Why this is my last Cobra/Mustang/Ford ***SVT/FORD Gone to sh!t***

nuxx

Established Member
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2004/recalls/recall.ford.gt.19dec04.htm

If Ford/SVT can not build a marque car such as the GT and not have problems... what does it say about any future performance cars from the brand, even more so those that are produced in higher volumes and with less quality control.

In the first of two recalls, Ford will inspect the fuel system of all GTs made from 13 October 2004 through 19 November 2004. Some of the Ford GTs may require the installation of a new fuel tank.

The second recall to be issued will be safety related due to defective suspension control arms. The safety recall will include all GTs made from JOB1 (30 June 2004) through 11 December 2004. According to a Ford memo, "Ford has identified a quality issue with the suspension control arms on the affected vehicles which may adversely affect vehicle handling in the event of a control arm fracture. In the event a customer does not seek service for the diminished handling concern, a crash potentially could occur." Replacement parts should be available to dealers by 01

Not only do the cars have two extremely dangerous problems, but the owner won't be able to drive them for atleast over a month.

According to sources, Ford may issue a future recall to replace the rear engine exterior cowl cover due to alleged cracking issues. A BlueOvalNews article published on 07 September 2004 alleged that the cylinder heads on the GT may be defective, however, no such defects have been reported.

No shit. Ford is having problems with cylinder heads? Wow... you think after the massive problem they've had with 03/04 Cobra heads, they'd make sure there wasn't a problem with the GTs heads... oh wait, Ford said there isn't a problem and the tick is normal. Oh well hope the GT owners are happy with their 150k+ ticking supercar. Well when they are allowed to drive them.

How are problems like these going to sway Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Aston, MB, etc... customers away? It's not hard to build a fast car, but building a quality car seems to be elusive to Ford.

What the hell happened to SVT/Ford??? Financial problems really have the company producing such low grade products? It's really sad.

I've only driven Cobras, from my first car to my current, four in total. But after a terrible exterior design of the 05 Mustang and quality control slipping to horrid levels, I know a 5th Cobra is not in my future. Also putting a solid rear axle in the new Mustang GT... sorry Ford that's archaic, not the preference of the enthusiast.

Audi RS4 / C6 Z06 sure look good... and those manufacturers are now producing some great cars.

Too bad Ford, you dropped the ball.

Guess I was right when I told a well off friend looking at a Ford GT, "Why the hell would you want a 150k Ford? It will no doubt have problems like every other Ford has." He's now looking at an SL65 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

nuxx

Established Member
SWEET94COBRA said:
Yeah because chevrolet has no problems with there cars.

The 50k Z06 is Chevy's top performance car, the 150k GT is Ford's. The 1/3 cost Z06 doesn't have quality problems like this. Ford got in over their heads. This isn't an Fbody vs Mustang battle. They threw a car into the mix with the World's best cars. There is 0 room for error. How many recalls have there been on the Carrera GT, Enzo, GT2, 575, DB9, Murcielago, SL/CL65, etc... if any, none to this degree. Just saying, Ford wasn't ready to enter this market.

Last edited:

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
How long have they been making the vette or the Carrera?? As far as entering the market, ford made the market before there were any of these cars. Sometimes to think outside of the box, you got to make some mistakes. I'm just saying, I wouldn't bash on ford because of this. I applaude ford for stepping forth and making sure there cars are o.k. Give it a few years.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
My friend told me the other day i bought a $30,000 dashboard You know what he is right..

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Dont ever buy an 'exotic' then. You wont like the experience. Ever wonder why you see all those Ferraris for sale with only 12,000miles on them? Because they're DONE at 12k and unless you have family ties to Modena, it'll cost you an arm and a leg to keep the car on the road. Even rich people dont want to go that deep into it.

Porsche is an Auto Union product. Enough said about quality there... :xpl: glorified volkswagens. Ever work on one? Yeesh.

Go to the BMWOA track events and watch how much oil the M3 guys put in the crankcase to keep from developing a ticking cylinder head

Part of the problem is that there's no money in building and selling cars for Ford. The fact that a car is sold is incidental to the fact that they want to sell you a car loan becuase thats where they make their money.

Any idiot knows that a first-model-year release is going to be buggy. Its like that with ANY automaker.

I'm also skeptical of anything comingout of BON as they've cried wolf several times. Easiest example to cite is the report of halting shipments of anything with a 3v engine in it. And yet, the product is in the pipeline....

Last edited:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
if i was able, i would buy a GT and not look back. sure would rather have one than a ferrari, and i'll bet its a lot more reliable.

redstaf426

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Dont ever buy an 'exotic' then. You wont like the experience. Ever wonder why you see all those Ferraris for sale with only 12,000miles on them? Because they're DONE at 12k and unless you have family ties to Modena, it'll cost you an arm and a leg to keep the car on the road. Even rich people dont want to go that deep into it.

Porsche is an Auto Union product. Enough said about quality there... :xpl: glorified volkswagens. Ever work on one? Yeesh.

Go to the BMWOA track events and watch how much oil the M3 guys put in the crankcase to keep from developing a ticking cylinder head

Part of the problem is that there's no money in building and selling cars for Ford. The fact that a car is sold is incidental to the fact that they want to sell you a car loan becuase thats where they make their money.

Any idiot knows that a first-model-year release is going to be buggy. Its like that with ANY automaker.

I'm also skeptical of anything comingout of BON as they've cried wolf several times. Easiest example to cite is the report of halting shipments of anything with a 3v engine in it. And yet, the product is in the pipeline....

Yeah,all the auto makers are like that.I understand Ford do not make quality products,but I didn't care anyways cus I figure eventually I'll tear everything down and make it a quality product my self.Plus,The 03 Cobras are just stupid fast,and a real bang for the buck "power,speed and racing wise".

That aside,I work in a Honda dealer ship,Honda suppostly has quality made cars,Right??WRONG!!!! Every new Hondas that came out,has at least 10 recalls to go with it,and guess what,all of them are safety recalls.they build the shities car in the world.Honda's performance car,The S2000,notice how they can be revved to 9 grand??Yeah,at 9k the motor explodes(and it is still soooooo slow).I don't remember how many S2000 motors exploded in the past 4 yrs,their clutchs go out at around 20k,the dealer ships replaced a lot of these motors,clutchs and rear ends under warrenty.Honda got tired of paying for them,so they lower the rev limit to 8200 rpm for the new s2k.Even regular family vans like the Oddessey,Accord and Pilots,the first yr they come out,they were already burning up transmission second gears.Mass recalls has been issued,people had their transmission locked up while driving in a long trip. Another recall The water pump casting had a defect and was shreadding away the timing belt causing it to snap(the motor is gone when it does),and another recall immediately after that where the automatic timing belt tensioner leaks and lose it's pressure and tension for the timing belt,causing it to jump gears.There are much...and I mean much much more(I have recall bulletines and TSBs as thick as a phone book just for 2000-2004 vehicles),I just do not want to bore y'all with the details.As a Tech,at times,I literally do 8-10+ recalls "only", in a day.I think Ford is okay...2 recalls on a car is much better then 10+ recalls on a car,even if it does eventually has maybe let's say 5+ recalls,The guys at Ford will probably tell them selfs,"It's cool,at Least we are not a Honda :lol: ". :beer:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
If this is true, I sure it is due to Saleens involvement. Anyone who who ever had an S351 will know what I am talking about!!

dougwg

Established Member
the problem is that there are a lot of parts in a car....

which means there are lots of chances for stuff to go wrong

Shit happens

All cars have some problems

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
I have owned new cars/trucks from
Renault
VW
BMW
Chrysler
Subaru
Nissan
Honda
GM
Toyota
Ford

Yes, I've been around a while, ergo the handle.

Fords, Subarus, and Hondas have given me the least trouble. They ALL have their problems (especially Chrysler & BMW). When I was much younger, the company that made the vehicle I was driving at the time always had the poorest quality. Everything else HAD to be better (most were not).

:read:

Users who are viewing this thread