Why do Gen 2's lose a little power with cat-back install?

TIAMAT

Established Member
I just installed a bassani muffler system on my 01'L. Why is it that we lose a small amount of horsepower with installing a cat-back. My truck is louder than hell so i know the flow is there. Does the Borla system lose horsepower because it is a single muffler? Is the stock muffler just that good? It's strange because on most vehicles a cat-back would add from 5-20 horses. Jdm makes the silver bullet system but does it lose power also as the only mod? Is the silver b as loud as a bassani cat- back because there is no way flow is a problem with either?:shrug:

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Tiamat:

I think it has to do with losing some 'backpressure' but I d/k how it's explained.

Btw, I didn't seem to lose anything when I put JDM's Magnaflow single muffler(14568) c/b on. Got my best et with it on:D .

Dan

TIAMAT

Established Member
Did you get the cat-back from JDM or did you buy the muffler and have it installed at a shop? Is it louder than the borla system? The bassani sounds great but if i get sick of of the loundness i need some options.

MoonshineBWI

The Tunaking!
Established Member
How do you know\Why do you think you lost power? If it's because your boost went down you did "not" lose power but in fact should have gained. When you release restriction (increase flow) in the exhaust there will be a drop in boost as shown on the gauge - this is not neccessarily a bad thing!!! Less boost means more flow which can = more HP!! I had a loss in "boost" when I put the Cat back on but until I see results from a dyno I'm keeping it on......

TIAMAT

Established Member
I'm not saying i lost horsepower. I remember i had seen numerous threads on this site about the stock system being really good. Adding a cat-back on a totally stock L would only make it louder and sometimes lose a tiny bit of power. A spintech system that was tested lost 10 horsepower but gained 15 lbs tq. The spintech system scavenges so well that between 4500-5500 there was a lean condition. With minor fuel tuning the problem should be corrected. Just wondering why the truck might lose a little?

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Im guessing the SOTP feel is different, back pressure could be part of the problem :shrug: When I put Warlocks on my 99 low end power felt like it dropped but above 3800 and up got a wake up call can u say holy screamer :-D

Users who are viewing this thread