Why is my stance so high????

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Why is my stance so high???? NOW WITH PICS

I am just about finished with my rear suspension. Heres a list of what I got.

96 Cobra Coupe
Stock Rear Axle +410
Stock Upper Control Arms
MM Non Adjustable Lower Control Arms
H&R Race Springs
Bilstein HD Shocks
Stock Quadshock
MM Panhard Bar
Stock Swaybar
MM Poly Spring Iso's

After reassembling the rear I put the axle on jack stands to let it hold the weight and it appears to be sitting way high. I put the rear tire on and I have 5.5 inchs between the top of the fender and my 245 45ZR17's. There is 4-5 inchs of travel before the bump stop, and there is no way I will be able to level the panhard bar because the chasis mount part is 2.5 inches higher off the ground then the axle mount at its lowest setting. (I current have remove the panhard bar connecting link so the system is not binding). I have placed the rear springs with the tail to the rear facing the drivers side. The tail does not even touch the iso under the cars weight.

Does anyone know where something may be wrong here? I dont think its going to settle 3 inchs. I beleive the lca's are suppose to be close to level under load. I did torque the UCA bolts already durring assembly only to find out that im not to do that until the suspension is loaded. Dont think that is holding me up that far. The only think I can think of is the fact that the front is still on jack stands. I have the stands on the frame rail just before the k member. I dont think I am taking that much weight off the rear am I?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank You for your time.

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I would loosen all the control arm bolts and then re-tighten them with the suspension loaded, then wait and see how it looks once the front is on the ground too, and go from there.

SVTContique

I would loosen all the control arm bolts and then re-tighten them with the suspension loaded, then wait and see how it looks once the front is on the ground too, and go from there.

Considering its on a swivel it wouldnt make much of a difference.
Did you install the springs in the right orientation, BOTH of the springs have to have thepig tails on the bottom, with the pig tails facing the driver side of the car (from the back it would be the left, from the front it would be the right)

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Considering its on a swivel it wouldnt make much of a difference.
Did you install the springs in the right orientation, BOTH of the springs have to have thepig tails on the bottom, with the pig tails facing the driver side of the car (from the back it would be the left, from the front it would be the right)

+1 Make sure the pigtails are right. I see you have Race Springs, I put H&R Race Springs on, and this is how they sat after about two weeks. No ISO's in front, and the top in the rear.

P1010171.jpg

P1010170.jpg

Last edited:

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
The only think I can think of is the fact that the front is still on jack stands. I have the stands on the frame rail just before the k member. I dont think I am taking that much weight off the rear am I?

Probably - I think the same thing everytime mine is in the air.

97riocobra2

Established Member
+1

I also have the race springs and the height is similar to Midnight_cobra's car.

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Yes I double checked the tails of the springs and they both point towards the drivers side.

Midnight or rhino cobra. What is the distance from the fender to the top of the tires front and back. If you could measure please, I will use that as a guide.

What are the pros and cons of removing the isos?

SVTContique

Yes I double checked the tails of the springs and they both point towards the drivers side.

Midnight or rhino cobra. What is the distance from the fender to the top of the tires front and back. If you could measure please, I will use that as a guide.

What are the pros and cons of removing the isos?

Apparently they can squeak.

I left upper and lower poly isos in the rear for my car, IMO when hard drag launches and auto-X i need that extra cushion, on the front i left the isos out because i wanted to make sure it was low in the front, i hate the stock 4x4 look.

With the Isos out its about perfect, its pretty slammed but its still driveable.

If your going to take the isos out make sure you wrap the ends of the coils in duct tape, i put on a bunch to prevent squeaks. Also, clear the spring hats of gravel and dirt to prevent noise.

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
So the front is still on jackstands? If so if you have the stands on the frame rails alot of the cars weight is in front of the stands pulling the front of the car down and causing the rear not to settle. Wait till the car is completely on the ground and see how it sits.

97cobra1

Established Member
The more pics of the h&rs i see the more i want them over the sportlines... Sorry i'm no help, just pointless rambling at 3am.

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Okay here are the pics.

FrontStands.jpg

Location of front jackstands

RearStands.jpg

Location of rear jackstands

The wood blocks in those to pictures are there for a precausion, no weight is on them, they dont even touch.

WithTire.jpg

Rear wheel clearance

Below are some assembly pics. Let me know if something is wrong.

Overview.jpg

OverviewCloseup.jpg

PassSpring.jpg

Passenger Side

DrvrSpring.jpg

Drivers Side
Notice the tail of the spring in the previous two pics doesnt even touch the iso.

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Yea when I installed my Race Springs, they tilted a little like that in the pictures, but once the car was on it's wheels, it straightened out more and looked normal. I would just make sure you get the top of the spring centered as much as you can in the 'cup' on the body.

Users who are viewing this thread