Will check engine light pull timing

Dragfan

Established Member
Hey guys does anyone know if your check engine light is on will it pull timing out? The reason I ask is when I was at track a while back, I didn't think the car was running the mph it should have [ 127 ]. It's tuned, top pulley, JLT cold air and Ford twin 65 TB. Great weather, DA less than 1000 ft. I know this sounds stupid, but I didn't notice the light on, until next day when I drove it off the trailer. It was first time I had it at the track, it was dark, was having trouble figuring out LC [ maybe that's why it didn't work ]. Turned out being EGR valve stuck. It ran best of 1.60 60 ft, 10.8 at 127. It looks like others with same mods run like 132 mph. I would just like to know if that was it, if not than it sure isn't making the power it should be and something else is wrong. And that was with a tune for 110 gas. I would just go run it again, but I decided I didn't want to beat on it anymore, and have already sold my wheels and tires. So if I knowed with the light on it does pull timing, I would be satisfied that was the reason for the mph. But if it doesn't, I need to look further. I hope the light would cause it to pull timing. lol

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you remember the exact DTC you had? I can look it up on my Alldata system, but with an EGR code it's very possible it could affect the performance. But the number one reason timing is pulled is due to high IAT2 temps. Did you monitor your temps at the track? With 110 oct I would think you'd be around 23 to 24 degrees max timing. It would honestly be easier to switch to E85.

Dragfan

Established Member
No I don't, if he told me I forgot. BJ at Venomous tuning tuned it. I was only to use the tune at the track with 100+ octane. He thought it would add another 25-30 HP over the regular tune.

Dragfan

Established Member
Do you remember the exact DTC you had? I can look it up on my Alldata system, but with an EGR code it's very possible it could affect the performance. But the number one reason timing is pulled is due to high IAT2 temps. Did you monitor your temps at the track? With 110 oct I would think you'd be around 23 to 24 degrees max timing. It would honestly be easier to switch to E85.
No I didn't monitor the temps, the code was po401.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Well that's good to know. Is the loss of power from pulling timing?

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient Detected

The EGR system is monitored during steady state driving conditions while the EGR is commanded on. ***The test fails when the signal from the differential pressure feedback EGR sensor indicates that EGR flow is less than the desired minimum.

I dont believe this Powertrain DTC will pull timing. Its an emission system issue. There only a few stratigies and management systems im aware that would affect timing and engine output.

Engine Fluid Temperature Management

The engine fluid temperature management can be activated when high temperature or high load conditions take place. When the engine fluid temperature management is activated, the PCM sends a controller area network (CAN) message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC). The IPC then displays a power reduced to lower temp message. The engine coolant temperature gauge needle moves toward the H (hot) zone. In order to manage the engine's fluid temperatures, the PCM starts to reduce engine power and vehicle speed. The air conditioning may cycle ON and OFF to protect overheating of the engine.

Engine RPM Limiter

The PCM disables some or all of the fuel injectors whenever an engine RPM over speed condition is detected. The purpose of the engine RPM limiter is to prevent damage to the powertrain. Once the driver reduces the excessive engine speed, the engine returns to the normal operating mode.

Excessive wheel slippage may be caused by sand, gravel, rain, mud, snow, ice, or excessive and sudden increase in RPM while in NEUTRAL or while driving.

Fail-Safe Cooling Strategy

Note:
Not all vehicles with a cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor have the fail-safe cooling strategy.

The fail-safe cooling strategy is only activated by the PCM when an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the CHT sensor. For additional information about the CHT sensor, refer to Engine Control Components in this section.

A cooling system failure, such as low coolant or coolant loss, could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, the fail-safe cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. This strategy allows the vehicle to be driven safely for a short time with some loss of performance when an overheat condition exists.

Engine temperature is controlled by alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors, allowing all cylinders to cool. When the fuel injectors are disabled, the respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool the cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

A wide open throttle (WOT) delay is incorporated if the cylinder head temperature is exceeded during WOT operation. At WOT, the injectors function for a limited amount of time allowing the customer to complete a passing maneuver.

Before injectors are disabled, the fail-safe cooling strategy alerts the customer to a cooling system problem by moving the IPC temperature gauge to the H (hot) zone and setting DTC P1285. Depending on the vehicle, other indicators such as an audible chime or warning lamp, can be used to alert the customer of fail-safe cooling. If overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, DTC P1299 is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates. If the overheating condition continues and a critical temperature is reached, all fuel injectors are turned OFF and the engine is disabled.

Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM)

The FMEM is an alternate system strategy in the PCM designed to maintain engine operation if one or more sensor inputs fail.

When a sensor input is determined to be out-of-limits by the PCM, an alternative strategy is initiated. The PCM substitutes a fixed value for the incorrect input and continues to monitor the suspect sensor input. If the suspect sensor begins to operate within limits, the PCM returns to the normal engine operational strategy.

Last edited:

Dragfan

Established Member

The EGR system is monitored during steady state driving conditions while the EGR is commanded on. ***The test fails when the signal from the differential pressure feedback EGR sensor indicates that EGR flow is less than the desired minimum.

I dont believe this Powertrain DTC will pull timing. Its an emission system issue. There only a few stratigies and management systems im aware that would affect timing and engine output.

The engine fluid temperature management can be activated when high temperature or high load conditions take place. When the engine fluid temperature management is activated, the PCM sends a controller area network (CAN) message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC). The IPC then displays a power reduced to lower temp message. The engine coolant temperature gauge needle moves toward the H (hot) zone. In order to manage the engine's fluid temperatures, the PCM starts to reduce engine power and vehicle speed. The air conditioning may cycle ON and OFF to protect overheating of the engine.

Engine RPM Limiter

The PCM disables some or all of the fuel injectors whenever an engine RPM over speed condition is detected. The purpose of the engine RPM limiter is to prevent damage to the powertrain. Once the driver reduces the excessive engine speed, the engine returns to the normal operating mode.

Excessive wheel slippage may be caused by sand, gravel, rain, mud, snow, ice, or excessive and sudden increase in RPM while in NEUTRAL or while driving.

Note:
Not all vehicles with a cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor have the fail-safe cooling strategy.

The fail-safe cooling strategy is only activated by the PCM when an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the CHT sensor. For additional information about the CHT sensor, refer to Engine Control Components in this section.

A cooling system failure, such as low coolant or coolant loss, could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, the fail-safe cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. This strategy allows the vehicle to be driven safely for a short time with some loss of performance when an overheat condition exists.

Engine temperature is controlled by alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors, allowing all cylinders to cool. When the fuel injectors are disabled, the respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool the cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

A wide open throttle (WOT) delay is incorporated if the cylinder head temperature is exceeded during WOT operation. At WOT, the injectors function for a limited amount of time allowing the customer to complete a passing maneuver.

Before injectors are disabled, the fail-safe cooling strategy alerts the customer to a cooling system problem by moving the IPC temperature gauge to the H (hot) zone and setting DTC P1285. Depending on the vehicle, other indicators such as an audible chime or warning lamp, can be used to alert the customer of fail-safe cooling. If overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, DTC P1299 is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates. If the overheating condition continues and a critical temperature is reached, all fuel injectors are turned OFF and the engine is disabled.

The FMEM is an alternate system strategy in the PCM designed to maintain engine operation if one or more sensor inputs fail.

When a sensor input is determined to be out-of-limits by the PCM, an alternative strategy is initiated. The PCM substitutes a fixed value for the incorrect input and continues to monitor the suspect sensor input. If the suspect sensor begins to operate within limits, the PCM returns to the normal engine operational strategy.

Engine RPM Limiter

Note:

Thanks Vinnie, not what I was hoping for, but good to know.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The only other thing I can think of that would definitely pull timing would be spark knock.......Good Luck @Dragfan Datalogging is your best friend at the track.
Agreed 100% on this @Dragfan if you ever do another track outing always datalog. When ever I do 1/2 mile events I always datalog every run. It will tell you and your tuner if there's an issue.

Dragfan

Established Member
Agreed 100% on this @Dragfan if you ever do another track outing always datalog. When ever I do 1/2 mile events I always datalog every run. It will tell you and your tuner if there's an issue.
I'll remember that, good advise. I need to get more familiar with data logging, I'm too old school. I my try to find someone local and get it on a dyno one day. Thanks everyone

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Just log it. You have our instructions. Then look at your timing. Is it less than commanded?

EGR issues will be a problem for you because we tune with it on and fully operational.

It "could" cause timing to be pulled, or not. The log won't lie.

Had a customer tell me his car felt like was losing power. Yup. ZERO degrees of spark on a wot pull. Why? IAT2 over 240 degrees! He's lucky he didn't eat the engine.

Cooling and system voltage should be monitored Constantly

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The EGR is an inert gas that actually lowers combustion chamber temps. If you don't have EGR it will pull timing to prevent pre-detonation.

Dragfan

Established Member
Just log it. You have our instructions. Then look at your timing. Is it less than commanded?

EGR issues will be a problem for you because we tune with it on and fully operational.

It "could" cause timing to be pulled, or not. The log won't lie.

Had a customer tell me his car felt like was losing power. Yup. ZERO degrees of spark on a wot pull. Why? IAT2 over 240 degrees! He's lucky he didn't eat the engine.

Cooling and system voltage should be monitored Constantly

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Thanks for chiming in BJ. I'll get together with my son in the next few days to do some data logging. I guess what I need is 2-6000 pull in 3rd. I wish now I done it before I fixed the EGR valve [ then I would have known about the timing ]. If it shows good now I guess I could take it back to the track. With no tires I know the ET won't be any good but maybe I could tell something by what it does in the back half.

Users who are viewing this thread