will a 351 clear a 98 cobra hood?

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
im planning on putting on a 98 cobra hood on the 94. i may go with a 351 (EFI) in the future and was wondering if it would fit under the new hood. i have to get the hood painted and would hate to have to get a new hood again.

thanks guys!

03CobraRed

Established Member
From what I recall the deck height is higher and puts the intake too high for that hood. I think you would need like a 2.5-3" cowl hood like a Cobra R style or something similar.

Or find a low profile intake if possible.

03CobraRed

Established Member
When my friend was looking to do the swap a while ago he found some place that sold a drop K member to lower the whole motor down to fit under his stock hood. He ended up just building a 342 Stroker and used all his 302 stuff for much much cheaper.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
When my friend was looking to do the swap a while ago he found some place that sold a drop K member to lower the whole motor down to fit under his stock hood. He ended up just building a 342 Stroker and used all his 302 stuff for much much cheaper.

yea im still trying to figure this all out. i just dont want to paint a hood and have to repaint a new one in the future.

broken_joke

Established Member
go 347 route you won't regret it. you could easily get similar power levels out of the 347. i went 351 in my 95 gt and you need a different hood( if you don't use drop mounts and low profile style intake) headers, and intake.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
go 347 route you won't regret it. you could easily get similar power levels out of the 347. i went 351 in my 95 gt and you need a different hood( if you don't use drop mounts and low profile style intake) headers, and intake.

i dont mind getting a new hood because i want a new hood. as far as the 302 vs 351 debate, i am not really married to either yet, i just want to make sure i keep my options open.

My94GT

Established Member
if you want to go all motor just go 347 you can get the power gains you want and keep the hood. problem solved

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
H.O. Fibertrends makes a 1.5" raised cowl hood that's identical to the 96-98 Cobra hoods

Just for anyone that want's the info. I layed a straightedge across the bottom of the hood. From the straightedge to the highest point in the bulge in the center it was about 4-5/8".

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just for anyone that want's the info. I layed a straightedge across the bottom of the hood. From the straightedge to the highest point in the bulge in the center it was about 4-5/8".

If that's the case, the H.O. hood would give 6 1/8" of clearance.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Screw a 347, who keeps stock displacement with their 351 anyways? Go 393 or 408, then tell me a similarly outfitted 347 can keep up.

Users who are viewing this thread