Who's going to be the first?

BlackMamba3

Established Member
So according to the Liberty's High Performance Products homepage, the new Tremec T-56 Magnum 6-speed is now available. It might of been on this forum or another but I read it's been available for over a year? Interesting.

Anyway, who's going to bite the bullet and purchase one of these? According to the Tremec website, there is two options for first gear, 2.66 and 2.97. Which would you chose and why? The 2.97 would be similar to the MT-82. Also, what rear end gear would you run?

Let's hear comments, suggestions, whatever else.

wbt

Banned
I would take the hit and trade for an auto before I would ever consider swapping the MT-82 out for this.....

Not to mention I don't think anyone has been able to get the speedo to work with this swap yet.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I had heard JPC was developing components to make the speedo work but don't quote me on it.

To me, people get a little off the map saying how bad the MT-82 is. I probably wouldn't upgrade to this tranny either. Just curious if anyone had given it thought.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
The only thing I hate about the mt82 is the pointless 6th gear. If it was a .50 it would be perfect

grnenvy

Established Member
I really like the auto in my car but I also liked the T56 in my Cobra. It was a little notchy but it got the job done. If the new magnum T56 comes with triple syncro's for easy shifting and all the other goodies that would be a nice upgrade for the manual guys.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
I made a thread about th a week ago. I'll be pro charging my 2011 m6 first before anything but if the mt-82 gives me any serious trouble I'll consider doing the magnum swap only on the fact that I've personally owned and t-56 magnum In my 1991 fox body and I'll tell you that it was the best and I mean best trans I ever shifted or owned! It was amazing and yes they have tripple syncros in them 1-4th I believe. I also did the research on the gearing and the 2.97 first gear magnum option with a 4.10 gear would be about equivalent to a mt-82 with a 3.73 except with the magnum you'll stay in 4th through the traps. D&D said that they do have a converter box to make the speedo work now. So that won't be an issue at all anymore.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
To me, the MT-82 has proven itself worthy. A member on here is throwing over 800 lb/ft of torque at it. I wouldn't replace it until it broke. Triple synchros for 1st-4th is an excellent feature. Glad D&D has the converter box.

What about 2.97 first gear with 3.73 rear end? It's a little off from the MT-82 but I think it'd be ok.

acrbill

Established Member
To me, the MT-82 has proven itself worthy. A member on here is throwing over 800 lb/ft of torque at it. I wouldn't replace it until it broke.

As far as I know nobody has broken their MT-82. The problems are caused by faulty internal parts. If you have a trans with no issues then there is no need to swap. If you have a trans with issues and you have mods that will void your warranty then it may be a worthwhile swap.

I went the trade my car for an auto equipped one and can't say that I am in love with it. There is no doubt that my trans was giving me fits but after driving manual trans cars exclusively for over 10 years I am having withdrawals.

Grabber2012

Established Member
I went the trade my car for an auto equipped one and can't say that I am in love with it. There is no doubt that my trans was giving me fits but after driving manual trans cars exclusively for over 10 years I am having withdrawals.
That's exactly why I couldn't bring myself to go auto all my stangs have been sticks, and I knew if I had gotten an auto it would've gotten boring to drive. Yeah I know there better at the track but who only drives there car just to the track? Mine will see 2-3 track visits a year other than that it's strictly an enjoyable every day driven street car.

5pointslo

Established Member
If my mt82 goes out I'm ready for the swap but knock on wood still good. Hopefully by the time mine craps out all the t56 drama will be worked out I would hope. Mines a street car so manual is more enjoyable for me. If it was a straight track car def auto FTW

Users who are viewing this thread