Why isn't anyone doing colder plugs/t-stat

R1Lello

Established Member
:shrug:

popular mods in the past, especially the 180 deg stat. Howcome never a discussion about these two........plugs for those going more boost, and the t-stat for a slightly cooler running engine. Fourcam.........something different about these 5.4's I/we don't know???

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Not sure why people aren't doing plugs. I'm guessing they are, we just haven't heard about it yet. Not many people have pullied cars yet, which is usually when you need plugs.

I don't think the t-stat is really worth anything. Even with the coolant flowing earlier, these cars make heat so quick that it heats the coolant up so fast that it doesn't make hardly any difference.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Is the tr6 too cold for a N/A 4.6 with full bolt-ons in Florida? I'm torn between the tr6 and tr55. (I suppose I could call NGK or VMP...) I've been getting some random/multiple misfires up around 5k rpm, but I'm also running original plugs with 35k miles.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
eichisama said:
Is the tr6 too cold for a N/A 4.6 with full bolt-ons in Florida? I'm torn between the tr6 and tr55. (I suppose I could call NGK or VMP...) I've been getting some random/multiple misfires up around 5k rpm, but I'm also running original plugs with 35k miles.

When I had random misfires, it was due to a poor gap.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
I've heard you should use a .034 or so for FI, but NA should use .052-.054. For a 1 heat range cooler plug, should you change the gap at all from stock .052?

Is it even possible to blow out the spark on a non-FI engine (with full bolt-ons)?

Users who are viewing this thread