Who's had the intercooler recall done

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
How many have had the the intercooler replaced under the new service bulletin? Are you happy with the way it was done and the results?

whip

Established Member
Funny you should ask!!! I called several weeks ago and they asured me they would haave all the parts in stock. I have to be in VA this sunday as I'm getting on a ship going over seas. I drove down last week (25 miles) drove home in a rental, they called and said they didn't have the parts, drove down and picked up the L and drove home. I am now waiting for the parts to get it and have put a bunch of miles on the truck (while leaking) trying to get it fixed. I am ready to drive the truck threw the show room window (WALTHAM FORD!!!) and hand them the keys. I really hope I put a rod threw the block driving down there next time! Now the L is going to have to be stored dirty for six to eight months, maybe even stored with a leaking I/C to drip into my intake. They talked to me like I'm a moron, "how do you KNOW its leaking?" "How do you know thats where its leaking?" I have six Fords in my driveway, and I'm about ready to go shopping for an R/T if this keeps up!

retics4me

Established Member
My parts are in (again) and im going to take her in tomorrow night . nice part is ill just sit and watch the tech do it .. i know him from the real world so i dont have to worry about anything . i hope its true what they say about a little power increase!
Jason

1PT21GW

Established Member
hey Rick !

Yep, just had mine done.

It actually started to leak at 10,000 miles on the nose ! (when I noticed it anyway)

I called the dealership I take it to, Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent, AND THEY ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, THANKS SHARON!!!!! and she said FORD just had made it a recall type deal.

anyway.... I was on my way out of town, dropped off my truck because she had the parts for me already, and picked it up the next day on my way back in to town.

This was absoluteyly the BEST SERVICE EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD !!!

Hope things go well for ya !!

Any questions.. just let me know.

Later,
Jason

retics4me

Established Member
Got mine done last night . whats cool is i know the tech so i just sat in the shop and watched. actually aint that bad of a job... i thought there would be alot more invoved.
one thing for sure i notice a power increase ..ill know for sure at the strip in a few weeks.
jASON

FlaSVT

Established Member
Mines not leaking as of now but I was thinking of having this done when I take it in for the wiper motor recall. :sad

whip

Established Member
Its friday. Service dept closed on weekend. I need truck to drive to VA sunday. Looks like I'm S.O.L.!!!!! Two weeks to fix an intercooler is unacceptable. I hope I cool off a bit while out to sea, beacuse otherwise the L is getting sold when I get back. I love the truck, I hate the way FORD treats its customers, both the factory and the dealer.

LightninSVT

Established Member
New to this forum

Had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago with the newest parts, i posted the service order over on F150online. I noticed alot better performance at full throttle (mine was leaking pretty bad). I'm on the complete opposite side of the US from you, but my dealership gave me to problems at all.

When i went to pick it up, the service manager was sitting right next to my truck and a Saleen that he parked up there, to make sure nothing happened to them.:r:

FlaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by whip
Its friday. Service dept closed on weekend. I need truck to drive to VA sunday. Looks like I'm S.O.L.!!!!! Two weeks to fix an intercooler is unacceptable. I hope I cool off a bit while out to sea, beacuse otherwise the L is getting sold when I get back. I love the truck, I hate the way FORD treats its customers, both the factory and the dealer.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting this taken care of. Are they having problems getting the parts in. Sounds like a lot of the guys are getting this done right now.

FlaSVT

Established Member
LightninSVT - Welcome to the site. :D

Tim - You'll know if it's leaking by keeping an eye on the intercooler coolant tank. If the level starts dropping, the intercooler is probably leaking.

Heres some info on it:

TO:All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT:Owner Notification Program 01B81 - Certain 1999 and 2000 Model Year F150 Lightning Vehicles -
Intercooler Replacement

REealer Announcement dated May 10, 1999, Low Volume Announcement Letter Dealer Announcement dated 12/17/98, Special Handling Procedure

OASIS:Yes
OWNER LIST:Yes
PARTS RETURN:No
PROGRAM TERMS:This program will be in effect until September 30, 2002, regardless of mileage.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
Certain 1999 and 2000 model year F150 Lightning vehicles built at the Ontario Truck Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1999 model year through the end of production for the 2000 model year.

REASON FOR PROGRAM
In some of the affected vehicles, the supercharger intercooler may fracture and create an internal coolant leak. If this occurs the vehicle may experience loss of engine performance at full throttle.

SERVICE ACTION
Dealers must replace the supercharger's intercooler sub-assembly and top-off the intercooler coolant system on all affected vehicles.

LOW VOLUME PROGRAM
This recall is being processed as a Low Volume Program. This type of field action was announced in an All-Dealer letter dated May 10,
1999. Owners will be contacting the Low Volume Recall Coordination Center to arrange for this service. We will advise you via MORS III
of the owners that chose your dealership to perform the service provided by this Owner Notification Program. The parts will be ordered for you by the Program Coordination Center.

whip

Established Member
OK, last update! Friday afternoon I called and the lady said she was looking at my truck and the mechanic was right in the middle of it and it should be done in an hour. I drive down there only to find my truck parked right where I left it two days prior. Never touched it! Now I get to take an Amtrack to VA instead of my Lightning! I will NEVER NEVER give WALTHAM FORD my bussiness again. The best the manager could offer was to give me a free rental if I have it fixed when I come home. I have extended warrenty, its free anyway! Well sorry this is a disgruntled post everyone. Time to pack up the computer to head out to sea. I hope you guys keep going faster and I'll be back on the boards (and at NE dragway) come spring!

Tim Bindon

Established Member
FlaSVT - Thanks for the input. I've checked my intercooler coolant level and doesn't seem to change. However lately when I get on it I smell burning coolant... or at least I think I do from time to time. Maybe it's just all in my head.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread