Why 17X7's for the front and not 17XSmaller?

Untchbl

Established Member
As I start to decide on which wheels both for street use as well as trips to the track, I'm confused by all of the guys that go with a 17x7 up front?

Are you guys using that extra tire because you are daily driving your "skinnies?"

Am I missing something by going thinner on a 17" front runner?

I plan to have a set of 19" or 20" wheels for street use, with my big and skinny setup only seeing time at the track and the occasional trip around town. I couldn't really find any info on this.

Thanks

debit_free_2010

Established Member
You have more and cheaper tire choices with a 7" wheel. Also a 7" wheel will handle a little better.

I'm using a 225/55-17 Nexen A/S, got them for around $120 mounted from a local tire shop.

q6543

Established Member
I've dd on the racestar skinnys, I did lock them up once or twice.... just don't corner or stop too hard and youll be fine

20lbbooster

Established Member
17x4.5" don't do very well in an emergency maneuver or with hard braking. I ran skinnies daily for a while and finally got tired of the way it felt. It wasn't terrible, but going back to a 19x9 made all the difference. Now I run my drag setup only at the track.

Also, like mentioned before, tire choices are fewer and more expensive for the skinny tires.

scotmach

Established Member
I sold a set of 17x4.5 Welds for a set of 17x7 Welds and was glad I did. The 17x4.5's sat to low in front and I was never comfortable with the way it stopped on the street.

Last edited:

Untchbl

Established Member
I would have guessed that it was for safety reasons.

Good to know on the tire options too. Weight penalty for the wider wheel/tire combo is probably negligible?

Holovacko

Established Member
I travel at least a 1000 miles per month. Also, no front sway bar. Had the 26" M&H on the front, switched to the M/T 28" tire. Just for extra ground clearance. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456963152.954038.jpg

pickles

Established Member
Daily'ed on skinnies for years... Grow a pair...

I've daily'ed on skinnies for years too. Can it be done? Absolutely.

But it will never handle nor stop as good as the wider wheel/tire in an emergency situation. I now run a 17x7 and haven't looked back.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The difference in weight is like 4 lbs each. Get the 7's and have a wide selection of tires and more safety.

If your that worried about weight on the street then take a big crap before going out! LOL

FATHERFORD

Established Member
I drove around on my bigs and littles nearly every day. Always worried about pot holes, bumps in the road, etc.

I switch to my 19x9's and 19x12's and I have so much more fun daily driving the car.

sdoo500

Established Member
Planning on getting some bias plys for my M6 car. Plenty of tire choices for 17x7 that are bias plys as well and won't give me horrible sway up top?

Untchbl

Established Member
Thanks guys! All good things to consider. I had just noticed it seemed to be a trend. I have no plans to daily drive the setup.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I think I am going to go with 17x7's in the front because I do a lot of roll racing and don't want the death sway up top. Not sure if there will be too much of a difference in the looks department though, would there?

Users who are viewing this thread