Why Is The Terminator So Special To You Long Term Owners?

Hunter_M_

Established Member
I'm 23 now. I can recall seeing my first New Edge when I was around 5-7 years old. I was sitting in the middle seat of my dad's '99 F150 when I saw it in the rear view mirror. It was silver with dark blue stripes. From that day forward, I wanted a new edge.

Fast forward to me getting my license ar 16 and I get a black '05 V6. Poor thing was t-boned when I turned 17. Got a grey '07 V6 after that. Yay for insurance.

Now let's fast forward to May of 2016. Best month of my life. I get my first big-boy job while still in college. Broke up with my gf of a year in January and made a point to start saving for a Terminator. I was online every single day looking for Cobras across the country. A 11k all stock black one popped up in Wyoming and sold within 2 days. My buddies told me it was for a reason and I told them to go to hell lol. Well guess what... 9885 mile black with parchment interior pops up in Virginia. I dropped everything. Took the next day off and booked a flight to VA to go get her the next day.

Guys... We went from Dallas, to ATL, to Charlotte, to Roanoke after our flight was rerouted, and then bussed to Lynchburg and then picked up and driven to Appomattox. Signed the papers at 1am. Flew home the next day and had the car arrive a week and a half later. Btw, return flight was Lynchburg, ATL, Detroit, to Dallas. Absolute hell. 3,610 miles in 32 hours. WORTH IT.

Idk why or when I got hooked on the Terminator, but I think it started with my buddy's nasty SB '03 he had in high school. Thing was nasty. Now has a 4V in it, procharged, and pushing 700hp.

My cobra was all stock when I got it. All it has now is Kooks 1 3/4" longtubes, to kooks o/r X, to borla stingers. She screams. I love it with everything I have. It's been a dream come true.

All I know is I will never let it go. It is my favorite thing I have in my life. It will go to my grave with me.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You guys who don't venture out of this section. Go look at the 9 page thread in pictures/videos about the engine. Good fun, lol.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, since I started the thread, I will go ahead and tell my story.

In July of 2015, I was going to look at a 1988 LX not too far from where I live. I was at work (3rd shift) and me and another co worker were talking about this LX. My buddy got on Craigslist and found a 2004 Refire Cobra. He called me in the shop and we both couldn't believe how cheap it was. We thought it had to be a typo or a salvage/rebuilt title. I called the guy the next day, and he said he was getting phone calls left and right since posting the add the night before. He said he had a guy coming to look at the car and thought it was sold. I told him to let me know if the guy didn't show, and he said he would. He called me, said the guy was a no show and I said I am on my way. I drove 80 miles before work that night, looked at the car and told the guy I wanted it. He said it had to be gone before the end of the month for some reason, so I got an even better price since he knew I was so interested and didn't want to loose the chance at selling the car.

Me and a friend drove up that weekend and loaded the car on my trailer. We had to let all the air out of my trailer tires to get it loaded since the car sits so low to the ground. It was a long day, but man, I couldn't stop smiling looking in my rear view pulling that thing home! We stopped and ate at an Applebee's and watched people stop and check out the car as it sat on the trailer. I was a very happy first time Cobra owner that day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I've owned mine since 2007, I am the second owner. I'll never sell it

The new cars are nice, but they just don't feel the same. Plus everyone has a GT500 these days..it's the "me too" car.

Most people think its just another mustang...and that's ok in my book

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I don't have one, but want one so bad (don't want to give up my s/c'd 2013 to do it though).

I understand where you are coming from here, but just get one. You won't regret it or miss the supercharged 13. I've got a 2012 5.0 that I daily with a 93 tune, CAI, suspension and exhaust and it's like night and day between the driving experience of the two. Race Car vs Lincoln feel

choate

Established Member
Have to share my quick story. Been into mustangs since before I had a driver license and I knew about the Terminator but not much else except they packed quite a punch but I'd only seen a handful and nothing impressive. I didn't really get the whole crazy about them honestly. Then two summers ago something happened. I met this guy who had one and I asked for a ride. First off all it was sonic blue and I'd never seen one that color or this clean. It was lowered, FR500 chrome 18'' wheels and of all things a convertible! I was a little skeptical like hmmm not sure about this stang. Then he fired it up (Bassani OR-X and magna packs) and I was like woah now that's got a good sound to it. Then he put the top down, gave it a few good revs and I was like OMG this thing sounds amazing. Once we hit the on ramp to the highway he lights it up in 2nd, the 2.76 pulley kicks in, Eaton starts screaming, exhaust is just sounding crazy to me and once we hit about 80 in 3rd he let off, I put my tongue back in my mouth, wiped the drool off my face and was instantly addicted. It was at that moment I "got it". I had to have one. I started looking online for one the moment I got home. I have goose bumps just thinking about that day as I type this Took a while but I finally got what I wanted. A sonic blue coupe. There is only one word I can use to describe it (well two I guess). Bad Ass

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Man! I want to hear more of these stories! I love this thread.

Famine

Established Member
I understand where you are coming from here, but just get one. You won't regret it or miss the supercharged 13. I've got a 2012 5.0 that I daily with a 93 tune, CAI, suspension and exhaust and it's like night and day between the driving experience of the two. Race Car vs Lincoln feel

Yeah, but with mine, I have almost everything there is for the suspension other than a watts link, and sways front and rear, the 8k dollar vmp setup, boltons, wheels/tires, aluminum d/s, etc so it handles pretty amazing. It's hard to imagine it being better than that considering the weight difference. I need someone close to me to swing by and take me for a ride. I would like to possibly just pay off my truck, then save for a termi and also a 2015 to pass on to my son since that was the year he was born. Just gotta keep at it I guess every weekend they offer me the overtime (almost every weekend).

Question: have you ever been in a vmp new 5.0?? I haven't been in anything faster, but everyone has been in different stuff that I haven't.

nxhappy

Established Member
you ****s are lucky LOL ....after wanting one for 14 years and busting my ass, I finally bought one. In 2003 I was still in high school. I bought a regular GT. Then I dumped a shit load of money into it, including a Vortech SC. Should have just saved for the damn Cobra somehow .... this is cult FOR SURE

nxhappy

Established Member
I told myself I would own one before I turned 30. I didn't get one before thirty, but I got mine at 31 years old. I had goosebumps looking in the rear view of my truck trailering it home.

drove mine 800 mines LOL through the snow too

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My story goes like this. In 2009 I had a clean 92 notch with 39k miles. I sold that to a man that flew in from North Carolina and drove it back. Unfortunately that money had to be used to pay it off.

I actively started doing a lot of research here on svtp about terminators. I told my wife I wanted to save up some money for a year or so. I think I only made it 5 months and a redfire with only 20k miles popped up on Craigslist for 20,500. This was in 2010. The car was about 2 1/2 hours away in Wisconsin. I told the wife, so much for waiting I'm going to the bank!

Buddy and I went two days later, the rest is history. I can't believe I've had it for 7 year's already, it sure doesn't feel like it.

choate

Established Member
Question: have you ever been in a vmp new 5.0?? I haven't been in anything faster, but everyone has been in different stuff that I haven't.

I have not been in a coyote with VMP but that's the route to go for sure. In fact, this fall i'm about to slap one one the terminator. Gonna keep it running on pump gas and probably a 3.1" pulley. I could go more but I don't want to smoke the engine or go e85 since the closest station is like 25 miles away. I'd say you'd get me in a roll race still but I'd venture to say I'd give you a good run for your money and just believe me, even with what it has now (450/460) it feels really damn strong and is just a complete joy to drive

stangfreak

Established Member
I bought my cobra in july of 2003.

There is just too much to write on why I keep this car. Basically, the story of the car, to the looks, and the response it got when it hit the streets and got into the shops. From nitrous pete, mustang magic, strictly, the list goes on.

Arguing over which pulley was the best. 2.93? 2.80 3.0??? Ported eaton cobras making 500rwhp and you were driving around like a boss. watching these cars evolve from the eaton to huge twin screws. Seeing kenne bell vs whipple fights almost weekly to the works blower which will come out in "TWO WEEKS" (inside joke with long time cobra owners)

All of these things just make me keep the car. The history, what I experienced with the car. Its just more than a car for me at this point. I don't even have to drive it. I built lots of memories with this car.

If you owned this car when it came out, you would also have a better understanding on why most of us have kept it and wont sell it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
For me these cars came out when I was in HS. I had just bought my 92 GT still have it. Saw the first one a MG coupe at a gas station with exhaust and was like dayum! Started reading about them. I love American muscle but it really pissed a friend of mine off at the time who was die hard GM. Ford brings this out the Fbody is gone. With bolt ons these cars were something to be messed with on the street back then.

I couldn't afford one when they came out. Bought a 96 GT in 05 it was a nice car but slow had issues with it pretty much the whole time I owned it. Traded it wanted a Terminator in 06 Still out of my league settled for an 01 Cobra that was a good car. Kept it till 2013 sold it to a guy I work with and it was between a Terminator or a 5.0. I had a daily and figured no disrespect to the 5.0's love them too. But always wanted a Terminator. Looked and found my CO in VA drive out there with the wife and family drive it back to Ohio with my oldest in the backseat it was a blast. Can't believe it's been 3.5yrs already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I also am a original owner and I plan on keeping it. I have owned many performance cars over the years, 66 GT-350, 70 Boss 302, 94 Cobra Roadster, and of course my 03 Terminator. All these cars were wonderful and I made a mistake in selling them, as they would be worth big money now. Here is the truth my Terminator is by far the most fun car I've ever had, I smile every time I drive it. I'm 69 years old and track this car 2-3 times a year and pass many newer car on track, on the street it's fun, also looks great. Some one pointed out it's one of the last performance cars with the raw feel and much simpler to repair and modify. I have made the mistake of selling great cars before and as long as I'm able I will drive and enjoy this Terminator.

Also look at the cost of the new cars, I was at my local Ford store yesterday they had a new Raptor marked up 25K so it was a total of 96K. New GT-350's are great cars , and I love them, but 60K. Maybe I should get one and keep the Cobra, but my garage if full and everything paid for!

jedeyeben

Established Member
I've always been into cars, with that said coming out of the 90s there wasn't much for horsepower compared to what we see now. Me and my family were all into mustangs early in the 2000s and I had a built 99 Cobra at the time. Loved it, sounded like war, geared and ran well. I remember going to the Chicago auto show in 02 and they debuted the "Terminator" , there was a sonic blue one on the show floor that was just mind blowing. That was it. I was sold.
The next year I bought my wife a new Redfire coupe. We were a young couple, no big expenses yet and two cobras... we would both drive to dinner, last one there bought. Lol.
Hers just made everything else laughable, so I sold the 99, bought a truck, a year later we were expecting and had bought a new house so we sold hers too... we both hated too but Life. What do you do?

Anyway fast forward 13 years... horsepower wars are in full effect solely impart because of the success of the Terminators I feel and we bought basically the same car back. Sold the original 03 at 29k miles in 05 and last year I bought a One owner Redfire coupe with 30k on the clock. I remember the phone call to her...
Me "Hey, can you get the kids from school today?"
Her "Yeah... Whhhhyyy? "
Me " Because I'm on my way to Ohio to pick up your Mother's Day gift..."
Her " wtf?! Did you buy now?!"
Me, sent pic of car
Her. " Looks like you're buying dinner again"
Lol.
They're just an iconic car and even with everything that's out there now they still hold that status. And they're soooo much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
bought mine in 06 from a guy in florida, Since I was in Iraq I paid for a one way ticket for the GF to fly out and pick it up for me. Told her if it wasn't exactly as advertised to get back on the plane and fly home. she hand carried a check for 32k that her BOSS gave her. my credit union messed up on the disbursement of the loan she was telling her boss the story and he offered the 32k so she could go get it. had 2500 on the Odo and she drove it back to Texas where it sat in my garage for 4 months before I ever laid eyes on it. for the next 6 years I drove it a few times one month a year while I was home on vacation. it only has 6900 miles on it. I MIGHT turn 7k if I decide to make the 100 mile round trip down to a car meet. I get asked occasionally how much I would sell it for. my answer is always the same 50k will pry it out of my garage. doubt I will ever sell

Users who are viewing this thread