Will 6000k HIDs melt headlight film?

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
Found a great (& CHEAP!) place to buy HIDs for the head & fog lights (links below)... wanna pull that trigger but I can't sacrifice the smoke light film. Will I be alright?:shrug::??::shrug:

Headlights
Fog Lights

Last edited:

smallb69

Established Member
FYI.............check out ddmtuning.com. About half the price since they cut the middle man. I have a set coming for my 07 GT 500, but have been using the same for my F250 for about 6 months with no problems. As for your question, sorry don't know but I thought you may at least like to know where you can get them cheaper.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sounds like a 6000k bulb would reduce your effective light at night, according to lightwerkz.net:

In an effort to retain optimum light output, we use 4300k bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4300K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 6000K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go.

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4300K gas-discharge bulb. The reason being is that 4300K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.

Last edited:

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
Sounds like a 6000k bulb would reduce your effective light at night, according to lightwerkz.net:

In an effort to retain optimum light output, we use 4300k bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4300K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 6000K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go.

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4300K gas-discharge bulb. The reason being is that 4300K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.

Wow thats fantastic information, thanks bro! Will definitely start researching now that you have enlightened me.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
FYI.............check out ddmtuning.com. About half the price since they cut the middle man. I have a set coming for my 07 GT 500, but have been using the same for my F250 for about 6 months with no problems. As for your question, sorry don't know but I thought you may at least like to know where you can get them cheaper.

Seems like all the products on that website are designed for BMW's and such... can u send me a more specific link for the head and fog lights? Thanks bro

smallb69

Established Member
Seems like all the products on that website are designed for BMW's and such... can u send me a more specific link for the head and fog lights? Thanks bro

Yeah all Bimmer crap for sure. They don't sell kits specific to a particular car but rather the type bulb you need. GT 500s take the H13 for the headlight (you can get just lo beam or optional hi/lo beam) and H16 for the fogs. Once on their page click on the HID Kits. On the next page click on the kits with the slim ballast and go from there. You can choose your K rating and wattage. Word to the wise..........they dont recommend the 55w for the fogs as they put off too much heat. I have 35w in my truck (headlights and fogs)and ordered the same for the Shelby. They should be here this week. Lifetime warranty to boot.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
Yeah all Bimmer crap for sure. They don't sell kits specific to a particular car but rather the type bulb you need. GT 500s take the H13 for the headlight (you can get just lo beam or optional hi/lo beam) and H16 for the fogs. Once on their page click on the HID Kits. On the next page click on the kits with the slim ballast and go from there. You can choose your K rating and wattage. Word to the wise..........they dont recommend the 55w for the fogs as they put off too much heat. I have 35w in my truck (headlights and fogs)and ordered the same for the Shelby. They should be here this week. Lifetime warranty to boot.

Thanks for clarifying, saved me a wad of cash! I owe ya :beer:

smallb69

Established Member
Thanks for clarifying, saved me a wad of cash! I owe ya :beer:

My pleasure. Some dude over on TS called me a cheap ass because I wouldn't get the 'proper' parts from Ford for $1100 to do it the right way. Any way I found DDM from a diesel truck forum I am on and all the guys over there are using them will great results. Good luck pal.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
My pleasure. Some dude over on TS called me a cheap ass because I wouldn't get the 'proper' parts from Ford for $1100 to do it the right way. Any way I found DDM from a diesel truck forum I am on and all the guys over there are using them will great results. Good luck pal.

What is TS?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Actually, it's Team $helby :burnout:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

its all universal car wise, i put the 9007 hi/lo kit in my 96 bronco. 6000K 35W i freakin love it, its nice being able to see at night!

th_IMG_3255.jpg

And dont worry about that "the higher you go on the temp scale the less you see" truth be told, whatever you get will be atleast twice as bright as halogens... I am very happy with my 6000k :rockon:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's nothing to "worry about" rather it is useful information so that one can make an informed decision vs getting a certain watt simply because people "like them".

To some, the most effective amount of light at night is more important than appearance while others choose to compromise which is fine too.

Enabling someone to make an informed decision is always a good thing. That's why I posted the difference between 4300k and 6000k vs just saying "I like X, buy them".

Users who are viewing this thread