wide body kit interest

Albino Snake

Established Member
I called Saleen about that wide bodykit back when I had my GT. It was back in 1999. That thing priced for over $10,000 considering the fact it was all carbon fiber and every panel on the car would be replaced. Imagine the labor and time it would take for a body shop to put that thing together:eek: It is most definately a bad ass body kit! I wanted that kit so bad back then, but quickly changed my mind when I realized it would potentially turn into a $15,000-20,000 project.:(

Last edited:

amorrow

Established Member
I've always wanted that wide-body Saleen; that's a car I'll always have in the back of my mind. I researched that thing awhile back, wanting to discover exactly how many were made, and if any were available for sale at the time. It turns out there was only ONE made...the "Rainbow" car with the tall wing everyone sees is actually the same black wide-body in Saleen's 1998 parts catalog. The most I've found out is that Saleen sold the car as a rolling chassis (no drivetrain) to a previous customer of theirs. It would be cool to find out who has it now...I just wish I had the extra $$$ sitting around to make that individual a serious offer, lol...I'm sure this one-off car would command an outrageous pricetag, even without the engine/trans.

I've never heard of a single person who's bought the wide-body kit. Always looked cool, but the kit itself isn't worth the $10K+ pricetag imo. Having the original, one-off wide-body Saleen, on the other hand, would definately be a cool thing to have! However...if someone here doesn't fret the required coin needed to get the kit, you better post some freaking pics...you'll certainy have a sharp car!

Last edited:

amorrow

Established Member
One thing to consider, though...Saleen can't get their act together enough to make a simple S281 wing fit properly...I imagine it would be just plain scary getting this wide-body kit to fit. I heard from others the fit and finish were nearly perfect on "The One"...I just wonder how much time was spent on getting the car to look that way.

white97

Established Member
amorrow said:
One thing to consider, though...Saleen can't get their act together enough to make a simple S281 wing fit properly...I imagine it would be just plain scary getting this wide-body kit to fit. I heard from others the fit and finish were nearly perfect on "The One"...I just wonder how much time was spent on getting the car to look that way.

i do agree, but i wouldnt bother me to take the time and do it right as i work in a body shop.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Which kit are you talking about, the SR? Can you repost it here for me? I'd have interest if its the SR kit. Who do I contact for this? PM me White97.

Dave

white97

Established Member
some pics.

124471.jpg

124466.jpg

124464.jpg

124465.jpg

Albino Snake

Established Member
If I had the dough to make an offer to whom ever has the car, I would most definately want that as a collector. That thing is just beautiful:bowdown: That is by far one of the baddest looking cars out there next to the Super Stallion, and Coletti's BOSS:thumbsup:

white97

Established Member
my plan was to find a V6 car strip the body panels and go to town. my other plans as of right now, if they dont come out with the kit again i plan to build one my self, just add some metal in certain areas that need it. done the home work and it is possible. the only thing that has stumped me is the widening of the rear axle. i would like to keep it a live axle but can you have an axle widened. or other thought were to use a truck rear end that is already wider. dont know yet but one way or another i will build one, hopefully i want to get started this coming summer. but who knows. Black car Black interior Black 19 wheels polished lip and some Black tinted windows. ( hell bound looking car with some hellacious exhaust)

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
white97 said:
my plan was to find a V6 car strip the body panels and go to town. my other plans as of right now, if they dont come out with the kit again i plan to build one my self, just add some metal in certain areas that need it. done the home work and it is possible. the only thing that has stumped me is the widening of the rear axle. i would like to keep it a live axle but can you have an axle widened. or other thought were to use a truck rear end that is already wider. dont know yet but one way or another i will build one, hopefully i want to get started this coming summer. but who knows. Black car Black interior Black 19 wheels polished lip and some Black tinted windows. ( hell bound looking car with some hellacious exhaust)

You don't have to widen the axles, only rims and tires. Also, being you have a v-6, you gotta upgrade to some serious HP to have this kit in my opinion, that car is a true brawler, if you show up on the street and can't back it up, I would not even bother. How much did they say it would cost? Carbon fiber or fiberglass? Any details? Who did you talk to there?

Dave

white97

Established Member
dtheo said:
You don't have to widen the axles, only rims and tires. Also, being you have a v-6, you gotta upgrade to some serious HP to have this kit in my opinion, that car is a true brawler, if you show up on the street and can't back it up, I would not even bother. How much did they say it would cost? Carbon fiber or fiberglass? Any details? Who did you talk to there?

Dave
NO no no. i meant just a v6 shell and put a big motor in it. that way when you insure it. it is insured as a v6 to. price wise they didnt say anything just to call back at the end of jan. and they would give me a list and price of things that they will be making again. and about the rear end i want to widen it be cause the body is 3.5 inches wider on each side and i dont want to run deep dish wheels. And for one that would be a heck of a offset!

Albino Snake

Established Member
dtheo said:

Dave
When I called Saleen back in 1999 the cost was a little over $10,000, I personally can't see them putting this back into production although they should considering the owner of the original has an accident or something. About the widening of the axles, no need to do that... 10 inch width wheels or better is what you would need.

white97

Established Member
i have 10 in wide wheels on my cobra now and to get them to the wheel opening edge there is already a huge back spacing. I just dont like deep dish wheels on mustangs. i would love to get an irs and fab up some extended swing arms but you would run into the problem of widening the half shalfts. ( saleen ran irs, ford and saleen actually developed the 99 up cobra irs on this cars, but the saleens arms were longer.)

Albino Snake

Established Member
I would think 10 inch width in the front and 11 inch width in the back would be sufficent. Also now that I think of it a 9 inch rear might have been in those cars also, I will research it.

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
If its 10k, then F that. I can do it a lot cheaper with a nice fabricator, maybe not exact kit, but wide body front and rear. I'd be interested, but I think saleen will rape us on price because they always do. If anyone finds any more details, please let me know.

Dave

white97

Established Member
there was an article in a mustang mag back in 94,5,6,7,8 i dont remember but they did a full shoot on the color change ones and it gave specs and it had an irs. and had alot of cool pics if anybody has this mag or can get it do and post pics. PLEASE

amorrow

Established Member
white97 said:
they made more than one i have some pics of a saleen show with a white one and a black one sitting next to each other.

There were several racecars, but only one street prototype (the showcar with the multi-prismatic paint). While the racecars had many more modifications made to the chassis (or unibody) itself, the wide-body street car was basically the wide-body kit on a standard Mustang rolling chassis.

white97

Established Member
the white one in the pics that i have had a full interior in it and the 351 R code motor in it and did not have the big wing on the back. it definately was not a race car. maybe just a promotional car but def not a race car.

Albino Snake

Established Member
Here are the specs on the 04 Saleen SR:

Engine
- 4.6L Saleen Centrifugal Supercharged OHV 90 degree V-8
- Horsepower - 505 @ 5400 / Torque - 500 ft. lbs. @ 3500
- Compression ratio 8.2:1 / Bore and stroke - 4.00" x 3.50"
- Sequential electronic fuel-injection
- 65 mm throttle body
- Saleen upper/lower manifold
- 80 mm mass-air sensor
- 36 lb./hr. fuel injectors
- Hydraulic roller camshaft and lifters
- Forged aluminum pistons, aluminum heads
- Saleen ceramic coated headers
- Saleen 2.5" stainless steel 4-way catalytic high flow exhaust
- High flow fuel pump
- Premium fuel calibration
- Saleen high performance radiator

Drivetrain
- Saleen Quick Ratio 6-speed manual transmission
- Ford 9" Limited Slip differential
- Custom balanced driveshaft

Suspension
- Front: Saleen independent uneven length double wishbone with
Saleen N2 triple adjustable shocks and adjustable sway bars
- Rear: Saleen 3 link live axle with sway bar
- Performance Enhancements: Unibody construction with roll cage and suspension reinforcement, power assisted rack and pinion steering

Brakes
- Power 4-wheel ABS disc brakes with integrated cooling ducts
- Front: Saleen 14.4" metallic disc with 4-piston calipers
- Rear: Saleen 13.0" metallic disc with 4-piston calipers

Wheels
- Saleen five spoke alloy wheels
- Front 18" x 10"
- Rear 18" x 11"

Tires
- High performance Pirelli PZero,
- Front: P285/30 ZR-18
- Rear: P335/30 ZR-18

Performance Numbers
- 1/4 Mile - 11.8/124mph
- 0-60mph - 4.0 seconds
- Lat. Accel. - 1.09 g
- Braking 60-0mph - 98 ft

Performance Upgrades

- Saleen Independent Rear Suspension Upgrade
The Saleen IRS system upgrades the standard rear suspension to a fully independent double wishbone, inboard rocker activated shock suspension.

- 3.55:1 Differential Gear Ratio
The 3.55:1 rear end gear provides a lower ratio that improves low end acceleration. A 3.27:1 gear ratio is standard.

- Leather Saleen Seating
The standard Ford Mustang GT seats are replaced with Saleen/Recaro fronts and matching Saleen Edition rear seat. The frount seats, head rests and rear seat are 100% covered in full grained, genuine leather. Saleen identification is embroidered into the front seats. Available in dark charcoal and medium parchment. Price - $3,989.00

- Saleen Accent Package (Dark Charcoal Interior Only)
With this option, we are striving to make the driver feel as though he is behind the wheel of a pure bred race car. These accents include shift knob, side mirror covers, and center console surround. Price - $1,075.00

Exterior Options
Saleen Factory Paint Colors
- Speedlab Yellow
- High-Ho Silver
- Lizstick Red
- Pearl White
- Stealth Black

Saleen Extreme Rainbow Paint
A rainbow of clearcoat colors will set your Saleen apart from the ordinary. Must order chassis with black exterior paint for this option. Price - $11,500.00

MSRP - Between $158,000-$175,000

Users who are viewing this thread