WILL AN OFFROAD X-PIPE MESS UP MY 02 SENSORS?

03cobracoupe

Established Member
I want to get a magnaflow off-road x-pipe , but i was wandering if the new cats would set any codes off? Has this happened to any1 with an x-pipe? And if i did happen to blow the engine could they void the warranty if i changed my h-pipe out? thanks

oh and one more question, how much hp would i gain if i did go with a magnaflow catback, and a magnaflow off road x-pipe?? thanks again

mineral03

Established Member
No, it wont mess up your 02 sensors, but it will set a code for them. What happens is the rear 02 sensors are there to check and make sure you cats are working properly.If you put an offroad pipe, you cats arent doing anything, because theyre not there! So it will set a code that your o2 sensors have failed. Theres 2 options( well 3 total):
-Install MIL eliminators, which you install inline of your rear o2 sensors. These basically fool the computer into thinking that the cats are still there,
-have a new chip installed, that basically turns the rear o2 sensors "off"
- or, you can always put cats back in

Ive got MIL elims on mine, but keep getting my check engine light coming on... sets a code for just one side( L side). So i erase it, and then switch my MIL's from side to side, and then it sets another code, and its on the opposite side.. so i know its the MIL thats screwed...

mineral03

Established Member
You said in you original message that you wanted to do an "offroad X" ... The offorad means that it has NO CATS. Thats why it is not "street legal". Now if youre going to get the catted X pipe, then you wont have any problems with 02 sensors

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
03Cobra

Mixed results from what I've seen. On my 2001 I used a Bassani X-pipe with Cats. The rear 02 Sensors declared a fault. I had to do the Mil Eliminator route.

So when I moved the X-pipe to my '03 I did the Mil Elims immediately to avoid the same problem.

The guy I originally bought my Bassani from .. ran it on his 2001 for a 2k miles before he lemon lawed his car.. had no problem with the sensors and never used the Mil Elims. :dw:

Did you get all that?

Only thing is.. I am now moving on to a chip and pulley arrangement so I will be removing he Mil Elims in a couple of weeks. My advice.. if you plan on doing the chip thing.. then hold off on the x-pipe til you can do it all as one and not have to fuss with the Mil Elims.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Well, I like trees, and I like to breathe, so I run a catted MagnaFlow X-pipe. It did not set any codes either with the OE computer settings or my Diablo custom tuned chip. As I recall from previous articles in mags, a quality catted pipe only drops a few HP at best, so I cannot see the benefits vs. the crap you add to the air. Then there is the issue of noise. With the Mag catted X and CB, it sounds amazing. With a Mag system with an O/R-X, I found it annoyingly loud.

Users who are viewing this thread