Why should I get a 2003 Cobra?

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
I can address the car seat issue :)
I have one strapped into my back seat on a continual basis. My son (2 now) loves riding in the car, as does my 8 yr old and my wife. I cant tell you how many time I have had the top down with the whole family in the car at a red light, and someone will notice the kids and give me a thimbs up. It's hard to look cool with the car seat, but I for one dont care, long as everyone is having fun :coolman:
You will love the car - no comparison to an ls1 - especially with some mods

peace

Fleck 5

Established Member
My buddy had a 2002 SS Camaro SLP edition. It was 345 HP.
The Camaros are bad ass cars but I just couldn't get myself to own one. My buddy was trying to sell me his Camaro when I was looking at buying my Cobra and I just couldn't do it. The long windshield, the bump on the floor on the passengers side and having the motor stuffed under the dashboard are just a couple of the things I didn't like about it. The car seemed so long too and there was also a funky looking bow tie on it. The car just seemed awkward.

redstaf426

Established Member
Fleck 5 said:
My buddy had a 2002 SS Camaro SLP edition. It was 345 HP.
The Camaros are bad ass cars but I just couldn't get myself to own one. My buddy was trying to sell me his Camaro when I was looking at buying my Cobra and I just couldn't do it. The long windshield, the bump on the floor on the passengers side and having the motor stuffed under the dashboard are just a couple of the things I didn't like about it. The car seemed so long too and there was also a funky looking bow tie on it. The car just seemed awkward.

Yeah,they do look funky to me,too.That's why I never bought one,How do I say...yeah,they look like Bat-mobile from batman :D

nugen

Established Member
At the track I own modded Firehawks all day long with my Cobra on stock tires. I don't know how a Firehawk stacks up to a WS6, but I know that the Firehawks are supposed to be pretty quick. Correction, Firehawks ARE pretty quick, but your Cobra will be faster.

IDAREU

Banned
You could buy a new 04 GTO for 24-25k brand new and still have the LS1 and full factory warranty. Alot more room in the back for your kids and the leather cleans up real nice.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
I had a '94 Z28 A4 when I was 18, it was pretty cool at the time. I will agree that Camaros are ugly, but the T/A's really catch my eye. Thnx for addressing the car seat....there will 2 of them back there so I want to make sure they are comfortable. In all honesty I love the Cobra, and I have been reading up for a while. I have recognized that they mod alot better than the LS1 buck for buck. Hell, even on the local LS1 website alot of people want the Terminator, but they bought their Fbody in pre-2002 and have spent so much money modding that they cant bear to part with it. There is also alot of repsect for this Terminator in stock trim from Fbody owners. Driving one will be the deciding factor. Thnx :burnout:

redstaf426

Established Member
Lloyd Xmas said:
Oh and the GTO....its looks like a glorified Grand AM.....Not for me

Yeah,please don't get the GTO,tis ugly and slow :xpl:

I know the new ones are faster and modded with some rice accessories,but still....

Quick Strike

Established Member
My 2 year old and 8 year old ride with me to day care and home from day care on most sunny days. We all enjoy the ride, and I have built in shifting critics (as in you really blew the 3-4 Daddy!). My wife likes nothing more then a ride with the top down in the summer. It has something for everyone in the family.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I traded in a 98 WS6 on my 2003 cobra. I meen right after I test drove the COBRA. 3 hrs later it was my car. The Cobra handles alot better IMO than the WS6. And the HP is a hugh diff. The supercharger gives you the quick throw you in your seat feeling. And 3rd gear just lasts for ever.

My friend has a SS 2002 SLP camaro(auto). I just have a CAI on my cobra and I walk him pretty easy.

I drive mine as a daily driver and love it. I get around 24MPG at 80MPH when I drive to CALI. It took me about 2 days to get used to the seats. But now I get into my car and it is a part of me or me a part of it.

There realy is not alot of room in the back seat. But then again neither is there in a WS6. I am 6'4" 230# so no car has room behind me...LOL...

Get the COBRA. And enjoy the ride :pepper: .

Vegas

Last edited:

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Quick Strike said:
We all enjoy the ride, and I have built in shifting critics (as in you really blew the 3-4 Daddy!).

Freakin hilarious!
Sunny days..top down.......sounds awsome.

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Lloyd Xmas said:
I have found many for around 21-23k with an average of 30k miles.

Being a current F-Body owner, this is kinda pricey for an '02 Trans Am. Even a WS6. You shouldn't have any issues finding or paying for one priced well under $20K. Even a last year 2002. Hell, I'll be selling my rare 2000 Formula WS6 for around $14K come Spring and it's only got 36K miles on it. :)

Anyways, I think it's about personal preference. I do like the looks of my Formula better than the Cobra, but I'm still selling it to buy a 03/04 Cobra in a couple months. The fact that you can spend a few grand and have streetable, driveable, liveable 500 RWHP is amazing. My car makes 383 RWHP and runs near 11's, but it's loud and in your face with that cam and exhaust. While I still love that sound, I'm looking forward to running faster and being quieter doing it. Good luck with your decision... :thumbsup:

STREETREBEL

Established Member
FOR $25,000 YOU COULD BUY A NEW
GT MUSTANG. THROW ANOTHER $3 GRAND
AT IT WITH MODS AND N2O. YOU WOULD
BE KICKING A LOT OF WS6 AND COBRA BUTT'S! :thumbsup:

WS.6 Man

Established Member
I say test drive both cars, the WS.6 and the '03/04 Cobra. I own a WS.6 and love, and I will keep when I buy the next SVT Cobra or something else. I test drove an '04 Cobra last summer. Speed and raw power the Cobra has the advantage, no doubt. I did not get on the Cobra too much, since I was not buying it. But if I wanted to buy another sport/muscle car, it would have been the '04 Cobra. Handling I give the nod to the Cobra as well. The ride is nice and firm, but not harsh at all. Ride quality is great for a daily driver IMO.

As for the new GTO, I test drove one after driving the Cobra. The GTO is slow and does not even feel like the advertised 350HP. Stock vs stock my WS.6 is faster than the GTO, a car with higher HP & TQ rating. The GTO has an okay interior thats all and decent ride quality, thats all.

Also back to the handling of the Cobra, very nice. I spent a good amount of $$ on suspension parts for my car, still does not compare to the stock Cobra.

Again IMO go test drive both cars, and see which one you like.

Have fun with your choice.

Pyro

Established Member
o3SnakeBite said:
I have seen many cobra's for 25-26 with under 10k miles... You cant beat that! PLus the power is always there with the blower... Your going to buy a stock car that runs high 12's@110+, change the pulley and get a tune for under $500 and you are looking at low 12's @116+.... PLus the cobra seats are the best seats I think you can get from a stock car. If low 12's aint enough, all you need is a KennyBell supercharger upgrade and you are looking at 130 trap speeds... Plus they just sound better! :pepper:

My 03 had a toddler seat AND a baby seat before I retired it to weekend duty. They fit without a problem. The biggest problem is keeping their feet off the back of my seat. They absolutely LOVE the acceleration! I wouldn't change a thing.

BIG RCB1

Established Member
not to long ago i owned both the cobra and an 02 ws6 m6. for what its worth at elevation (i am at 5200ft.) the cobra is considerably faster. na cars do not run at this elevation. however, i regret trading the ws6, the car was fun, easier to drive fast, and in my opinion better looking. although i don't really like the cobra styling i couldn't pass up a forged, and supercharged motor mated to a t56 right off the showroom floor!!!

bunk22

Established Member
I too use a child's safety seat in my Cobra. I cover the seats with a towel though when in use. My first time to the track with my Cobra, I went 6-1 with my only loss to a raced out Mopar that was trailored. I hung with him though. What was kinda funny was the fact that I was the only car racing with a child's seat in the back (no child of course).

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
I recently read the specifications on the Cobra,,,gas mileage etc 16 city and 22 highway, not too bad, but it could be better since its has a 6 speed. As I start to mod and add a pulleyand exhaust, would I lose any more gas mileage. Would I gain any with a good tune? Gas mileage is important to me, my Dodge Hemi Q/C is getting an average of 13 city and 14 highway, and its killing me. And I drive more like an 80 year old man than I do anything else. But its not so important not to get it. I'll probably just deal with it. The WS6 gets approximately 19 city 28 highway, not too shabby. Whats the average mpg people are getting with their modded Cobras? Sorry so long, but I am eager to learn.

Thnx Will

2003 Silver

Banned
Lloyd Xmas said:
Yes...FWHP was meant for FLY-Wheel HP :rollseyes . I do own a Honda Accord, but it is my dailey beater, that I drive 45 miles to work one way. The rest of the time I drive my Hemi Q/C 4x4. My wife has already agreed to let me spend $500 to 1000 for mods at first. She decided this a long time because I wouldnt shut up about it. I figure CAI, aftermarket X and a CB, and maybe a dailey driver friendly pullet setup. There is a guy who I work with whos dad has an 03 mineral gray Cobra, with about 4000 miles on the clock. My friends swears up and down that his dad wants to get rid of it...and would let it go for 23k, since he owns much much less than that....rich focker.
Oh and BTW .....I HATE MINIVANS :xpl: . Plus we are stopping at 2 kids....snip snip.......Thnx for the quick replys........feel fee to post more

Snip! Snip!.....You have more balls than me (no pun intended)....let your wife get her tubes tied!!!! BTW....get the Cobra!

Users who are viewing this thread