why are front plates mandatory in some states?

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
stemming from a similar thread, why front plates? if you're an LEO and you're trailing a car, you see the back plates. I totally understand the need for that, i understand the "no obstructive license plate cover" law, but whats the use in front license plates? I don't want to poke holes and leave scratch marks on the front of my car :(

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
I know how you feel ... the law in Virginia is one tag on the back & one in the front.

Wasn't too pleased that the dealership drilled the front air dam ( or skirt) on my new Lightning to mount a plate.

Maybe it keeps the inmates busy making the extra plate, I dunno ... :p ... but I won't argue with the law ... would rather just drive and be done with it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Because as a car is coming toward the officer from the opposite direction he needs to try to ID the car so when he turns around he can reacquire the correct vehicle.

Or if you are from NY or NJ, it is used to ID the car that is running you over:D

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Because as a car is coming toward the officer from the opposite direction he needs to try to ID the car so when he turns around he can reacquire the correct vehicle.
Exactly, alot of times one don't have the time or luxury of getting behind the vehicle.

Here in Hawaii, ALOT of Cobra owners buy or make brackets for the front plate so we don't have to destroy our front bumper.

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Or if you are from NY or NJ, it is used to ID the car that is running you over:D

....:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: ....

Jersey ... 'probly the only state in the Union where it's legal to pass at highway speed in the breakdown lane ... I've seen it done.

...and where you can't turn left at the intersection ... you have to drive through it and take the exit ramp to the right, then merge with traffic. Confused the hell out of me the first time I did that number in Eatontown, just outside of Fort Monmouth ...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Ah good old Fort Monmouth. I lived only about 15 minutes from there. I know the front entrance to the Fort can be a bear!!

And yes you must go right to turn left:shrug:

NBMss346

Established Member
'probly the only state in the Union where it's legal to pass at highway speed in the breakdown lane
No Sir. Texas as well. :D I love the roads on the Gulf Coast of Texas (Around Lake Jackson/Danbury) Anyway, there it's like the breakdown lane is just another lane. Everyone uses it, old people, LEO, me, etc...

nugen

Established Member
Doesn't the front plate also help the cops lock onto your "going way to fast and probably deserve a ticket ass" with a radar or laser?

Users who are viewing this thread