Will an air intake leak after the MAF affect WOT performance?

allmotorTA

Established Member
Well, here's the story: I went to the track a little while back and went 12.0 @ 118 on Nittos.
I finally was able to go back again 3 days ago and went 11.99 @ 115 on ET streets. The differences between the 2 runs are as follows: I swapped out my densecharger for a K&N FIPK and I installed some Brisk 17's. Also, the air was way better this time around, along with a 10 mph tailwind. I figured I would at least still trap 118, hell, maybe even 119 or so. I was trapping 115 before my pulley so something is definitely wrong. I know et streets can eat up 1 mph or so, but not 3. I don't think they cost me anything though because I was able to go WOT all the way from the launch to the end, where as with the Nittos I had to feather it all the way through 1st and half of 2nd. The power just wasn't there. I also noticed the car was running rather rough and it kept stalling on decel. I finally did some investigating today and noticed that my air inlet had completely came off my throttle body. I must have not tightened it down properly after I installed the Brisks. I fixed it and that cured the "around town" miss, but could it have agffected my WOT performance as well? I'm new to this MAF stuff, the only fast car I've had before this was speed density. Pretty much, the bottom line is I know the intake leak affected my part throttle performance, but does it affect WOT as well? I just want my 3mph back, 3 of my 4 runs I was edged out by an LS1 by 2 tenths/2mph :bash:

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
yes, will cause you to run lean, and make the car feel as though its strugling a bit on top end

Big turkey

Established Member
No, it will cause you to run rich. If you have a leak after the MAF, the MAF is already reading that air that's coming through, so it's telling the ECU to dump in X amount of fuel for X amount of air. Well if you divide the air by half, then you're left with X amount of fuel, still, but only X/2 of air. Therefore your AFR's will run dead rich.

But yes, it will affect performance.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
If your air inlet popped off of the throttle body, the '03/'04 Cobra would run LEAN at WOT because there would be a bunch of unmetered air entering the engine. The PCM would not add enough fuel to achieve the programmed air/fuel ratio because it did not "see" this extra airflow.

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by FHB
the answers above, sound like john kerry. Fred

The original poster wrote: "I finally did some investigating today and noticed that my air inlet had completely came off my throttle body."

So, I stand by my answer and BTW......John Kerry can kiss my ass!

MJ

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by mjchip
The original poster wrote: "I finally did some investigating today and noticed that my air inlet had completely came off my throttle body."

So, I stand by my answer and BTW......John Kerry can kiss my ass!

MJ

John Kerry will kiss both sides of your ass.

Users who are viewing this thread