Wife was hit, cop failed to file report

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My wife was hit on her way to the store on Saturday night. She had a protected left turn signal at a 4 lane road with a center divider. When she was past the first two lanes a 2006 Silverado hit her in the front passenger side which took off the front bumper off, damaged the fender, fender splash shield etc. The two cops that showed up refused to file a report saying there was not enough damage (there is $4500 according to my estimate) and made them exchange info. The other party told the cops that she had not hit anyone. Now today I come to find out that the other woman called our insurance company and claimed my wife ran the red light and hit her. What can I do about this? She told both cops that she had hit no one even though my wife's bumper was lodged under her wheels, not she is lying to the insurance. The police department (Prince William County Va) is telling her she can not file a report on her own and the cop is not answering his phone number that was given to us by dispatch the night of the wreck. Without the cop it is a he said she said deal.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Keep contacting the responding agency. The officer should be able to help you out, and possibly even an accident reconstruction if needed. Your insurance company can also play a large part as they save money with it being the other parties fault. Lastly, check for any surveillance/traffic cameras in the area that may have captured the incident.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Just FYI, a lot of agencies don't do police reports for non-injury collisions. I drive with a dash cam now to protect myself in these instances.

cbj5259

Established Member
Sounds like a non-reportable accident or the Virginia equivalent (I work in PA). If there is no injury or tow required, the police are not obligated to take a police report. With that said, many departments will at least make an incident report indicating they were called out to the scene and record insurance information and driver/occupant information. In many areas where you have busy departments they won't even respond to fender benders if it doesn't meet the tow or injury threshold. Philadelphia police don't respond. I know that because when my wife's car got tapped they said it was not a police matter and technically they were right.

For future reference always make sure to get pictures at the time of the incident.

Last edited:

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just FYI, a lot of agencies don't do police reports for non-injury collisions. I drive with a dash cam now to protect myself in these instances.

Yeah, ordered one for the wife this afternoon. I will be checking for surveillance videos tomorrow, there is a 7-11 and Little Caesars across the street.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Did your wife take pics/video of the scene?

Yes she did, including the one of her bumper under the Silverados rear tire. The truck kept going for maybe 100 feet before it stopped.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
In Virginia, a DMV crash report is required if there are injuries OR a fatality. It is also required IF the investigating officer BELIEVES the damage to be is excess of $1500. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that most officers are NOT cars guys, or insurance adjusters. Merely looking at exterior damages, one can often assume that the damage will not cost much to repair.

That being said, if the officer continues with not answering his phone, call a supervisor and explain that you just need the officer to contact your insurance company to verify that your wife was not at fault in the crash.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
If it had happened in Vegas (obviously not, but I'm seeing some possible parallels here), there likely wouldn't be a report if there were no injuries or other major issues. See if you can get documentation of the call from the agency's dispatch.

musclefan21

Established Member
Are you sure you weren't told to go downtown and file the report? if the cars are drivable, manages are minor, then exchange the info and file it at the front desk. That is a normal procedure. We do it all the time.

silver03svt

Established Member
Are you sure you weren't told to go downtown and file the report? if the cars are drivable, manages are minor, then exchange the info and file it at the front desk. That is a normal procedure. We do it all the time.

Doesn't work that way in Virginia. The LEO is responsible for taking all the report info needed, and exchanging information between all parties involved. That is IF the officer deems it reportable at the scene.

musclefan21

Established Member
Doesn't work that way in Virginia. The LEO is responsible for taking all the report info needed, and exchanging information between all parties involved. That is IF the officer deems it reportable at the scene.

Oh!

What happens during snow emergencies where there are bunch of minor crashes pending? Dont you guys have desk workers take these crashes at a later time?

silver03svt

Established Member
Oh!

What happens during snow emergencies where there are bunch of minor crashes pending? Dont you guys have desk workers take these crashes at a later time?

Nope. Under $1500 damage, no injury, no death.....NO report. Exchange info between parties, issue summons if necessary, gone in 15 minutes or less.

If weather gets really bad, the Governor's office (or VSP Superintendent) has the authority to raise the limit temporarily on the dollar amount of making a crash reportable. I have seen them up the damage minimum to $3000 before in those circumstances.

If a car runs off the road in the snowy weather, and zero damage....not crash at all....call a wrecker, drop some flares, and scoot to the next one.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Wow, just read this one.
Down here they write a report for everything basically.

Not to mention, I just got a quote of $600 just to respray the rear bumper cover on the focus. No damage at all just a blend due to fading. It would take very very little damage on today's cars to get $1500 in damage.

musclefan21

Established Member
Nope. Under $1500 damage, no injury, no death.....NO report. Exchange info between parties, issue summons if necessary, gone in 15 minutes or less.

If weather gets really bad, the Governor's office (or VSP Superintendent) has the authority to raise the limit temporarily on the dollar amount of making a crash reportable. I have seen them up the damage minimum to $3000 before in those circumstances.

If a car runs off the road in the snowy weather, and zero damage....not crash at all....call a wrecker, drop some flares, and scoot to the next one.

Def very different than us. In IL 500 or under no report. Rest we do a report unless the drivers are willing to exchange. During emergencies, due to bad weather, etc. if vehicles are drivable, they have to go to the station and file a report. Patrol is too busy to handle them.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Yep in CA most of the time there is no report just an exchange of insurance info. Sucks because it always happens, the other person will later claim you were at fault. Had a kid sideswipe me on the freeway, wasn't bad but damaged my fender. Chp showed up and didn't take a report but suggested we write down what happened and have the other guy sign it which he did. I'll do that from now on along with pics.

Users who are viewing this thread