Why does the concept only have 255's on it?

jguerrero

Established Member
Concept shows the car only coming with 19x9.5 wheels, and 255 tires? What.......

I hope they put some bigger meats on that car, I cant imagine driving a car with that much power on that size tire. Does the 05' bodystyle not allow for wide tires? I mean if the 03/04 Cobra came with 275's I would expect at least the same on this bad boy.

Last edited:

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
I read somewhere that the new body style is somewhat limited when it comes to the width of the tires you can fit out back. I don't think you'll fit any 315 DR's in there. Well, I guess you could mini-tub it...

jguerrero

Established Member
This appears to be a big issue then, whats the use of making all that power and not being able to put it to the ground?

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
jguerrero said:
This appears to be a big issue then, whats the use of making all that power and not being able to put it to the ground?

Hell we have 275/40's on our Cobra's now and have problems putting that to the ground. Just sticking big ol' tires & wheels on a car does not give it instant grip...

Has anyone driven the new GT500 yet? Nope, lets leave the judgement of what it can put the ground till it's actually drivable for most of us.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
Hell we have 275/40's on our Cobra's now and have problems putting that to the ground. Just sticking big ol' tires & wheels on a car does not give it instant grip...

I'll go ahead an tell you that unless it sprays VHT in front of the tire automatically, it won't get a grip.

I really don't know what they were thinking with the new car, it looks like it's running around on rubber bands.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
The concept has 19s on it ... Prodution will see 18's ... I would bet 275/35/18, or maybe even 40s ...

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
doesn't that sound a little off... 255's on a 9.5" rim?? :??: My L has 295's. 255's sound kinda skinny for a rim that wide.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Late model Corvettes have narrower tires and, ahem, DO handle better than our last generation uber-Fairmonts with wider tires.

Sticking a wider tire on a car does not necessarily mean it will handle better. Although I'm not happy to see the section width go down I'm sure the superior suspension geometry will make better use of the tire it does have.

R1Lello

Established Member
:poke:

Hey you guys are finally noticing. Search my posts as I mentioned it many times. Reason 255's?? because no room as the 03/04. My buddy had the 05 on the hoist, Joe Dasilva of Dasilva performance has several modded ones at the local custom show........and all had 275's and thát's it........no room. I'd bet even those rubbed during daily drive. Ford screwup I'd say. I know not in the same league but vipers with 335's and the new z06 with 325's looks sweet

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:poke:

Hey you guys are finally noticing. Search my posts as I mentioned it many times. Reason 255's?? because no room as the 03/04. My buddy had the 05 on the hoist, Joe Dasilva of Dasilva performance has several modded ones at the local custom show........and all had 275's and thát's it........no room. I'd bet even those rubbed during daily drive. Ford screwup I'd say. I know not in the same league but vipers with 335's and the new z06 with 325's looks sweet

I wonder how 295's with spacers would look.

R1Lello

Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
I wonder how 295's with spacers would look.

Silly for sure. Like i said, 275's are tight on the inside, and outside to the fender. Trust me, I've tried to tuck a finger in on both sides. No way. You want big meats that tuck in, looks good that way, not sticking out like the 70's.

04Torchvert

Established Member
Wow that is going to be a problem if they don't change that. Alot are going to put down 600 when pulley and tune and anything under a 300 size tire is not going to be fun but frustrating when they step on the gas.

Fourcam330

Established Member
While I'd like to see some wider rubber out back as well, you have to factor the other upgrades into the equation as well. The new 3 link puts power down much better than any previous generation mustang/cobra, IRS or 4 link solid axle--05 GTs have been known to cut low 1.8 60's on the stock rubber. Also the contact patch on a 255/19 tire is almost identical to a 275/17 piece of meat. Finally, for the $, who cares. Put whatever wheels you want on it after driving it off the lot.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Yeah put what ever tire on it that will fit. But from what I just read you can not fit anything bigger. I have traction problems with a 275 and juve over 400 hp. Like I said last night when I first saw the car 255's WILL be to small.

Users who are viewing this thread