wide band sensor in over axle pipe?

Stevan26

Established Member
hello guys,

what do you think about me putting a bung in my over axle pipe right after the mid pipe?

i have a lethal Off road H pipe installed.. and im getting a Borla touring Catback system soon.. and instead of pulling the H pipe to weld in a bung.. i figured itd be easier to do in the over axle pipe right after the mid pipe sense it wont be on the car when i get it...

im gonna get the NGK AFX wide band kit to watch it after new upgrades and tunes and every spring.. so its not the full time gauge set up..

anyway do u think putting it there will be an alright spot?

if nothing else i could just pull a downstream O2 sensor and put the wide band sensor in there.. do some pulls and put the O2 back in.. sense they are turned off anyway...

so whats some opinions? go!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Too far back, needs to be much closer to the exhaust ports to be accurate.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
As he said it should be close to your collector/manifold to be accurate. Maybe get yourself an aeroforce and their wideband kit that way you can monitor O2 and other things.

Stevan26

Established Member
idk what u mean by that,

so even though sniffers on the dyno go in the tail pipe, u dont think thatd be accurate enough right away in the over axle pipe?

well putting the wide band in the O2 sensor bung to check. thatd be close enough wouldnt it?..

id rather not go through the work of pulling my H pipe off if i dont have too... getting the top bolts and one upstream O2 plug sucks!

anyway. ok so in the over axle pipe is too far back... but the down stream O2 bung should work fine right? or you think i should just suck it up... pull the H pipe off, cut a hole and weld another bung in there?( remember im gonna use the NGK AFX kit that i remove and install when needed... if the downstream O2 bung is good enough.. il just pull the O2 sensor for when i want to read my AFR...

im not really big into having gauges in the car.. i guess id live with it if i had too.. hmm piller gauges.. or supersnake gauge pod with my own gauges..

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
I mean Aeroforce gauges have the ability to monitor anything your OBD stream puts out and the make an add on kit that allows the gauge to utilize a wide band sensor. As for putting it in the H pipe then I would say it shouldnt take any decent exhaust shop more than a few minutes on a lift to put the sensor in.

Also. Tail pipe sniffers commonly used on dynos can be off. When I got my car tuned it showed 11.2 on the dyno. But later when I installed Aeroforce gauges that actually use the widebands already installed from the factory on the 11+ cars it was showing 10.4 at WOT. Thats way to rich. A retune was in order just because I didnt have a wideband.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Only 11-12 cars have factory widebands for the Aeroforce to read.

OP, tailpipe sniffers like used on the dyno will read leaner than what you're actually at since they are so far back. I believe most sensors recommend being 18-24" from the exhaust ports. I have my AFX mounted in my glovebox with my boost controller so I can get hide the gauges when I want to.

Stevan26

Established Member
does that kit come with the actual gauge?

seems nice.. just i think im pretty stuck on the NGK AFX box kit.. but il consider that.. thanks..

but back to my OP.. so suck it up and put it in the H- pipe eh...

i could pull the h pipe off and weld it in my self.. so an exhaust shop would do it on car? what about the metal shavings that gets into the pipe when u drill the hole?

if u have a solution to that.. i may just weld it in car my self..

besides telling me about other gauges.. and personal set ups.. which i appreciate. not much has been said on what i should do.

i think i may just pull a downstream O2 sensor when i want to get a AFR reading... and then pull out the wideband sensor and put the O2 back in.. by far the easiest id say.. iknow leaving it in its own bung would be great.. but i dont plan on needing to read my AFR all that often

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You should always monitor AFR. If an injector craps out or your pumps get weak or anything else goes wrong, you'll know in an instant and have a chance at saving your engine.

Don't weld on the car... too many things that can go wrong with that. Take the 30 minutes to pull the mid pipe, drill the hole with a step bit, and weld in the bung. The AFX comes with a bung to weld in. It took me maybe an hour start to finish. The hardest part was running the harness. Make sure you get the NTK sensor with the AFX. It's more expensive than the Bosch sensor, but far better.

Here's my AFX in the glovebox.

IMG_1970_zpsd5c92bbc.jpg

Stevan26

Established Member
how did u run the wires to get it in the glove box? and most kits i see come with the NTK sensor for the same price...

ok if i decide to make it permanent.. i may do it like that..or maybe just get the piller gauge pod and run a boost gauge and a normal AFR gauge.. if not il just steel the o2 bung when ever i want to take a reading..

i kinda wanted to go with the NGK AFX box for the specific reason of it not being in my car.. so i can use it on my other cars.. my dads shelby.. my buddies shelby... and other good friends cars...

and iknow what u mean about always monitering it... but alot of cars DONT always watch it.. and its hard to watch that and drive too... under WOT..

why get the NGK AFX box kit if im gonna mount it in the car at all times? defeats the purpose of it... except that its easy and can hook up to my SCT and log readings....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NGK-Powerde...Parts_Accessories&hash=item338a20123d&vxp=mtr

what do you guys think about this used kit? i might bid on it.. its not USED its damaged box/open item.. what u think?

Last edited:

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
just put it in one of the rear O2 sensor bungs, tape up the stock connector so it doesn't get wet, and just leave it out, they are turned off anyway. I have ran mine like this for over 7 years.

fullboogie

Established Member
We had a heck of a time getting an O2 bung welded into my H pipe. We had to use the driver's side, inboard (toward the tranny), and it faces down at the 4 o'clock position. This is not the ideal placement, as they are supposed to be even or tilted "up". But it works, and the sensor is easy to get to - both for the guy welding in the bung, and the owner to remove/replace.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I think putting it in the forward part of your over axle pipe will be just fine. Mine is in my rear o2 sensor port which is about 12-18 inches from the over axle connection. That short of a distance isn't going to make much of a difference when simply monitoring afr's.

Stevan26

Established Member
I think putting it in the forward part of your over axle pipe will be just fine. Mine is in my rear o2 sensor port which is about 12-18 inches from the over axle connection. That short of a distance isn't going to make much of a difference when simply monitoring afr's.

thats exactly what i figured! especially when i dont have cats..

still want to see what some more people think about doing that... most people on here have just been replying saying get this or that and do this.. but not many have said much about the front of the OA pipe...

il measure the difference when i can.. cant imagine it making alot of difference..wish a tuner or some professional would chime in.. like VMP.

FEAR: i was thinking the same.. or just installing when i want to take some readings.. either or..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread