why are the KB/whipple cars blowing up

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
OK, so lately i've heard of so many KB/Whipple cars blowing up that I'm not sure our engines can safely make the much power on a daily driver. It seems that after a decent amount of time, they are all just melting the pistons.

What is it about these cars thats making them blow? I know our pistons suck. But is it the power, boost, tunes, bad gas, or too much heat that is causing the melted pistons. Maybe its all of the above.

I wonder if some serious cooling mods, such as a fluidyne radiator and the apten cooling mod, and probably a few more would have saved all these cars. The more I hear about it, the more I think anything greater than a pullied cobra will need cooling mods, and maybe even some new pistons.

What do you guys think?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
DUUUUUUUUUHHHHH.... I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the fact people are pushing 600+rwhp with a motor designed for 375rwhp.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
couple of primary causes, one a bad tune plain and simple, one that lets the engine go way too lean. lean condition = boom.

other causes, some type of fuel system failure, fuel pump, clogged injector etc.

can also be insufficient fuel system, such as fuel pumps that cant supply enough fuel over 5500 rpm, so you rev to 6500 a couple times and boom. (extreme lean condition).

These blocks/pistons etc can handle the power, but what they cant handle is an inferior fuel system designed for up to 350~500rwhp. (even 500 is starting to push it)

so when you go 550-650 your asking for major problems. besides bigger high pressure fuel pumps you might need to upgrade the fuel rails and injectors. may even want to move to a fuel return system.

keeping the fuel system practically stock and pushing 600hp is pretty dumb. expect your engine to grenade any day.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I was thinking tunes originally, but the people who have had it happen to them that I know of were custom tuned, so I don't know why the tune would be fine on the dyno, but then 3 months later it would be too lean. Shouldn't it still be exactly the same?

I guess I could buy the fuel system story. Davidmax has been saying for a while that these cars need his returnless fuel system.

I guess these motors just aren't nearly as stout as I once thought they were.

Griffin

Established Member
Scott,

Make sure you check your plugs each time you spray it. I let it go one time and it was the one time I fryed a plug which could of costed me an engine. I added the KB right after and didn't realize I was on a bad plug until after I made a couple of 40-140 blasts:bash:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Geez, no shit? I don't need to be replacing an engine, that's for sure. BTW, you gonna bring that Sonic Blue pig up to MSC and get a little of my black car? Hope to be spraying by then! Be nice to see a few Florida boys up there.

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
My opinion is that some people are running too much boost with pump gas and a tune that they think is safe, but there is a point when the motor gives for the lack of high octane fuel. My car runs 101 octane fuel at all times just to keep it safe but I can always run lower boost and pump gas.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The problem is when hitting 550rwhp you are pushing the envelope on the stock pistons. The stock fuel system and MAF are also at the ragged edge. A pegging maf can be worked around but since you relying on table data after it pegs you are susceptible to atmospheric changes and such. The tune becomes crucial and any errors or failuers (frps, injector clogging etc) no matter how small have a much larger impact. The farther beyond stock power level the narrower the margin for error.

Juiced-03

Established Member
How much are we talking to upgrade to a fuel system that can handle 600rwhp? Would it be a tuning nightmare?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
How much are we talking to upgrade to a fuel system that can handle 600rwhp? Would it be a tuning nightmare?
The stock pumps with #55 injectors and a KB BAP will support 600rwhp. technically speaking you can support 600 with stock injectors, as I mentioned above though you have a very narrow margin of error in your tune and the slightest issue can cause damage.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra
What is it about these cars thats making them blow?
Let's see...almost twice the factory horsepower at 600+rwhp, maxed fuel delivery system and daily beating...errr...I mean driving on pump gas. Good tune or not, I believe the pistons will melt sooner or later.

Griffin

Established Member
Geez, no shit? I don't need to be replacing an engine, that's for sure. BTW, you gonna bring that Sonic Blue pig up to MSC and get a little of my black car? Hope to be spraying by then! Be nice to see a few Florida boys up there.

LOL.... You sure you want some of this piggy?:D Don't forget the bottle hasn't left the car. It will take literally 5 seconds to hook her back up for people with cars just like yours:thumbsup:

jasil

Established Member
I agree it's All in the tune. If you use 3 sigma at the least, a A/F of anything over 11.5 on the top when pushing 600rwhp is asking for trouble.

When people post about broken pistons, but add that 1,2,3 sparkplug resistors/tips are burnt off, detonation has occurred plain and simple.

Throw a little C16 in there just to be safe and you'll be o.k.

When you have people pushing 750++ to the wheels and driving the crap out of them at the track and the pistons are holding...it's not the power that is causing them to fail it's detonation.

If it was weakness they would break regardless of the octane used just like pre 03' cobra pistons do. Like others have said it's all in the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread