Why do some police officers get offended by the term "cop"?

Calebp

Established Member
Don't they know that it just stands for Constable on Patrol?

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Constable+On+Patrol

Anyway, to make a long story short, a few years ago, this asshole I knew stole about 250 dollars worth of my gear, and basically disappeared, couldn't find him anywhere. I went to my next door neighbor, who I was pretty sure was a cop. (Had only been there a few weeks at the time.)

I walked up to him and I said "Excuse me sir, you're a cop aren't you?"
He gets this horrified look on his face and sneers "LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER THANK YOU." So I apologized and told him what happened, and asked whether or not I should take it to the law, and what would be the proper steps to follow.

He says "Well you COULD be nice and give it to him as a present. Have a nice day." Got in his car a left.

I was just thinking about this today, do you guys actually get pissed off when people refer to you as cops? I would think in this day and age when punk kids call you pigs and all that other shit, it wouldn't be too rude to say cop.... I dunno. What's with that?

Edit: I asked a buddy of mine the same question and he said he'd heard the same thing, that some police officers are highly offended by this, didn't know why though.

Last edited:

93blkbeauty

One word, bad ass
Established Member
Good question. I kinda wonder the same thing. I noticed that everyone says LEO here so I do to. Is there a reason for it?

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
93blkbeauty said:
Good question. I kinda wonder the same thing. I noticed that everyone says LEO here so I do to. Is there a reason for it?

LEO= Law Enforcement Officer and I know a few police officers and they have never given me grief about refering to them as "cops".

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Former "COP" here. The term never bothered me. I actually used it in reference to myself fairly often. Must not be too bad, as they named a show after it.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
I noticed this too oddly. Caught me by surprise too. Once went in to a police station to try to have a license plate light fix-it ticket signed off and I ask the clerk if a cop could come out and take a look. She gave me this dirty look and said slowly in a patronizing way, "Police officer". :shrug: LOL since when did calling cops a cop become offensive? Isn't there a show called ... COPS? :smmon:

jshen

Established Member
History

It was used as a derrogatory name years back...just like copper or "pig"..some tried to justify pig...by saying it stood for "police- integrity & guts". People also brought up the cop "constable on patrol" as well. One local PD here has that on their shoulder patch. Frankly, I don't allow people in court hearings to use the word cop without my correcting them and if it continues I get pretty ugly with them. I will bring it to the court & jury's attention about the lack of respect being shown to LEOs.

Last edited:

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
I never really care what people call me but I refer to my occupation as Police Officer. That is what it says on my Badge. Most of the time when people ask me what I do, I tell them make number 2 pecils or some other exciting job. Seems when people know what I do then they always have a question about what some other officer did or how to get out of a ticket or what to do about some neighbors kid etc.... So I make number 2 pencils.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I dont find the term cop offensive, but then again I am not a cop. The reason I use the term L.E.O. to describe the L.E. posters here is because we have a wide range of officers/deputies/agents, etc. Some of use are Police Officers, some are Deputies, some are Special Agents, some are Troopers, etc.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Calebp said:
I thought you were a cop? What are you?

Federal Agent! I was a Sheriff's Deputy a few years back. But I was never a Police Officer, by title. Most deputies I know preferred to be called deputy. Most P.O.s I know prefer to be called Officer. I will answer to most things as long as they arent too offensive. :lol:

MODDED97GT

Established Member
I am a Corrections Sergeant and most of us hate the term GUARD. It seems
to be a put down. Most prefer Corrections Officer or Deputy. The term cop is
ok with me but GUARD or Jailer bothers me. I am just like someone that works on the road except I prefer to work in the Jail. Everyone has there issues so just realize it when you use a word that bothers someone. LEO is most likely the safest. Just my 2 cents

Calebp

Established Member
Hey that's pretty cool! What branch?

FordSVTFan said:
Federal Agent! I was a Sheriff's Deputy a few years back. But I was never a Police Officer, by title. Most deputies I know preferred to be called deputy. Most P.O.s I know prefer to be called Officer. I will answer to most things as long as they arent too offensive. :lol:

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Anything can be a slur if you spit it with sufficient spite. That said, "cop" AFAIK isn't at all offensive, but in certain situations (like, I've been pulled over :)) in the interest of sounding courteous and professional myself I'd say "officer."

LEO: "Is there a reason you're flashing your lights tonight?"
Me: "Uh, I thought there was an oncoming car with its brights on, but I was, uh, mistaken, yeah..."
LEO: "Nobody had their brights on. See any other cops around tonight?"
Me: "There was an officer in the adult bookstore parking lot, and..." Oh, and that wasn't you, was it? Yeah, time to throw in the towel. :)

--T.J.

epracmetcon

Established Member
MODDED97GT said:
I am a Corrections Sergeant and most of us hate the term GUARD. It seems
to be a put down. Most prefer Corrections Officer or Deputy. The term cop is
ok with me but GUARD or Jailer bothers me. I am just like someone that works on the road except I prefer to work in the Jail. Everyone has there issues so just realize it when you use a word that bothers someone. LEO is most likely the safest. Just my 2 cents

Kind of offtopic, but I have been seriously thinking about submitting a resume to become a corrections officer. How do you like it? Why do you prefer it over being on the road? Anything you dont like about it?

Thanks
Nick

MODDED97GT

Established Member
epracmetcon said:
Kind of offtopic, but I have been seriously thinking about submitting a resume to become a corrections officer. How do you like it? Why do you prefer it over being on the road? Anything you dont like about it?

Thanks
Nick

I like the fact that I allready know that the people I am dealing with are criminals and I do not have to guess like on the road. There is also more
opportunity for advancement and rank in corrections. I would not work in a
prison because I have worked in one for 3 years and hated every second of it.
I work for a Sarasota County Sheriff's office now. The prison setting puts
you at a higher risk factor. I also like the fact that most "uses of force" that
I am involved with are hand to hand instead of Guns, ect....... In a nut shell
I love my job and plan on being here forever. Send me a P.M. I can explain more if you like.

P.S. Sorry for highjacking the thread>>>>>>>>>>>>> :shrug:

Lawman85

Banned
I don't care either way. It just shows what level of respect the person has that I'm dealing with. It usually helps me make up my mind between "warning" and "not a warning".

Users who are viewing this thread