Whoa!!! Would this cause a significant vacuum leak?

1990stanggt

Established Member
When I pulled the S/C and lower intake awhile back, the lower intake gaskets were blue. I reused them and since I'll be pulling the intake again soon, I'm ordering new ones. I just realized, based on Rockauto's website, that I should not have the blue colored gaskets, but instead a reddish colored gasket since my truck is an 01. Would using this incorrect gasket cause any considerable problems? And just to make sure, there is no way that the lower intake manifold could be a 99-01 style and the upper to be an 01+ style is there? I'm sure I have an 01+ style upper because the IAT2 sensor is on the passenger side....could this be part of my truck's problem?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
You cannot mix lowers and uppers from different years. The 99-00 and 01-04 upper to lower bolt pattern is off. You might just have a completely new setup from the block up.

Does the intake look like this inside with an individual runner for each cylinder and the IAT2 sensor on the passenger side?
DSCN4080.jpg

You might also want to check the bolt pattern on the S/C.
all3superchargers.jpg

Personally, I would never reuse lower intake gaskets. I've seen to many of them fold a lip over and suck coolant into the first or last cylinder to many times to take that gamble.

1990stanggt

Established Member
The lower looks like the one you have pictured, and the sensor is located on one of the passenger side runners. As far as the S/C, I have a Kenne Bell and didn't really look at the bottom of it too much. I shouldn't have reused the gasket but at the time, it seemed like a good idea. :kaboom:

So it looks the truck does have the wrong lower gaskets on it since they are blue in color. They did seem to line up correctly though, what exactly is the difference between the different year model gaskets? They look pretty much the same in pictures as well....:shrug:

The truck idles like it has a bad vacuum leak, I couldn't find anything with carb cleaner, but maybe the leak is under the lower intake where I couldn't really spray it. What other kind of problems would an incorrect gasket cause?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
You have an 01-04 lower intake on your engine.

The Ford lower intake gaskets are blue in color. Did you hook the PCV line back up to the bottom of the lower? Did you inspect it while you had everything off to make sure the elbow was good?

It does not matter if you have a KB or an Eaton. The bolt pattern is the same from the S/C to the midplate.

1990stanggt

Established Member
I deleted that line on the bottom of the lower with a pipe plug since it wasn't being used, one less that to worry about that way.

The pictures on Rockauto's website are a little misleading then. They show that the pre-01 intake gaskets are supposed to be blue while the post-01 gaskets are a reddish brown color, of course, those are fel-pro gaskets, not Ford ones. I assume the ones on my truck right now are fel-pro's since the motor has been built. I guess I'll see what they look like when I order them and go from there.

Thanks for the help Eric!

Taunto

Established Member
personally i replace every gasket I take apart.. that way i know for sure its not gonna leak on me as long as its torqued down properly. Plus the supercharger gasket and midplate gasket is a compressed gasket anyway

1990stanggt

Established Member
Taunto,

The S/C to midplate gasket is basically just a rubber o-ring correct? I'm pretty sure that was all that was there on my truck, it didn't look like something that could be changed though, it is sort of built into the bottom of the KB....:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread