why does the rear seal on the tranny keep leakin?

bayarea

Established Member
my bro recently did a rear suspension swap with his 03 gt with my friend who has an 04 cobra.

after a while of driving his car my brother noticed his tranny leaking and replaced the seal. but now the new seal is starting to leak and I dont know why.

the only thing i can think of is the drive shaft may be out of balance.

by brother is using the cobra driveshaft with his gt yoke, maybe that might have thrown it off balance. :shrug:

anybody have a clue

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
It would cause noticable vibration if it was out of balance. IRS pinion flange is 21mm farther forward than GT Pinion flange with suspension in normal position. Potentially the flange is in too far.

bayarea

Established Member
postban said:
It would cause noticable vibration if it was out of balance. IRS pinion flange is 21mm farther forward than GT Pinion flange with suspension in normal position. Potentially the flange is in too far.
so how could this be fixed?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
bayarea said:
so how could this be fixed?

custom driveshaft..............

get a pic of the front yoke installed and let us see. Also check tailhousing for cracks, if it got a stock IRS in it wheelhop could have broken it.

mrbill00

Established Member
check the trans yoke for a "freeze plug" style plug in the U-joint end(looking fwd)
i had a similar problem with an aftermarket shaft that this "plug" was missing..
you could see the splines, the machine shop found a "plug" approx 1 inch that we
fit in the end and sealed

Users who are viewing this thread