Why is my trans warm?

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Ok, i JUST installed a 11 row cooler, an AUX filter and a new stock pan (had a 4x4 pan but smacked the drain plug on a speed bump), used the cheap Dex III/ Mercron fluid...

Truck saw 200 Deg on my autometer guage on saturday (it was starting to get warm so i shut it down and let it cool... then went home and parked it)...

the trans was over filled, but i drained out some fluid.... it now read in the middle of Hot on the white stick...

I cant figure out what the issue is, and im trying to sell the truck...

I still have the OEM trans cooler hooked up in line with the new cooler.... Could that be the issue (pump is working too hard to flow the fluid)

I also have a standard motorcraft oil filter on the aux filter.

The trans has less than 6K miles on it, its a DMP unit, i just changed the pan cause mine was leaking and decided to add the cooler at the same time... now its running warm... wasnt doing it before.

im going to bypass the new cooler and filter and see if that helps.

anyone got any other ideas?

im showing the truck to several people this weekend and would like to solve this issue asap.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
make sure the lines going to your Remote filter arent crossed....

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
make sure the lines going to your Remote filter arent crossed....

Wouldnt i have low pressure if they were? I pulled the line off the return to the trans and it pumped out fluid (i dont know how much its supposed to pump or how heavy but it pumped?)

GRRRR im just totally irritated and confused...

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Is the sender in the test port (Drivers side front) of the trans? You could always hook up a good scanner and read what the factory OBDII PID is saying that the trans temp is also, they should be pretty close to each other (Factory ford trans temp location vs. Test port sender)

200 isn't that bad yet, but for having two coolers something is up. How hot was it outside when you saw that max temp? What kind of driving were you doing?

I think two coolers should work without any flow problem. Have to retrace your steps, check everything, and start some trial and error.

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Jay, if the temp reading is correct, it sounds like when you did the last install something went wrong. Something is either slowing the flow rate, partially clogged/blocked, etc.

What filter did you say you were using? It's not too restrictive is it? If you have the Super Duty coole,r there is no need to keep the stock one inline. Remove it and only keep the SD. Are all your lines straight or curved without kinks or bends correct? It has to be either the new cooler, the filter, or something to do with the install since it just started. Keep us updated after you bypass each part. FFS

OH-MAN

Established Member
Do you have a higher stall converter?
If you did before you installed the extra cooler I guess it would not matter.
Perhaps bypassing the remote filter?

Just try one thing at a time to see what is the cause.

Z7What