Why is Whipple so quiet compared to Kenne Bell?

Wayneo

Established Member
I haven't really seen any videos of being inside a whipple supercharged cobra, but to me I think the KB is way to loud, personally, it kind of turns me off. Not trying to flame anyone.:thumbsup:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by Wayneo
I haven't really seen any videos of being inside a whipple supercharged cobra, but to me I think the KB is way to loud, personally, it kind of turns me off. Not trying to flame anyone.:thumbsup:
The KB is not really that loud compared to an pullied eaton it just has a different sound...More high pitched. Definately a different sound. I am sure other KB owners would agree.

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
I would prefer quiet as well, all else equal.

I am trying to understand mechanically what makes the KB scream compared to the few videos and comments from Whipple owners about the Whipple being relatively quiet. :read:

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
I'm not sure where eveyone gets this from but the whipple and the kenne bell sound the same.

:nonono: KB is much louder then a whipple. also a much different sound

:)

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by SmokenGRA03
Noise = friction IMO....
I see where you're coming from, but couldn't the noise be from air flow? Look at how loud some exhausts are, compared to others. Look at a jet engine. Or a blow gun on an air compressor vs. blowing through a soda straw. Just plain 'ole Air can be very loud sometimes.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
A fact.
KB whine is from the oil being sprayed out covering your engine therfore causing your carburator to be injecting oil into your heater core and then being burned out thru your muffler bearings.
J/K

JP

Last edited:

raiders03

Banned
My pullied Eaton was louder then my KB with 19 psi, atleast from inside my car. The Whipple is queiter then the KB because it is slower.:rockon:

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Originally posted by BillyMac72
it has to do with the cut on the gears

Both are helical cut.

Kenne Bell - 1.5 gear ratio (84 teeth female, 54 teeth male)
Whipple - 1.66 gear ratio (50 teeth female, 30 teeth male)

Kenne Bell claims this should make their blower operate with less noise. :shrug:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by KOTH
Both are helical cut.

Kenne Bell - 1.5 gear ratio (84 teeth female, 54 teeth male)
Whipple - 1.66 gear ratio (50 teeth female, 30 teeth male)

Kenne Bell claims this should make their blower operate with less noise. :shrug:
Perhaps it does at 9psi. You have to remember they are comparing a stock blower to their blower at the same PSI. I know first hand that a 8.5lb eaton sounds a hellova lot different than a 16psi eaton. I could only imagine that the KB is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread