Wierd Power Steering Noise after new mods

Svt_devin

SVT Devin
Established Member
I've checked everything I can think of so I'm looking for advice, I recently had my k member out for header install and installed a 4# lower too. Kurgan motorsports installed fuel system and changed header gaskets (because I used the junk ones that came with my American racing headers and they leaked). Somewhere in this process of mods and tuning something happened to my power steering system because it makes a very odd wining noise. It's the same sound as a normal low fluid wine but it's higher pitch and not when your turning it just does it all the time off and on sometimes louder than other times. My power steering works fine and fluid is topped, no pinched lines that I can see. Only thought I have is maybe the 4# lower is spinning it too fast and damaged the pump. Any input or ideas is greatly appreciated. The noise is driving me crazy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I have a few easy suggestions:

1) spray some belt conditioner on the belt while engine is running and see if the noise changes at all. If noise changes, then perhaps grease or other contaminant got onto belt. Obvious solution then: replace belt.

2) change the P/S fluid, making sure you refill with the correct stuff.

3) eyeball the pulley alignments and make sure your P/S pulley is still aligned perfectly with other pulleys.

4) was the system purged at all? Does it need to be bled? Most don't, but you never know................

Hope this helps.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Power steering pump isn't on the blower belt. So swapping to the 4lb lower doesn't affect it. It could just be a coincidence on the timing of it happening.

JCDriller

Established Member
mine made all kinds of noise and was rough. I unhooked the crank sensor and ran a few quarts of ford Mecon ATF through the pump. It helped out big time.

01yellercobra

Established Member
mine made all kinds of noise and was rough. I unhooked the crank sensor and ran a few quarts of ford Mecon ATF through the pump. It helped out big time.

How did unhooking the crank sensor help? If anything I would think that would cause issues.

JCDriller

Established Member
No, I unhooked the crank sensor so it wouldn't start. I stuck a hose (barb) on the power steering return line which I removed from the overflow tank bottom. Also plug the barb on the bottom of the overflow tank using another piece of hose that was dead ended with a zip tie. Route the now longer return hose into a old catch container, then manually added fresh power steering fluid while cranking the car until the fresh stuff started coming out of the return line into my catch container. If you leave the crank sensor hooked up you'll get fuel and a spark and spray power steering fluid everywhere.

01yellercobra

Established Member
No, I unhooked the crank sensor so it wouldn't start. I stuck a hose (barb) on the power steering return line which I removed from the overflow tank bottom. Also plug the barb on the bottom of the overflow tank using another piece of hose that was dead ended with a zip tie. Route the now longer return hose into a old catch container, then manually added fresh power steering fluid while cranking the car until the fresh stuff started coming out of the return line into my catch container. If you leave the crank sensor hooked up you'll get fuel and a spark and spray power steering fluid everywhere.

Ok. That makes more sense. Holding the gas pedal down while cranking shuts off the injectors. No need to unplug anything.

Users who are viewing this thread