Who would you have tune your Ecoboosts?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
What are the typical gains from adding the CAI/Filter after being tuned?

What are the typical gains from adding the downpipes after being tuned?

What brand thermostat are you guys using? All 170 degrees?

What plugs at what gap?

I'm on a Lund tune on my 14 Explorer sport and love it. Could always use more though. lol

I did a swap at the track with an Airade on the SHO. It made .05 decrease in elapsed time, and .3 mph increase. That was when the car was completely stock. The Airade is currently on the Explorer, and I have a K&N typhoon on the SHO. Probably the same HP improvement, neglible, but it does sound cool. Consensus is a K&N replacement in the stock box. I might try that next track outing.

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=118724

Running SP534s(stock 2013 Motorcrafts) gapped at .30 in the SHO. Stock plugs unchecked in the Explorer. I need to pull them and check the gaps. The SHO stock plugs had 70K miles and the gap was .38, way too big.

Running stock Tstats in both cars. I know they push the Tstat, but why? Seems like fluff just like the CAI's that haven't shown to pickup anything.

I'm waiting on DP's for the SHO. Ordered them on 1/2, not here yet. Gonna do third cat delete. Then a catback exhaust. DONE after that, I'm saving for another car.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

I'm one of your returning clients. What mode is the Explorer being launched in. So far I've only done normal with TC off. I've thought about Sand is it seems much more peppier down low. I'm probably ordering catteddown pipes for it next month, wife's hauler.:beer:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
"What are the typical gains from adding the CAI/Filter?

What are the typical gains from adding the downpipes?

I'm on a Lund tune on my 14 Explorer sport and love it. Could always use more though. lol"

unfortunately we can not tell you what kind of gains you will see in conjunction with a competitors product.

Take a look at our shop Explorer sport
Livernois Motorsports 2013 Explorer Sport Race Tune - YouTube
Livernois Motorsports 12 sec Explorer Cat Back Exhaust & Down-pipe - YouTube
Livernois Motorsports 2013 Explorer Sport - YouTube

I had seen your vids before. Nice work. I was more looking for numbers over and above just the tune... Like tune + filter... Or Tune plus down pipes/cat delete... I understand you can't guess competitors numbers but what would you say your numbers are? The numbers won't be that much different from other guys tunes.

Side note. With just the down pipe does the exhaust sound like your "catback & downpipe" vid? I want the performance but I want to keep my exhaust quiet..

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I'm one of your returning clients. What mode is the Explorer being launched in. So far I've only done normal with TC off. I've thought about Sand is it seems much more peppier down low. I'm probably ordering catteddown pipes for it next month, wife's hauler.:beer:

Same exact situation I'm in too... I also agree with you on the Sand mode. I think it's mode 2. If you watch the AWD torque distribution on the gauge on the left side of the speedo you can see it's way more rear wheel biased than the stock setting.

I want the pipes but not the terrible sound of a V-6 exhaust. lol. :beer:

Franchi

Established Member
Been running a MPT tune on my 12 Ecoboost DD for over a year now and very happy with it. 375 rwhp and 552 torque with basic boltons and 93 MPT tune.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
good info guys, was not even aware that bullydog offered anything. i will google MPT and see what they offer.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Been running a MPT tune on my 12 Ecoboost DD for over a year now and very happy with it. 375 rwhp and 552 torque with basic boltons and 93 MPT tune.

552 TQ? What are your basic boltons? Is this in an F150? I saw a lot of F150 tunes sporting 450+TQ but not 550...

I wonder what is different about the Explorer sport and why I haven't seen any 500+TQ numbers anywhere else?

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
to address some of the questions on here.

I have no idea how the guys were launching or what mode the truck was in at the track.

generally you see a 12-15hp difference in the down-pipes.(typical gains on the F-150's and SHO's) Keep in mind the down-pipes on our shop truck are prototypes. Once we get the parts to release to the public i'm sure the marketing guys will give us some more data.

again the truck in the video has the down-pipes and the Corsa (It sounds like a Grand National) We have not done just down-pipes with the OE cat back to my knowledge. The SHO's and F-150's get just a little louder.

"How are dealerships with warranty work on tuned ecoboosts?"

this all depends on the working relationship you have with the service writer/manager at the dealership. We sell these products to dealerships all over the country. Our tunes have proven to be reliable for our entire lineup. The best advice I can give is for you to stay on top of it and put the vehicle back to OE BEFORE you go in for any service.

The tuners for ecoboost vehicles are very reasonable and you are supported as long as you are the original owner of the device.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I have no idea how the guys were launching or what mode the truck was in at the track.

Since it is your shop vehicle can you ask? I would like to know since I'm running the LMS tune in both of my EB vehicles.

Also I will be running FFW in Houston with the SHO. I'll be in True Street class. Wanna send me a windshield banner? The event will take place march 29.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
to address some of the questions on here.

generally you see a 12-15hp difference in the down-pipes.(typical gains on the F-150's and SHO's) Keep in mind the down-pipes on our shop truck are prototypes. Once we get the parts to release to the public i'm sure the marketing guys will give us some more data.

again the truck in the video has the down-pipes and the Corsa (It sounds like a Grand National) We have not done just down-pipes with the OE cat back to my knowledge. The SHO's and F-150's get just a little louder.

"How are dealerships with warranty work on tuned ecoboosts?"

this all depends on the working relationship you have with the service writer/manager at the dealership. We sell these products to dealerships all over the country. Our tunes have proven to be reliable for our entire lineup. The best advice I can give is for you to stay on top of it and put the vehicle back to OE BEFORE you go in for any service.

The tuners for ecoboost vehicles are very reasonable and you are supported as long as you are the original owner of the device.

Thanks for the answers. Will you post back in here if you guys get some downpipes for Explorer sports available for sale?

Users who are viewing this thread