Widest tire?

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Im sorry for asking this(it's probably been asked before), but what is the widest tire you can run on a 95 R wheel on the front of an sn95? My goal is to run the same size on all 4 for rotational purposes.

hantzis

Established Member
It all depends on what springs you have installed. Assuming a 1.5" drop, I would go with 255/40/17s. I had these on all 4 corners on my 97 Cobra w/fms C springs (1.5" drop). I had no rubbing issues whatsoever. I have seen some go with 275/40/17s but I believe they experience rubbing during hard cornering (correct me if i'm wrong). 255/40/17s fit nicely on the 95 Cobra Rs (17X9), but I think the 275s fit a bit better.

Dean

mambaman

Established Member
i'm told you can go 275 on the stock 8" rim, so i'm thinking a hell of a lot wider than 255 on a 9"....(BTW, i'm getting a pair of the same wheels to put in the back)

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
I wanted to know if I could run 275s on all 4 corners. The car has H&Rs(about an 1.5 or a little more drop in the front). I have been told that this will work, but I want to make sure before I order a set of 95 R's. If they don't fit, I'll just stick with the 98 Cobras I have. I don't want to stagger tire sizes.

Mario92

Former Parts Pimp
Established Member
275/40/17 Will work. With the H&R's You may need to heat up the inner fender liner where it may rub. But that's an easy fix with a heat gun. If you want You can try my 275/40 on your '98.

Mario

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Thanks Mario...when would you be free for that? I was up at Rick("the rick" from WCF and he's got 275s and 95Rs on the front of his 96), so Im feeling more confident that this should work. But, if you are free any time soon, I'd like to take you up on that offer. Call my cell.

Mario92

Former Parts Pimp
Established Member
Will do. I was going to stop by on Saturday after I met up with Fiveogirl. but I could not remeber which exit to take to get to your place. :shrug:

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Next time you're up here you should call me ;) I was up at my brother's house in Healdsburg all this weekend working on his new '74 3.0 BMW, so I would have missed you anyway. On the way back from my brother's house, I stopped by Rick's place(that was when I saw that he's running the 275s up front). I ended up ordering the R's and the 275s today, so we'll see in a week, when they come.

Neurotoxin

Established Member
I'm interested in this as well. I'm running 17x9" 95 R's with 275/40/17's on all 4 and I was wondering what springs I can run. I was counting on using either the FRPP C's or the MRT suspension package. Please tell me that they don't rub :)

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Originally posted by Neurotoxin
I'm interested in this as well. I'm running 17x9" 95 R's with 275/40/17's on all 4 and I was wondering what springs I can run. I was counting on using either the FRPP C's or the MRT suspension package. Please tell me that they don't rub :)

Well, I can tell you in about a week. I've got H&R's and my car sits just like my buddy's car. He's running 275/40/17s on real 95 R's without rubbing, so I will be doing the same.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
I definitely would not run 275s on the stock 8" Cobra rim. The tires will not fit very well and, if you can get them crammed on there, you will have HUGE sidewall flex and horrible handling.

They will fit fine on the Cobra R rims at 9" though. The only exception I can think of on an 8" rim might be the Nittos as they are narrower than other 275s.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
For clarification, the tires are going on to real 95 Rs(9" wide). So the only fitment in question is the tire vs wheel well ;).

Mario, the tires came in today and the wheels should come in later this week. Do you think we can meet up this weekend and try out your wheels/tires on the front of the 98?

svtdownsouth

Established Member
i run 275/40/17's on all four corners on a 9" rim. The trick is to get the 03 cobra wheels, they look KILLER on sn95's and have a slightly different backspacing to clear the suspension bolts of the cobra IRS, the result is they fit perfectly (eibach dropped cobra) lock to lock no rubbing, hard cornering no rubbing.

Oh and I agree, dont put 275's on an 8" rim unless you want it to handle like a school bus.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
I threw the 275s on all four corners two days ago...I've put around 200 miles on the car since and have played a little with the twisties. So far not one rub. The car is lowered with H&R supersport springs, as stated before. I am using C58's("real" chrome 95 Rs).

Last edited:

BLACKVNM

Established Member
I got Eibach sportlines on my 98 - dropped 2 1/2 in front and 2 in the back. I'm running the 03 wheels(17x9) and have 275/40's on front and 285/40's on the back and no rubbing at all for me through corners or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread