Why hasn't the price of motor oil gone up?

SnakeinMD

New Cobra hopefully soon!
Established Member
Mobile 1 has went up. It used to be $4.88 a quart. When I bought it two days ago it was 5.24 a quart. But that is a synthetic. I don't know about any other oil. Anyone else noticed an increase?

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
SnakeinMD said:
Mobile 1 has went up. It used to be $4.88 a quart. When I bought it two days ago it was 5.24 a quart. But that is a synthetic. I don't know about any other oil. Anyone else noticed an increase?
I buy mobil1 at walmart and it hasnt gone up yet. I hope it doesnt go up, that stuff's kinda pricey as it is.

snake bite 03

i havent noticed it go up...and another thing i dont get it about a month ago i went to this gas station that sell's CAM2 race fuel which is 100 octan and it was $6.00 a gallon a few days ago i go back there thinking it was going to be $8.00 or so a gallon an the price didnt go up thats wierd??? aint it.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Maybe it has, but in any case, there are a great deal of types of oil. I'm pretty sure benchmark prices are usually referred to off of a basket of prices for different kinds, but individual prices may vary greatly. Some of the shit is thick black sludge, some of it is like mrs. butterworths comparatively, depending on region, age, etc...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
WAY LESS DEMAND!!!!

Think about it .... oil you use about 1 1/2 gallons(probably less) every 3k at the most...

Now gas on the other hand.... how many gallons of that do you use in 3k miles???
A little more???

It'll go up.... but not as fast... less demand less price volatility.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
mjzilinski said:
I buy mobil1 at walmart and it hasnt gone up yet. I hope it doesnt go up, that stuff's kinda pricey as it is.
Go on an oil shopping spree. It doesn't go bad for years and years. :beer:

orange2004cobra

Established Member
yeh,but the thing about it is, supply and demand bases the price on the oil in a barrel, the gas and motor oil both come from the same barrel, therefore, the increases should be relative on the per barrel price, not how much motor oil is bought. I know all 3 of my autozones here locally pretty much sellout of their stock of "non syn"oil on a weekly basis. So I can only assume that that is the case pretty much nationwide. That would def. allow for enough rotation of stock to bring the price up, if it really needed to be... mabye they just make enough profit off of the motor oil {because it is a small ammount pre package, 1qt} that it dosent matter as much? i dont know...
But like it says above, 110 octane race fuel has been under 6.00 here {5.99} for about the last 5 years and has yet to go up, and the guy who ownes the BP station that carries it gets it every month...
I guess its timeto buy a TDI Volkswagen, and make my own biodeisel for 78 cents a gallonin my backyard...
L.

The Rooster

Banned
Canoodler said:
Go on an oil shopping spree. It doesn't go bad for years and years. :beer:

And you can use it for many great things...

Weed killer...

Insectacide...

It makes pretty rainbows in the street gutters...

And many more...

Users who are viewing this thread