Why not a used GT500?

Hawwk11

Established Member
Hello all 2011 Gt owners.

I was just curious as to what made everyone purchase a 11' GT instead of a 07, or 08 GT500?

Did you guys just want a new car? Maybe it was the fact that it is a 5.0?

Just curious, and would like to hear from you guys since based on what i hear may help me make up my freakin mind on which one i want :beer:

Thanks.

Mikes5.0

Established Member
Im not a fan of the early s197 body, plus I had to have the new 5.0. I always wanted a 5.0 growing up but got distracted by the import world. Now that Im older and more established I decided to buy my first new car. I love my 2011 5.0

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
looks better and far better interior. Not to mention a GT is no longer "just a GT" as even myself considered before.

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member
Full warranty, never been driven by anyone but me, Sync and other latest tech, easier to drive daily driver....pretty much sums it up for me.

A lot of those used GT500s are quite abused, so you never know.

GT500Noob

Established Member
My dad has a 09 GT500, pullied, intake etc... While its faster, you can really feel the extra weight in the car. My dad was amazed at how well my car felt compared to his. The interiors of the 07-09 500's dont even compare to the 2010+ interiors, night and day difference.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
The loan term and interest rate helped make my mind up.

Simply drive both of them. The new 5.0 has very similar power to the old GT500's and it feels SO much lighter. Have you looked at the interior of the older GT500's?

And I agree with Timeless... You are the only one who's driven it for any amount of time. You know what's been done to it, and it's up to you how long it lasts.

Riptide

Established Member
5.0 auto + roush tvs > GT500

The shelby doesn't have the fugly rear end that the new GT has. About the only advantage IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

2011fiveliter

Established Member
I wanted the 5.0 motor, I had a 5.0 when I was younger, and thought it be cool to have a next generation 5.0. Plus it is alot light, and looks better. And a great buy for a new car, and you get a full warranty with it.

ViciousJay

Established Member
it came down between the two, sometimes i wish i would have pulled the trigger on the gt500

dynasty_365

Established Member
the new 5.0 is a beast. its my first new car but my fourth mustang. overall looks r awesome, handles great, feels light, and the interior is nice and well put together. my last car was an 04 40th anniversary gt and the interior had rattles and squeeks and parts u could push and pull with ya hand. plus who doesn't want a modernized 5.0

and as far as insurance youll pay a lot less for the 5.0 vs a cobra with a supercharger and like what was stated earlier u dont know what abuse that car has had. check youtube and you'll see 100's of videos of cobras being burned out and doing donuts and racing. i'll take a new car with a warranty please thanks lol

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
When I bought my '12 GT i wasn't even considering the GT500. I was trying to decide between M3, S5 and 5.0 (yeah...pretty different bunch of cars). The 5.4 in the GT500 was only recently ('11 I think) all aluminum which made the older ones handle like crap and very heavy. You can look at the performance numbers and see how little difference the extra 100hp was making in the car compared to the 5.0.

Of all the vehicles I've bought only 2 have been new, so I'm not opposed to buying used, but only if I knew the previous owner or it was a really well maintained car that wasn't abused. Buying a used gt500 just seems like almost a guaranteed sloppy seconds purchase :D

Riptide

Established Member
"abused" lol are you guys serious? It's a mustang. If you don't abuse it, and it can't handle a few launches at the drag strip, then why would you even want the thing? It's not a china doll.

There is a difference between driving the car hard (normal) and beating the living piss out of it without taking care to maintain it.

The Shelby can probably handle more power without popping than the 5.0 can. That said the 5.0 doesn't seem to need that extra power to do just as well if not better in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:

cmsnake

Established Member
Looks, fit and finish, insurance, mpg, warranty, and the near negligable performance difference.

Users who are viewing this thread