Why am I shredding belts?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Sooo, you ever figure this out? Can't start a thread like this and not give a result , lol. Just got a second lower setup purchasing a ring lmk if you looking for a hub to test.

lilmarauder

Established Member
I have been talking with metco, and I shipped put my hub and ring. When they inspected it, they told me that it was NOT thier hub and ring. When I purchased the kit from a member in this site, everything was packaged and sealed in metco boxes and was brand new.

Somehow someway, I got a knock off hub and ring, that someone went through a lot of effort to make it seem like a metco piece. And it was put in a new sealed bag and the whole 9.

I purchased a new metco hub and ring and will post when I install

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have been talking with metco, and I shipped put my hub and ring. When they inspected it, they told me that it was NOT thier hub and ring. When I purchased the kit from a member in this site, everything was packaged and sealed in metco boxes and was brand new.

Somehow someway, I got a knock off hub and ring, that someone went through a lot of effort to make it seem like a metco piece. And it was put in a new sealed bag and the whole 9.

I purchased a new metco hub and ring and will post when I install

glad that thing ended up in the trash where it belongs….but man thats a rotten deal. You should disclose who you bought that from here so their trader rep can reflect such an egregious offense. Or at least they can explain a bit further what in the heck happened. That could have caused some serious damage not to mention all the lost time/effort you experienced

TRBO VNM

glad that thing ended up in the trash where it belongs….but man thats a rotten deal. You should disclose who you bought that from here so their trader rep can reflect such an egregious offense. Or at least they can explain a bit further what in the heck happened. That could have caused some serious damage not to mention all the lost time/effort you experienced

Agree. But still what doesn't make sense is that the hub measured correct per Metco spec right? So maybe it was the ring. I wonder if the mounting points were offset with this other ring. I know metco you don't have a front and back, but if this other one was offset, that could be the problem and possibly even reversing it could have fixed the issue. Or just the machining of the ring was wrong all together.

lilmarauder

Established Member
Yes I asked rick to trash it. I honestly don't know if the seller did the "swap" or not, not entirely sure how to handle that since it was last year. I have a about 100 dollars in belts, and about 8 hours under the car. At least the problem was found.
Agree. But still what doesn't make sense is that the hub measured correct per Metco spec right? So maybe it was the ring. I wonder if the mounting points were offset with this other ring. I know metco you don't have a front and back, but if this other one was offset, that could be the problem and possibly even reversing it could have fixed the issue. Or just the machining of the ring was wrong all together.
Yes the hub did measure 2.40 inches like rick specified. Also the alternator is the factory unit from when the car was new. Every ear was consistent to my findings. I did flip the rings around as well and there was no change. It is definately puzzling. They did say the ring was not consistant, but I have no reason to believe metco would steer me wrong. I also wanted to get ahold of you about a hellion single kit for my car

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Have you contacted the seller? Could be an honest mistake. I trust people on here with a few positive sales. My sadistic side also likes the treatment of scammers. This is a big site but the regulars make it feel like a community. :beer:

lilmarauder

Established Member
Have you contacted the seller? Could be an honest mistake. I trust people on here with a few positive sales. My sadistic side also likes the treatment of scammers. This is a big site but the regulars make it feel like a community.
I havent, but will try to. I have also had pretty good luck with buying, and selling also. Who knows how I ended up with the crap ring and hub.

RKHiPerformance

www.MetcoMotorsports.com
Established Member
The ring and hub Chris sent to us are clearly knock-offs, likely LFP parts. We found a number of characteristics resulting from the different manufacturing processes that left no doubt that these parts were not made in our shop.
Obviously, the fact that these parts were presented as Metco parts, even packaged as Metco parts, is very disturbing.

In any case, your Metco hub and ring shipped to you today, Chris. While we did not spend any time troubleshooting the parts you returned, it is my expectation that the replacement parts will finally resolve your problem. If that turns out not to be the case for some reason, you know you can reach me and I will continue to assist you.

Metco on the left:
Metco%20vs%20LFP%202_zpsnmdldyq7.jpg

Rick
Metco Motorsports

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Are there any telltale signs to look for if it's a Metco or not? I have an extra setup I got from a friend when buying his ring and would like to know for sure if it is or not before I list it. Also which ones had the "skeleton" style idler bracket are they all solid now?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Sorry I didn't answer you prior, for some reason I haven't been getting notifications until just recently? I just figured out you where the person PM me.

To answer your question yes, after purchasing many other parts and doing lots of shimming and everything else that was recommended. The HUB was the problem. At high RPM the belt would jump exactly a rib on the front of the crank and with time shred it.

I said it from the beginning, the HUB was the problem. I also ended up with a knock off METCO HUB, after almost a year of shredding belts many hours replacing brackets, idlers, tensioners, shimming and talking to Rick @ METCO who btw tried very hard to resolve the problem over the phone. After many days of troubleshooting my tuner decided to just to buy a complete new lower kit from them and problem solved. BTW my HUB has no markings. Hope your problem is solved soon? It took me almost a year of frustration to get this resolved.

TRBO VNM

Hmm, I have a guy that is eating belts as well. I think it is a metco lower, but he may have bought it himself thinking he was saving money. He does have an eagle auto electric alt, so I am thinking it is a pulley alignment issue. Will check it out when he is over next time

OP, drop me a pm about the kit.

Last edited:

lilmarauder

Established Member
So the new metco hub and ring came today. I installed it all to spec, and it is exactly the same as the knock off hub and ring I had. Super dissapointed.

I am at a loss, I am considering selling the entire set up and associated parts, and buying a hellion single kit...anyone interested in a mint Whipple 2.9?

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Crap. So you got the new Metco kit in and still have the issue with the lower sitting out further than the rest of the pulleys?

I have essentially the same setup as you and I ate a rib off my belt last week. Measured the same thing as you, lower pulley sitting out further from blower pulley about .080". I was set to order a new metco pulley and possibly hub (since you had measured the hub as being correct). Now i may look into having the pulley face or hub face machined to bring it in.

Keep us posted :beer:

lilmarauder

Established Member
Crap. So you got the new Metco kit in and still have the issue with the lower sitting out further than the rest of the pulleys?

I have essentially the same setup as you and I ate a rib off my belt last week. Measured the same thing as you, lower pulley sitting out further from blower pulley about .080". I was set to order a new metco pulley and possibly hub (since you had measured the hub as being correct). Now i may look into having the pulley face or hub face machined to bring it in.

Keep us posted
Yes, correct. Brand new parts from metco, same issue as the knock off part.

The measurements are the same from my calipers. Hub to hub. I'm sticking out past everything else about .115 a little less than an 1/8th inch.

I'm gathering it's either

Get it Machined down and hope it's correct

Or put the factory lower back on, and spin the living shit out of the upper pulley.

I am in NO WAY bashing or bad mouthing metco. Rick has been nothing but helpful in the situation, and has showed true concern with my issue. My car has only metco idlers/brackets on it and i love their stuff. This is an issue that most likely lies within my car and this is just to keep people updated like I said I would for future reference. Great people at metco.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Man what a bummer.

Since you have both, have you measured the thickness of the center web area of either lower pulley? I’m pulling mine off tonight and I’d be curious to compare that as well as the 2.40” total hub height.

I wouldn’t be so sure that this is an issue with just your car. I know of plenty of cobra guys that throw belts somewhat regularly, people just always seem to shrug their shoulders and chalk it up to it being a blower car. IMO with the tolerance stack-up between blower mounting and engine assembly it’s kind of amazing that it’s not more common.

lilmarauder

Established Member
Man what a bummer.

Since you have both, have you measured the thickness of the center web area of either lower pulley? I’m pulling mine off tonight and I’d be curious to compare that as well as the 2.40” total hub height.

I wouldn’t be so sure that this is an issue with just your car. I know of plenty of cobra guys that throw belts somewhat regularly, people just always seem to shrug their shoulders and chalk it up to it being a blower car. IMO with the tolerance stack-up between blower mounting and engine assembly it’s kind of amazing that it’s not more common.
I don't have the other hub and ring anymore. I had metco get rid of it, so I can't compare. However, it doesn't really matter to me because I still have the issue of it being too thick.

If I put on a factory lower, I would have to run with a 2.75 upper pulley. I'm not about to steal from Peter to pay Paul and develop possible belt slip issues.

Does anyone even run a 2.9 Whipple with a 2.75 upper on it?

I am going to have metco machine it down, and hopefully it takes care of it. Since I have gotten Into the bigger blower high boost world, the car has gotten extremely sensitive. I guess that's the game

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I think the 2.9 whipple upper only sees around 24-25psi with a 2.8"
3.0" upper makes around 22

Not sure on belt wrap. I'm sure it's an issue on the 2.8 but the 3.0 shouldn't slip too bad at all if properly setup with belt size and idler config. Probably wouldn't hurt to have that Metco tensioner brace either

Users who are viewing this thread