Why no Ford backing in ALMS?

Sonic_GT

Established Member
I know there are a few guys on here that follow the ALMS series. Anyone know why Ford doesn't sponsor a team? I think if Ford was a player in the series, Ford and GM could work together to get the ALMS more mainstream. If it had a fraction of the coverage that nascar gets it would be awesome.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
im a huge nascar fan but i do with both these sports became equally as popular.

I was hoping the whole Ken Block/Pastrana stuff and xgames rallyX would have made rally racing huge here with the younger generation, but it hasnt really done as much as i hoped.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Ford is providing support for the BOSS R program with Multimatic in the Grand-Am GS series, Matech Competition across the Big Pond working on the Ford GT1 for FIA GT1...also to be the Ford GT2 for Le Mans next year... as well as with Marc VDS Racing building a Mustang GT3 (with new IRS) for FIA GT3.

I caught wind of the following on the Lemans.org site. Refers to Roush/Yates building a EcoBoost V6 for the upcoming Lola LP2 ALMS car for 2011. If that happens I'm sure they'll get Ford support.

http://www.lemans.org/en/news/Lola-Roush-and-Yates-A-Partnership-for-the-Future_1465.html

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
keep in mind that ford still isn't "rich" by any means. the reason that the coyote 5.0l is dimensionally identical to the 4.6l is because the execs told the engineers that they could design a new engine, but it had to be able to be produced using the current modular manufacturing equipment to save money since they just designed the clean sheet boss 6.2l.
as far as ford giving backing to matech in LMS, matech did all of the work themselves and ford jumped on board after they began succesfully winning. sucks that it went that way, but it is what it is.
with ford putting so much money into NASCAR(they just designed a brand new clean sheet engine last year, drag racing(again, another brand new clean sheet engine for pro stock/top fuel classes), grand-am continental challenge(producing FR500C's before and boss 302R's now), and rolex grand-am(the cammer 5.0l is the most widely used daytona prototype engine as well as giving additional aid), there probably just isn't enough left over for ALMS as well. either le mans series is VERY expensive to participate in competitively. the reason that the GT1 class has been axed is simply put because GM out spent every other manufacturer that participated besides aston martin. the reason audi and peugeot beat the non-manufacturer teams is because they dump shit loads of cash into their cars, out spending the smaller teams. frankly, it's no surprise that ford doesn't participate.

you should be watching rolex grand-am instead anyways, much more competitive racing:banana:
im a huge nascar fan but i do with both these sports became equally as popular.

I was hoping the whole Ken Block/Pastrana stuff and xgames rallyX would have made rally racing huge here with the younger generation, but it hasnt really done as much as i hoped.
rally america is rebranding as rallycar(lame name IMO) and have picked up a new marketing company that specializes in the "younger generation". they are also starting up a new rallycross series(same thing as "super rally" in the x-games, albeit probably a bit more competitive courses) for this year. if they can get some TV coverage, then i see rally really starting to take off over here. IMO, the problem isn't that people aren't interested, but that we don't really have any sort of coverage of it over here, not even of our own rallyamerica series.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
It's my guess that you will be seeing more and more Ford involvement in European GT racing which will make its way into the Lemans and ALMS series. Keep an eye on programs I mentioned above. Could the IRS being developed for the Marc VDS Racing Mustang GT3 have something to do with the next Mustang platform? Ford may not be as directly involved as GM with the Vette program, but there are a number of development efforts going on that will be interesting. Rolex is cool, but why not enjoy FIA GT1, GT3 the Lemans series and ALMS???

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
It's my guess that you will be seeing more and more Ford involvement in European GT racing which will make its way into the Lemans and ALMS series. Keep an eye on programs I mentioned above. Could the IRS being developed for the Marc VDS Racing Mustang GT3 have something to do with the next Mustang platform? Ford may not be as directly involved as GM with the Vette program, but there are a number of development efforts going on that will be interesting. Rolex is cool, but why not enjoy FIA GT1, GT3 the Lemans series and ALMS???
99% positive that the GT3 mustang is unrelated to the 2014MY redesign platform. the next 'stang platform is supposed to be the 'global rear wheel drive' platform, which is being developed either by ford of oz or US ford(they were fighting over it last i heard because it'll underpin both the australian falcon and the US mustang).

not sure if the last part was aimed at me, but if it was, i do enjoy ALMS, and look forward to enjoying the FIA stuff when speed channels online channel starts up here in the next few months(they are supposed to be airing lots of FIA stuff). as far as ALMS/LMS goes, the races are just WAY too predictable, because the teams with the most money win. this season aside(when grand-am gave the BMW engined DPs the get out of jail free card for the entire season), rolex grand-am is just much better, less predictable racing. throw in world challenge and continental challenge with it too.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Ry_Trapp0...
My point about the Marc VDS Racing Mustang GT3 IRS is that Ford may be simply helping out to promote the concept of an IRS in the Mustang in Europe. As you noted, and is commonly known, the next Mustang platform will be international with Mustang sales overseas, but Euro drivers find the Mustang's stick-axle "quaint" at best and considering the cost of gas overseas aren't pining for the the V8. Ford is very smart about promoting their products and would make sense to promote a Mustang in Euro series. The Roush/Yate EcoBoost deal may be a similar way of building interest in that technology. BTW, the Ford GT is of big interest in the FIA series and I love seeing those cars race. It's really all Ford has to counter the Corvette at this point. A Matech Ford GT led Le Mans GT1 for a good bit this year.

Regarding other race series...competitiveness isn't always the main draw for me and others, I would imagine. Just seeing a wide variety of maxed out GT's is great fun. Frankly, the closer any of these cars are to their street origins the better for me. (What's cool is even in GT1 the Ford GT is running the original chassis.) "Balance of Performance" no matter how you achieve it is kind of lame compared to the old days when big money allowed for fully maxed out prototypes in manufacturer vs. manufacturer battles. Then you could root for a total manufacturer's package...not "just a motor" as in many silhohette cars today.

I get the point about controlling costs and using the NASCAR model to use driver vs. driver and team vs. team controversy to make the "sport" interesting. But personally I glaze over at the theatrics. I agree that in a very basic sense there is a lot to be said for creating strict rules for each class, using common technology and design to control costs and equalize performance...and then marvel at how each team creatively works to the limits to compete. But, you will find that "money still talks" in these series as well. Frankly, great drivers will always be great drivers, but they just get more on-screen exposure when that are at the front of the pack.

If you wish to watch FIA GT racing now you can catch the races streaming live (or replay) online. With live timing.

GT1 TV - FIA GT1 World Championship - Official Site

FIA GT3 European Championship - Live

Regarding the Rolex series...it is not without it's controversy. Check out this link for some interesting arguements For and Against:

dP IS A JOKE | The GRAND-AM Community

Finally, for those interested in further discussions regarding road racing check out this forum:

Sportscar & GT Racing - 10-Tenths Motorsport Forum

I think over the next year or so you are going to see better sportscar (prototype) and GT racing across the board in each series. My guess is Ford will be more and more involved.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
One of the main reasons that GM spends the money they do on the Vette program is because that money comes straight out of the marketing budget for the car and not some separate race budget.

I read a good article that explained why GM felt that to legitimize the Corvette, they had to race and win with it, which would be far more valuable than any other form of marketing/advertising. They also do a lot of R&D that eventually finds it's way to the street car.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
One of the main reasons that GM spends the money they do on the Vette program is because that money comes straight out of the marketing budget for the car and not some separate race budget.

I read a good article that explained why GM felt that to legitimize the Corvette, they had to race and win with it, which would be far more valuable than any other form of marketing/advertising. They also do a lot of R&D that eventually finds it's way to the street car.

Yessir, now that's the job we all want. "I'm sorry Mr. GTSpartan, but your adversting budget this year is only $50 million. I'm afraid you are going to have to... GO RACING WITH IT." That's the old "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" line auto ad executives have been selling to their bosses for years. Lucky bastards. Speaking of "BOSS"es let's hope the BOSS R starts winning in Grand-Am...and we all get to own one.

Users who are viewing this thread