Why do Cobra owners overlook everything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by bluevilevo8
He's probably used to cars like hondas, bmw's, and so on. No offense guys, but the 03 is built like crap. I almost bought the 03 after frequenting this board, thinking ford has changed their ways. After driving quite a few (at least 6), I felt they were built even worse than my 02 ss, which was also built like crap (the 03 was about on par with my 97 cobra, which had too many problems to list). I love muscle, but even I was caught off guard by all the problems and inconsistencies evident in these brand new 03's.

Oh, and to the people saying these are problems that plague every car built on an assembly line, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Go down to your local acura dealership, test drive a new tl. That is how a 30+ thousand dollar car should be built.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I no longer have my evo, and am trying to get back in an f-body, so my opinion is not biased.
:loser: Go to your local Chevy dealer and buy a 04 ss or 04 ws6

BlueSVTSnake

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do Cobra owners overlook everything ?

Originally posted by SVTCobra2001
Don't have a considerable amount of noised caused by that. The injectors are the noisest thing under the hood at idle. Excluding Exhaust.
same here.....

Mint Julep

Established Member
The Cobra is really designed for the type of person who fully knows in advance that this car can be improved with "tinkering". I fixed all of my own body panel alignment issues (in fact used this to negotiate pricing due to poor fit/finish quality), and have handled most of the TSB issues myself. I have a straight car with none of the tick, vibe, stall. Rattles are minimal. I use the car as my daily driver.

These cars are a blast - theraputic to drive and fun to work on. Also, the Mustang enjoys the largest performance aftermarket of any vehicle ever made.

If you were expecting some sumptuous luxo-cruiser, you made a mistake buying this car. Complain all you want about the Cobra. That's your right. Please be aware that by you doing so you're broadcasting your automotive ignorance to a bunch of folks who won't cut you any slack. Do you research.

You either love this car for what it is, personalize it to make it more to your functional or cosmetic liking, or get rid of it.

Could have been worse - you could have discovered this with another vehicle 2x or 3x the price.

Mint

03CobraBro

Established Member

Oh, and to the people saying these are problems that plague every car built on an assembly line, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Hundreds of thousands of automobiles being built per year on an assembly line, if you think every single car pulling out of that factory is going to be flawless, then I'd have to say your a very ignorant individual, that includes the glorified Hondas with a different name as well.

I dont know why you'ed want to defend the guy. 90% of the things he mentioned he had to have been well aware of before he bought the car, unless he's deaf and blind. So if he doesnt like it, tough shit, he should have thought about that when he test drove the car. There's no excuse for a person who buys a car that they know they dont like from the get go, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by rocketman
I have owned my Cobra for a year and a half. I was a sap and paid over MSRP Oct 2002. I basically made a $36,000 mistake. I have 2,000 miles. My question is why with all of the problems with this car why do owners overlook all of the problems. For 35k we should be getting a top of the line car. I have been reading this site for over a year and a half. And everyone discounts the problems with the car saying you can't get a car with 390hp for 35k. There are many alternatives to getting a Cobra like the Subrary WRX, Chrysler 300c Hemi, GTO, a slightly used Corvette, etc. I have never seen a car, where the panels don't line up and actually stick out. I can go to a Hyundai dealer and find 10k cars with panels that fit perfectly. And Ford doesn't do anything about because everyone here accepts the problems as being normal. Here is a small list of the issues. I just don't understand.

Cheap looking long antenna mast.
Engine ticking
Engine clanking (like a diesel engine)
Exterior panels don't line up
Cheap hood prop
On of the worst shifters ever created.
Transimision clunking.
Cheap headlight bulbs
Cheap floormats (none in back)
Cheap leather seats
Cheap plastic interior
Body roll
Steering has no feedback
Very stiff clutch.
Rear end clunks when making a turns.
Interior heats up like an oven when driving it
Paint overspray
Deceptive advertising (if you don't read the fine print, you think you have Brembo calipers...not)
Wheel hop
Cheap carpeting
mediocre tires
Rubber bushings instead of polyurethane
Iron block instead of aluminum
Ford never recalls this car for anything
Very unaggresive exhaust system.
Less than average safety features.
Imposible to find a good seat position relative to the steering wheel.
Only one power seat
Traction control that does nothing and is dangerous, and you can't permanetly disable it!
SVT premium service is BS.
Cheap front license plate bracket

Getting tired of typing. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not going to bother reading this whole thread, but all I am saying is that you bought a Mustang not a Ferrari. If you want fit and finish get an M3. The Mustang is built for one reason and one reason only.

stang03svtcobra

Originally posted by MP3_Stang
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43018

:burnout:

Quote and then unQuote...by "ntechnic"

Mega rant on What The Hell Did You Expect When You Bought Your Terminator?!?!
First, the following rant is NOT directed at anyone specifically. It's something that has been on my chest for a while and I have to get it off. OK, on with the rant.

Ya know, there is no such thing as "another" $36K 450 hp pony car. I say 450 hp because face it, that's what the car was designed to produce. They had to go out of their way to muzzle it down to 400 for EPA and PR sake.

You can't compare the 2003 Cobra to another street car. It's not a street car, it’s a factory street/track car. I think Ford's mistake is in NOT covering the promo materials and web site with banners like "Not a full-time passanger car" and "Warning, race derived cars require higher levels of attention and maintenance than street cars." I think they should have a special, SVT only, limited 12,000 mile warranty on these things. You ain't buying a Honda Civic! You want warranty, hey, Hyundai has a ten year warranty, there ya go!

I blew Ford off after the first thing that was problematic on the car. Clogged cats, stalling. Well, f*ck it, I bought the Navigator to sit in traffic with, not this car. To hell with the warranty, I planned mods for immediately after purchase. Nothing can go wrong that can't be fixed. With the stout bottom end, at least I won't trash three blocks with rods coming out of them the way a guy up here has with his blown '01. So I put the Maggie exhaust on and trashed the stock cats. With a CAI, car runs great. And most of the time it idles nicely. And we are talking about a car that now lays down OVER 420 rwhp. That's in the 475 crank hp range. It's amazing that the car idles, much less idles so well most of the time. And has a CD stereo and A/C and a small rear seat and trunk to boot!

I raced Porsches back in the 70's, when they were frickin' lethal to drive. I still can't believe they sold these things to no-driving-skills ordinary people. I remember one of my attorneys bitching about the A/C in his turbo 311. I told him, hell, it's amazing it has any A/C, it's a race car in street clothes. I've driven Lambos and Ferrari's, and you know what? Their quality sucks for $200,000. A friend of mine hasn't been able to get his windows to work right for two years on his Lambo. And he doesn't worry too much about it because his constantly quitting headlights bother him more! Ferrari's? Fuggitaboutit. Awesome cars to drive, but there's a reason they are considered trashed and worn out used cars by the time they have 10,000 miles on the clock.

So, we got supercar-like power, quad cam, blown engine proven capable of living when modded to over 650 hp, IRS, and a 6-speed. And they THROW IN a body to keep the rain off ya, and some electronic stuff that allows for an amazing amount of modification with readily available and affordable parts. Just TRY to find another car like it in the World! Corvette? Ha! First, just give someone your wallet because you won't believe what simple stuff like a cat-back costs. Second, have a LOT of fun working on it and modding it. It's a lot of money to buy in the first place too, and you don't even get a back seat for you plop your laptop and briefcase on!

It's a matter of expectation. If you expected to buy a street car with a little extra "kick" on freeway onramps, and "no maintenance" everything, you bought the wrong car. If you expected a BMW M-car for $36K, well, hell, tell me where you find one and I'll buy two!

If you didn't expect to be buying the most powerful factory American hot rodded pony car ever built, being built on an ancient chassis design, on an old assembly line with a lot of old tooling, and expecting to put in your own mechanical skills or pay for someone else's, well then, you didn't do your research very well.

If you come from a history of owning hassle-free sewing machine cars, then you either need to learn about real cars, or go back to them. If you come from a history of modding American or import cars, and you understand that everything, including horsepower, comes with a price and a compromise, and you appreciate the amazing package that Ford delivers for your lousy $36K, then you understand that owner participation is required, and you're probably damn happy with your car. Like most of us.

can i gat a AMEN!

03DOHC

Established Member
Go down to your local acura dealership, test drive a new tl. That is how a 30+ thousand dollar car should be built.
Too bad it doesn't have 425BHP huh?

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread