Why don't people do gears in Cobras?

Jpjr

Established Member
00GT said:
:shrug: Don't the Machs and new GTs both have 3.55 gears? The new GTs have a taller tire than the Machs effectively cutting their gear ratio to about 3.31. The new GTs and the Machs both dyno very similarly. The GT weighs about 150 more lbs. though and has taller effective gearing.

your right.. i meant to say they have taller gears than the old GT's. i don't know what got me thinking of the mach except that it has relatively equal horsepower.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

00GT said:
It is a known fact that 15" slicks are better than 17" slicks.

I'm sure you can quantify that.

15 inch wheels will not fit on an IRS. I had a pair of stock 03 Cobra wheels lying around and I didn't want to spend more money for wheels for something I run a few times a month. The 17's will hold it's own with any other size tire on an IRS Cobra. I bet I can pull a 1.4x sixty footer this summer on the 17's. The topic is about gears, not tires.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
15/16" slicks have more sidewall than 17's

more sidewall means more area to wrinkle which lets the tire "wrap up" before it hooks and it will hook harder than a 17

not to say you won't have great success on your 17's :beer:

Last edited:

00GT

Banned
JB said:
15/16" slicks have more sidewall than 17's

more sidewall means more area to wrinkle which lets the tire "wrap up" before it hooks and it will hook harder than a 17

not to say you won't have great success on your 17's :beer:

Exactly my point.

00GT

Banned
Silver03Snake said:
I'm sure you can quantify that.

15 inch wheels will not fit on an IRS. I had a pair of stock 03 Cobra wheels lying around and I didn't want to spend more money for wheels for something I run a few times a month. The 17's will hold it's own with any other size tire on an IRS Cobra. I bet I can pull a 1.4x sixty footer this summer on the 17's. The topic is about gears, not tires.

If you can pull a 1.4x 60' on 17" tires, more power to you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread