Whole Home Stereo System

2000gt4.6

Established Member
As said previously. Everything you want to do can be done with a standard receiver and wired speakers. Not only will that be cheaper but it will sound infinitely better.

For the home theater go big. Big towers, big speakers, and place them correctly. If you do that you don't need to spend a lot of money for something to sound amazing. Too many people think they can get these tiny little chic speakers and have it sound great and physics dictates that it won't. There's the other problem of people that put the TV over the fireplace, the center speaker in the corner of the room, and the surrounds and sides placed willy nilly all over the room. Spend some time setting things up and your dumpster diving craigslist find will blow a high dollar compromise away. And no, I'm not joking, hit Craigslist....audiophiles are in a constant battle with their wives over systems and many times they'll hock them on Craigslist when the wife wins and installs Bose or Sonos in the house.

AVS is a good source for info but take what those audio molesters say with a grain of salt. Audiophiles tend to not be grounded in reality and don't recognize points of diminishing returns well. If you've ever been to a bar and someone is sitting there sniffing, gurgling, and over analyzing a scotch so much that you want to throw a chair at them.....that's the people on AVS with audio/video.

If you want to do it right drop some coin on high end headphones instead. $1-$2k of headphone gear will destroy a comparably priced speaker system.

I have a regular home theater setup already. It's actually a little older on the reciever so I doubt it does Bluetooth. However if we're in that room I would just use the TV and the system.

What I'm looking for is sound in every room of the house other than the TV room. A single speaker in each room to play music or YouTube/Netflix over from a mobile device. As I'm using a phone/tablet speaker now so any sound quality would improve things.

I just hate having to use headphones and my wife really hates it when I do (can't talk to her with em in). I also wear earplugs 9+ hours a day at work, after that the last thing you want is something in your ear.

I really figured there would be a easy solution by now, plug n play. I'm almost leaning to buying a couple soundbars with Bluetooth, though that would limit it to one room at a time.

If I went with a reciever and wired speaker setup I would need it to have the range to reach the mobile device from anywhere in the house, which Bluetooth would struggle with I think. (3rd garage is my reloading room, I want it there). And speaker selection from an app would be nice. I'd almost need to mount it in the attic to hide the wires.

08mojo

Established Member
The chromecast audio and videos do not sync together. For my TV room, I have both an audio and video chromecast. Throughout the rest of the house, I have chomecast audios.

From your post above, sounds like you just need a portable bluetooth speaker. Lots of good options out there.

Deric

Established Member
I know you said you've had a half-assed system before, and some may consider mine to be the same. However, It works well for me in my small log cabin.

I just rebuilt my kitchen and bathroom from the ground up (dug out the crawl space too). It has a wood pellet stove that runs off 120v AC but needs a 12v deep cycle with transformer for emergency back-up. Since I know more about car audio than home audio, I have a double din in-dash unit in the wall, wired to the deep cycle on a battery tender under the floor. It has bluetooth, radio, and aux, while my Amazon Echo wirelessly sends it pandora from its wifi feed.
It plays in both rooms. However, I can select right or left speakers if for some reason I want it playing in only in one room. It's very cheap and very upgradable.

TK Doom

Established Member
I didn't see it, but what phone ecosystem are you using?
If it is the iPhone system, you could use Airport Express' to do the job. I'm not going to type out a long how-to unless needed though. =)

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I didn't see it, but what phone ecosystem are you using?
If it is the iPhone system, you could use Airport Express' to do the job. I'm not going to type out a long how-to unless needed though. =)

No apple in the house. I ended up buying a soundboard for now and installed it in a hidden spot. Working pretty well for what we want and turned up uiu can hear it thru most of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread