why do imports measure boost with "BAR" and we measure boost with "PSI?"?

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
The answer lies in the immortal words of Vincent Vega:

Vincent Vega: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent Vega: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the f**k a Quarter Pounder is.

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
I think you mean import people. They think it sounds more knowledgeable. Quite frankly, it's a pain in the a$$.

Last edited:

SDSupraTT

Established Member
umm...actually it's cause all of our parts come from Japan...and guess what they use. It took me awile to get use to myself. But Once you figure out the conversion you get use to it.

and FYI...Did you know that GM makes their mafs as a 3bar and 5 bar? Gotta love those turbo buicks.

Last edited:

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Originally posted by SDSupraTT
umm...actually it's cause all of our parts come from Japan...

I wasn't serious. I just slapped a K&N on my beast. I hope to find you again, in high boost of course.

Dan

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by SDSupraTT
umm...actually it's cause all of our parts come from Japan...and guess what they use. It took me awile to get use to myself. But Once you figure out the conversion you get use to it.

and FYI...Did you know that GM makes their mafs as a 3bar and 5 bar? Gotta love those turbo buicks.

Maybe yours, not mine though. ;-)

I think they measure in BAR's so you don't know they are running 29.4 PSI . It's easier to keep your highly elevated boost levels hidden from people this way.

FWIW 1 bar of atmosphere is = to 14.7 PSI.
In theory to double your cars HP, provided the intake and exhaust flow enough, you need to add 14.7 PSI

Take this one step further. If your stock $30,000 + Evo VIII makes 276 bhp on 19PSI, you'd have to run 33.7+ PSI to make 552 bhp:lol:

1997 Cobra FRPP shorties,Bassani X with cats, Vortech @ 8 PSI everything else was stock! 423 RWHP! Figuring 15% driveline loss that is 500+ bhp All this and still well under $30,000

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Pounds and inches are English measurement units. All other cars are produced by countries using the metric system. Bar is the metric unit of pressure. If they used the equivalent of pounds per square inch it would be kilograms per square centimeter or something.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
it all depends on the efficiency of the power adder, too...

youll probably get more power from a turbo running 14.7PSI versus a supercharger running 14.7 PSI

-Homer

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE

In theory to double your cars HP, provided the intake and exhaust flow enough, you need to add 14.7 PSI

Take this one step further. If your stock $30,000 + Evo VIII makes 276 bhp on 19PSI, you'd have to run 33.7+ PSI to make 552 bhp

Sort of, but, there isn't a linear gain. You would be way out of the stock turbo's efficiency range. Getting a larger turbo on that car would be the only option for serious power gains. That would enable you to run less boost, and get the same or more power.

Dan

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Never said the stock turbo, just that in theory to double the power produced requires the addition of 14.7 PSI. Also a larger turbo will not necessarily mean larger power. Larger turbos need higher PSi to be efficient. It all comes down to volumetric efficiency and impeller design. Most of the time the larger turbos lend the impeller design to higher RPM's

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
If your //STOCK// $30,000 + Evo VIII makes 276 bhp on 19PSI, you'd have to run 33.7+ PSI to make 552 bhp

I got stock turbo from what you said. The stock turbo, being a 16g, on a 2.0l would be spinning like 200k rpms to do 34psi. Which wouldn't be a good idea.

If we are talking about a lancer w/ another turbo, there is no point; given the infinite possibilities.

Dan

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member

Take this one step further. If your stock $30,000 + Evo VIII makes 276 bhp on 19PSI, you'd have to run 33.7+ PSI to make 552 bhp:lol:

Don't read too deeply. This was just a theoretical situation. Although I must admit I find it amusing that 19 PSI is needed to make 276 bhp.

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Don't read too deeply. This was just a theoretical situation. Although I must admit I find it amusing that 19 PSI is needed to make 276 bhp.

I can assure you, from an engineer's experience (me). Experience works, theory rarley does.

SVT4ME

Established Member
A bar comes from atmospheric pressure 14.68 something something. So 1 bar is ruffly 14.7 psi

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
nice tech info on this post. Too bad I am all about building the motor instead of forced induction. I am starting to lean towards a S/C possibly. HMMMMMMMMMM

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by captain4g63
I can assure you, from an engineer's experience (me). Experience works, theory rarley does.

Glad to hear that.
I agree that in theory all circumstances are almost always perfect. Which, as we all know, circumstances in real life are almost never perfect. However, theories are how we prototype things to an extent. Ideas arise about performance, which is the theory that "this part" will do this for me. So, we install said part or modify same and test our theories about it's benefit to our vehicle. I know that a theory is only as good as it's originator. That being said, this isn't my theory. It has been used by NMRA contenders and tuners for years. I was just passing it along.

So, from a moderators experience. Don't take this thread or post so literal. It is not something said to irritate or offend you. :beer:

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member

So, from a moderators experience. Don't take this thread or post so literal. It is not something said to irritate or offend you. :beer:

None taken, just good conversation. :beer:

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread