Why Our Pistons/ROD's Mess Up...

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Well Just found this out lest week(Where was this INFO 2 months ago before I Messed a Piston up)....
I was told That Our Engines are GREAT for Short runs (1/4). That Is why most of us that drag dont have a problem. The Problem come in when we run our engines over 130mph for a longer time (1-5 miles). This is where our pistons FAIL....The Piston can't take all that heat for a Long time thus Piston/ROD failer. And thats what happen to mine.....
That was what I was told. What do you all think?
Long story short, Im boring out my block and going with some JE Pistons....This should be all I need to do 500+RWHP(+ other MODS...Pulley-exhuast TB so on)

Hope the BLOCK is OK!!!!!
:rockon:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I think you have left out alot details... What modifications have you made i.e. pulley,chip,exhaust? What oil have you been using..I have personally maintained triple digits speeds for several miles at time with no ill side effects :shrug: Last but certainly not least...whom was your source for this info?

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by IUP99snake
ford tested the 03 cobra motor pretty good..

they ran it at WOT for several days straight if im not mistaken. maybe more.

-Homer
I also heard this, 300 hours I beleive was stated to be the test time. Of course if your modified your creating more heat and it makes the "hot spot" opn the drivers head more of an issue. This is where aptens new cooling mod should really help out.

lethal

Established Member
Blocks are cheap, like $400-$500. Probably less if you shop around. I don't believe the past quarter mile thing, its only speculation unless the source can be proven... another rumor in the wild.

John

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by lRageATMl
our rods are fine, our pistons are pieces of shit
yep

since we're speculating...I think heating these pistons up to stupid high temps time, after time after time is what's killing them. Mine didn't crack or hole or anything...they melted around the skirts and it appears the damage occurred over a period of time, not all at once.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Originally posted by lRageATMl
our rods are fine, our pistons are pieces of shit

I thought that you pinpointed the problem to the fuel delivery rather than the pistons? I.E. clogged fuel line. Btw, how's your rebuild coming along?

sb03cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
absolutely not true

the pistons are sensitive to bad tunes

Exactly!

How many stock engines have had piston failures?

High HP + pump gas = little room for error

Terminator

Established Member
Originally posted by sb03cobra
Exactly!

How many stock engines have had piston failures?

My 03 was stock and the no.1 piston failed after a hard ten minute run, so there might be some truth to that rumor.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I seriously doubt cruising at 130 will cause any engine damage. If you are cruising you are not running any boost. Cobra motor not running boost=no stress on motor. However, if you are running WOT in high gear at lower RPM's for a period of time it may be stressful on the car.

I would agree that most engine failures are a result of a bad tune or some type of fuel/computer/mehcnical failure that causes the car to lean out.

Users who are viewing this thread