Will Cat Back System Also Lower EGT's

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I am looking into going cat back only on my 2006 6.0

I was thinking about the MBRP 4 inch aluminized cat back system for the cost savings, but I am looking for a better sound than stock and I want to lower the EGT a bit...

Is the cat back system worth it..I dont want smoke or I dont want to remove the cat...I need to keep this truck legal, but running cooler and sounding a bit better...I dont care for the Maganflow system as it is to quiet...

Then the next step would be the EGR delete......

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'd get the turbo back. Diamond Eye is another alternative that is cost effective that I've seen some guys running.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I'd get the turbo back. Diamond Eye is another alternative that is cost effective that I've seen some guys running.

Ryan,

Do I need to do a tune if I go from the turbo back....I want to keep this truck legal...

Does the cat really restrict the power of a diesel and does it get clogged ever with soot......

I know that when I do the egr delete...I need a tune for my 2006 as it will trip the check engine light....Are there egr delete kits where you do not need to remove everything.

When I clean the egr solidnoid with carb cleaner and reinstall it...will that trip the check engine light as well?

Thanks for all your previous and current help Ryan....:beer:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
From what I've gathered if you go turbo back and no tune you will actually loose some fuel mileage. Going with a tune won't make the truck illegal.

I don't believe the cat is going to be overly restrictive. It does neck the exhaust down to 3" IIRC, on a 4" exhaust at this phase, but then opens back up to 4". My buddy just put a cat delete pipe on his truck, and when we looked through the cat you could still see through it and his truck has something like 90K on it.

I believe there are a few EGR delete/bypass kits out there. To be honest, I haven't looked into those too much as if I do I'll want to spend more money on the truck.

Cleaning the EGR valve won't trip the CEL. However, I'd use MAF cleaner on it instead of CARB cleaner, the carb cleaner is a bit too strong for them from what've I've read. Something I need to do myself.

BTW, you can get tunes for 'cheap.' I got my stuff for 200 bucks. $100 for a XCal2 and another 100 for tunes. Don't think you need to drop 400-600 bucks on it!

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Soooo u want to keep it legal and u dont want smoke but yet your talking about doing a egr delete in the near future? You do realize an egr delete will be both a illegal modification and will create smoke as well. I love my offroad mbrp 5 inch and bulletproof diesel egr delete :-D

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Soooo u want to keep it legal and u dont want smoke but yet your talking about doing a egr delete in the near future? You do realize an egr delete will be both a illegal modification and will create smoke as well. I love my offroad mbrp 5 inch and bulletproof diesel egr delete :-D

How does an EGR delete cause it to smoke? The smoke is caused by too much fuel.....

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
EGR delete will be considered illegal, but is crucial to the longevity of the 6.0.

You can do a block and just leave the valve plugged in to avoid a CEL, or get a "sneaky" bypass that will also pass visual.

As for exhaust, a performance exhaust will decrease EGTS, No exhaust modifications will increase smoke. Intake upgrades would actually decrease any potential for smoke due to more air being introduced.

Best fuel mileage and lowest EGTs will be attained by getting a tune. Tuning the truck doesnt make it illegal as far as I know. DONT get any off the shelf tuner such as bully dog, banks, edge, etc. You need a custom tune, the most popular being done via an SCT handheld and many reputable tuners out there.

Head over to powerstroke.org and powerstrokenation and read around. PSN just sold out and alot of guys headed over to a new site powerstrokearmy if you are interested. Tons of info on any of those sites if you just wade through the BS on the first two.

Any questions feel free to ask! I had my fun with a 6-oh.

03cobraaa

Established Member
What kind of egts are u running now? They make a water/meth kit for 6.0's that help cool them down to help prevent overheating. But i recommend an egr delete, oil cooler, and coolent filter for now. I would ditch the cat.

Users who are viewing this thread