Why not make a turbo kit to utilize the OEM water to air system?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I am thinking of this to be used with a Hellion type kit (single turbo).

All you would really need would be a custom upper manifold to bolt on top of the OEM intercooler instead of the supercharger. I'm not sure if you would relocate the alternator at that point.

I have seen some pictures of a custom kit that was designed this way.

I have used water to air systems in the past and they are very efficient with the proper capacity and the proper pump. A big heat exchanger with temp controlled fans would definately work better than an air to air system on the street, in traffic etc.

You would probably only need to relocate the intercooler reservoir to keep it away from the turbo.

What do you guys think?

Ashley

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
there is also the issues of a short runner intake to deal with. A guy on MF had a problematic result which IIRC was blamed on the PTK intake.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
postban said:
PTK does

http://www.proturbokits.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=121

I prefer the simplicity of air-to-air as opposed to managing, circulating, cooling another liquid. Sure you could ice it at the track but when A-A IC's work as well as they do............

Thanks, I hadn't seen their setup.

At the track it is a wash, you wouldn't really gain anything. On the street however, the water to air would be alot more consistent.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
postban said:
there is also the issues of a short runner intake to deal with. A guy on MF had a problematic result which IIRC was blamed on the PTK intake.

I dont like their intake already after 30 seconds of looking at it but it gets the job done for their kit.

My idea was to adapt a Hellion kit for this kind of setup, and make my own manifold.

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I dont like their intake already after 30 seconds of looking at it but it gets the job done for their kit.

My idea was to adapt a Hellion kit for this kind of setup, and make my own manifold.

You would need to make a new compressor to throttle body pipe(s) and consider new routes for all the stock 03 IC pipes, they are right where the compressor side sits. Also need to reposition the Ic pump as the Hellion filter is right there.

Sounds like a neat project though.

TRBO VNM

you would need a more efficient factory style intercooler. the stocker compared to the A to A with the hellion is no comparison on street or track.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
postban said:
You would need to make a new compressor to throttle body pipe(s) and consider new routes for all the stock 03 IC pipes, they are right where the compressor side sits. Also need to reposition the Ic pump as the Hellion filter is right there.

Sounds like a neat project though.

Yea I need to get a good look at a Hellion car.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Yea I need to get a good look at a Hellion car.

I will be posting enough pics of mine so that you will practically be able to smell the grease :lol1:

Vids galore as well. :pepper:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
mosconiac said:
Hermann's comments in this thread told me all I need to know about the difference in IAT's from an air-to-air versus re-using the OEM intercooler.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...ied-turbonator-50125.html?highlight=hermafied

Those results are not really saying anything. Ok, it had higher IAT2s...compared to what? A twin screw car? Another turbo car? Mabye that particular application didnt work as well but that is hardly a reason to say a water to air system wont work.

A water to air system works as a balance of flow and capacity. It works fine in the OEM configuration. A turbo application may need more pump, or a larger reservoir.

Ashley

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
why would the factory water to air work, when it gets heak soaked bad after one run on the street. at the track it probably is a wash but definetly on the street i do not think you can beat air to air.

Nate

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
HellionCobra said:
why would the factory water to air work, when it gets heak soaked bad after one run on the street. at the track it probably is a wash but definetly on the street i do not think you can beat air to air.

Nate

I was involved in putting an air to water setup on a Subaru WRX and it worked superbly on the street. Air to Air is definately better on the track due to weight savings and simplicity.

In regards to your statement, let's put it into perspective. Yes, the system can get headsoaked, but that is with a twin screw making almost double the HP from the factory. People generally run twinscrews with only a larger heat exchanger, and\or a larger reservoir. A higher volume pump is also needed to increase efficiency and make the system balanced again to compensate for the increased heat. It will never work right without that.

With the supercharger setup, there is a huge chunk of hot metal sitting above and below the intercooler. I would think that removing the supercharger would also remove some of the heat.

If I was going to do this, I would not leave the system in the OEM configuration. I would use a Vortech style reservoir mounted where the battery is currently, and a higher volume pump. I think the OEM intercooler may be sufficient, but I would also use a larger heat exchanger, probably with fans for the street.

The key is having enough cooled water. If you have enough cool water, it would never get heat soaked.

Ashley

Last edited:

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I was involved in putting an air to water setup on a Subaru WRX and it worked superbly on the street. Air to Air is definately better on the track due to weight savings and simplicity.

In regards to your statement, let's put it into perspective. Yes, the system can get headsoaked, but that is with a twin screw making almost double the HP from the factory. People generally run twinscrews with only a larger heat exchanger, and\or a larger reservoir. A higher volume pump is also needed to increase efficiency and make the system balanced again to compensate for the increased heat. It will never work right without that.

With the supercharger setup, there is a huge chunk of hot metal sitting above and below the intercooler. I would think that removing the supercharger would also remove some of the heat.

If I was going to do this, I would not leave the system in the OEM configuration. I would use a Vortech style reservoir mounted where the battery is currently, and a higher volume pump. I think the OEM intercooler may be sufficient, but I would also use a larger heat exchanger, probably with fans for the street.

The key is having enough cooled water. If you have enough cool water, it would never get heat soaked.

Ashley

the only way this would work is if you had a bigger intercooler for the intake aka a ford gt intercooler....which would be alot of money to get it fabbed up to work, also air to air is alot better for a dd and or track car

TRBO VNM

the comparision Hermann used was his hellion turbo kit against that other turbo kit. different kits, but very close in design and both singles.

granted, the stock intercooler that was used did not have the other components upgraded to make it work efficiently. so still as it stands out of the box the A to A is more efficient for what is currently offered.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
the comparision Hermann used was his hellion turbo kit against that other turbo kit. different kits, but very close in design and both singles.

granted, the stock intercooler that was used did not have the other components upgraded to make it work efficiently. so still as it stands out of the box the A to A is more efficient for what is currently offered.

Agreed....almost. I have no doubt the Hellion kits works better than the PTS kit. About the only thing those two kits have in common are the size of the turbo and the fact that they are single turbo kits.

The manifold on that thing looks horrible, and the charge pipes don't look to be the right size for the HP level. The Hellion (by design) runs an excellent manifold. That fact alone is a huge benefit, and may outweigh any benefit of running a W to A system.

Last edited:

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Agreed....almost. I have no doubt the Hellion kits works better than the PTS kit. About the only thing those two kits have in common are the size of the turbo and the fact that they are single turbo kits.

The manifold on that thing looks horrible, and the charge pipes don't look to be the right size for the HP level. The Hellion (by design) runs an excellent manifold. That fact alone is a huge benefit, and may outweigh any benefit of running a W to A system.

the hellion kit will also spool up faster due to the use of the lower 03 cobra intake bc of the short runners it utilizes...

Users who are viewing this thread