Wierd Handling 03 Cobra

floodstang

Established Member
Maybe someone can shed some light on this strange issue I'm having. When the car hits a crack in the pavement or an expansion joint, it wants to jerk the steering wheel out of your hands. It's worse when it's raining, it feels like the car is sliding. It's almost undriveable when the streets are wet. You don't have to be in a turn when this happens, I'm talking about driving down the interstate or even driving in my neighborhood. Also when the wheel is turned all the way to the left, the inside of the left rim rubs on the lower control arm Here is a rundown on the suspension setup:

285/35/18 front tires 295/35/18 rear tires, different brands and not worn out
Tokico D specs front and rear
Steeda sport springs, X2 ball joints with the spring spacer installed, and bump steer kit
Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates and solid rack bushings

The car does not pull to either side and drives straight. The alignment is set to the Maximum Motorsports recommended settings. I do not have a bumpsteer gauge but the tie rod is on about the same angle as the lower control arm which is on a pretty good upward angle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is how its supposed to be. I am a senior master Ford technician but I can't figure this out for the life of me. It is my daily driver for the time being so any insight would really help.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Check your rear hub bearings too. I just went through some weird handling issues and it was my hub bearings.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

zredfire04

Established Member
one of the side gears in my diff was basically stripped except for 2 or 3 teeth that still caught on the pinion gear. every time it would whip around the car would steer itself. it was spooky for sure. i'm just glad i found it before i got stranded somewhere lol.

R15393

Established Member
I would jack rear end up and wiggle your back tires. I've had this happen before. Wheel bearing was bad once, axle nut came loose and another time the lug nuts were loose. Each time I hit crack on highway it would yank the car one way or the other.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
It could be the different brand tires. I had bought a used car once with 4 different tires and it would do what you're describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread