Widest tire for our 9 inch rims

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I will end up buying a spare set of anniversery rims for my car and have them chromed. but what would the best set of tires for longevity and width be since there is no anniv rim that is offered other than 9" same as everyone elsed stock.

I think F1's are out way to much memory in the tires, from one day of sitting feels like the tires are squar.

Remembe my car is a car show car not a track car but the wide tires look great.

What and where to buy do u think?

Last edited:

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
I believe that the widest you can go on a 17x9 rim is 315's with Nitto (they tend to run narrow) but you will definately have bulging which will eat up your tires on the sides. You will also have to change a bolt in your rear fenderwell (or trim it) because of rubbing issues when the cars suspension is raised (it will not rub when the springs have a full load on them). I would recommend 285's. I would tell you 295's but they aren't currently offered for 17" diameter rims.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
even though Ford describes our wheels as 17" x 9", they're actually 9.5" wide

davidmax

Established Member
315/35/17 and you may need fender rolling,Dave Smulovic.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
is everyone talking only for the rear or for the front also. I dont want to do any rolling of fender lips. Has that been a must for the 315's

Bingo13

Established Member
Unless it is the Nitto DRs the widest I would go on the stock wheel is a 285/40/17. The difference in actual tread width on the ground between same brand tires (285vs275) is about an 1/8th of an inch on average with the stock wheel.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
so bingo your saying that you can run a 285 on all 4 tires. But really is only a 1/8 wider. no one talks much about rubbing up front since on my car I will rotate.

The car is not raced just driven to and from car shows and a cruise night ride.

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
Cobra10thaniv, I am assuming that you only want to run the wide tires out back. I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than stock for the front. And like I said earlier, I recommend you get 285/40-17. Only go with 315 if you are going with Nitto (which is basically the only 315 that will fit because they tend to run narrow).

Originally posted by JB
even though Ford describes our wheels as 17" x 9", they're actually 9.5" wide

I've measured them and they look like 17x9 to me. :??: It was actually a hair over 9" wide but the most it could have gone over was .1" but then again that is just from my observation.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
so bingo your saying that you can run a 285 on all 4 tires. But really is only a 1/8 wider. no one talks much about rubbing up front since on my car I will rotate.

The car is not raced just driven to and from car shows and a cruise night ride.

The 285s fit fine and will not rub on the front. They will pucker a little on the stock wheel and that causes the slight difference in tread width on the pavement between the 285 and 275 tires. The 285 really needs a true 9.5"~10" wheel to flatten out the full tread width on the pavement. Also most of the 285s average 26.1" in diameter compared to 25.7" on average for the 275s so your speedo will be off slightly. At 60mph your true speed will be around 60.9mph if memory serves me correctly.

mike69440

Established Member
BFG KDW's 285-17-40

Just picked up 4 BFG KDW's 285-17-40's.

Anyone esle have these? I will mount this weekend on a set of extra Factory silver wheels.

They look about 20 mm wider than the 275's and look like they realy want a 10" rim or so. 9 will be tight I think.

Mike69440

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
I'm going to be getting these bad boys for my GT.

17x9
bullit9.jpg

17x10.5
bullit105.jpg

I just haven't decided wether I'm going to get 285's or 315's for the back. I'll probably get the 285's the first time around just to get used to them.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Intimidator,
Those wheels are phat, literally too. However, they look like GT/Bulllit wheels. Send some pics with them on your car.

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
Originally posted by BigBeez03
Intimidator,
Those wheels are phat, literally too. However, they look like GT/Bulllit wheels. Send some pics with them on your car.

Those wheels are sweet! I've got a GT and not a Cobra (unfortunately) and the Bullit style wheels have grown on me a lot. I'll post pics of them as soon as I get them. They wont be out until sometime in November though so don't expect the pics any time soon. Also, the wheels won't look exactly like the ones I posted, those are prototypes, the real ones will be a perfect OEM match in terms of color and style (at least the ones I'm getting, I'm sure they're going to be making them in different finishes).

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
For track tires I am using four AFS 17 X 10.5 inch wheels with Kumho Victoracers. The tread is almost 1 inch wider. The wheel rim just slightly rubbed on the dust shroud on the front struts but it wore the plastic slightly and it is not a problem. These wheels are actually slightly wide for the tire size and the rim actually sticks outside of the tire sidewall. However for track use they support the tire sidewall well and work great on the track. I am sure that the 258 40 17's would work well on these rims. I plan to get two Kumho Victoracer 315 35 17's for the rear and trying them on the front also, to see if they will fit with a small spacer. Ultimately I would like to run the 315's all around for the track.

Gord

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Intimidator
I've measured them and they look like 17x9 to me. :??: It was actually a hair over 9" wide but the most it could have gone over was .1" but then again that is just from my observation.

you're absolutely right and I was wrong

others have posted they were 9.5 so I asked the tire guy to measure the wheel when I had my drag radials mounted...he told me they were indeed 9.5"

I took his word for it...he probably put the calipers on the outside of the bead (as others may have done)

this is the same guy who wasn't going to balance them with the explanation of "I never balance DR's....they don't need it" :rolleyes:

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
Originally posted by JB
you're absolutely right and I was wrong

others have posted they were 9.5 so I asked the tire guy to measure the wheel when I had my drag radials mounted...he told me they were indeed 9.5"

I took his word for it...he probably put the calipers on the outside of the bead (as others may have done)

this is the same guy who wasn't going to balance them with the explanation of "I never balance DR's....they don't need it" :rolleyes:

No problem. A lot of people have that misconception for some reason, how it started is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread