 305, but the Cobra is lighter.
Slow98GT said:
A 96 is a LT1, correct? I did not think these were that fast, guess I was wrong.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
You should take him really good with the gears, as of right now it would be close basically a drivers race and whoever car is running better that day.

Take the subs and box out for the race, save 50 pounds.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Yeah, the cars were rated the same, but the added displacement of the LT1 make it a pretty consistant runner. I'll agree with everyone else that it'll be a drivers race. I've never really had real trouble with them, but it's always been close depending on their mods - a pretty fun race. Get gears and sticky tires, and it's over.

96laserRedcobra

Established Member
You would win I just raced my friends 97 camaro ss and he had headers and dumps. All I had was a cat-back. We were even in first untill about 4000rpms and then I put 2 car lengths on him in the middle of third.

Skudra

Established Member
Very good to hear guys. For some odd reason I thought it was an LS1. He's pretty damn ****y about it and I would love to whoop his ass.

I think I wanna see what its like without gears and then with gears. Off topic, how long's the break in period on the gears?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
96laserRedcobra said:
You would win I just raced my friends 97 camaro ss and he had headers and dumps. All I had was a cat-back. We were even in first untill about 4000rpms and then I put 2 car lengths on him in the middle of third.

My buddy race a 98 ws6 in 98 cobra. The Ws6 had a lid and catback, and my buddy has full bassani exhaust and intake and he lost by a half a car. Good kill

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
WTF??? A 97 SS is an LT1 both 305 and both post very similar track times, its for sure a drivers race, "kinda funny"

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
My buddy race a 98 ws6 in 98 cobra. The Ws6 had a lid and catback, and my buddy has full bassani exhaust and intake and he lost by a half a car. Good kill

98 is the 1st year of the LS1 in a F-body so your friend did good, LS1's are alot faster than LT1's.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Slow98GT said:
98 is the 1st year of the LS1 in a F-body so your friend did good, LS1's are alot faster than LT1's.
I dont have a problem with either...for the most part

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Slow98GT said:
In this area there is a really badass LS1..H/C/I Nitrous. I raced him when I was on street tires and before some other mild things. I ran with him from a half car behind and I jumped him from about a 5-10mph roll. Of course he didn't spray or I would have been toast. :thumbsup:

mackj66

Established Member
I raced a LT1 SS Camaro with the mods listed below...it wasn't even a race. I jumped him from the get go, and never looked back. I shut down by the end of second, but I was extending a two-three car lead. Most of the jump was due to my Nittos!!! I hooked almost right away with a 3300 RPM dump. Gotta love traction!!! :)

And yes, he was racing...we both gave each other props afterwards.

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
hit your gears, and your extra 1000rpms will help you get out in front. When i was bone stock, i raced a bone stock lt1 and it was door to friggen door. The only reason i won was because when he shifted, i gained about a 1/3 of a car cause i had the extra rpms to wind out.

pottsy

Established Member
Since you don't have gears, he could get you if you're not the best driver...but with the 4.10's and traction I would say you have an advantage, you have a top end power advantage but he has quite a bit of low end torque on you.

Users who are viewing this thread