widening the track width

gpsmatt

Established Member
Right now i have sn95 a arms on a 86 k member going with a mm k member and i see some guys run sn95 arms on that for a super wide front track. If I were to do this i would also get a lincoln mk7 rear end which is 1/4 wider per side then a new edge rear end. If i end up doing this plans are to go with tiger racing fender flares. Any one here running a similar set up or what do you guys think about that?

wheelhopper

Established Member
Is a 1/2" of width really going to make that big a difference. You could probably try a different tire compound or width and get similiar results for less hassle.

Just an idea.

gpsmatt

Established Member
every little bit helps tho you know. I am getting new a arms any ways and i need a 5 lug rear end for my 85gt so its not too much hassle.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
You could run a different offset on your wheels. On my '03, I ran a stock k-member, MM forward offset control arms, 18x9.5" wheels with a +20 offset, and 275/35/18 Yokohama AVS ES100 tires (wide for a 275) and my tires were spaced pretty far out in the front. In the rear with the IRS, I had the same wheel and tire setup, but I could have easily run the +13 offset that they made for my wheels.

gpsmatt

Established Member
i already have a 17x9 with a 24mm offset. The point is i am getting new everything anyways how worth it is it to have the extra track. Camber is a good one too cause as far as i know fox k member fox a arms strut towers notched out u can only get -2

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
-2 honestly isn't enough if your running r-comps, even if you put delrin in the lower arms
I'm running just a touch of toe out in front with -2.2 (most they could get out of it evenly on both sides) with 7 degrees of caster and I'm still getting a little more wear on the outside of my tires than inside(I don't have a pyrometer to get actual tire temps and do real measurements)
I have the MM offset sn95 arms on a stock k-member(01 gt)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Track width is good.:beer::rockon::thumbsup:

Pick up Tune to Win by Carroll Smith, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-Carroll-Smith/dp/0879380713"]Amazon.com: Tune to Win: Carroll Smith: Books[/ame]

a fantastic book still today, even though it's a little old.

The laws of racing physics don't change.

I loved it, read it twice now, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

And YES this topic is covered.
You don't need an engineering degree to understand it either.:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread