Will Ford respond to the 2016 Camaro SS with a HP increase?

Bgoins

Established Member
I'm sure they will eventually with direct injection. Chevy has been doing the same thing for years - put a new engine in the Vette and a year or two later put it in the Camaro. As soon as Chevy put the LT1 in the C7 I'm sure Ford knew it was going in the new Camaro.

KonaFifty

Established Member
i dont see ford doing anything to the mustang for 2016. i bet if anything it would be 2017 or maybe 2018.

bpmurr

Established Member
There might be a slight power bump in 16 with a factory tune tweak. I don't see anything significant until the 17 model year. I could see the following happening in 17:

2.3 Eco 4 with HP bump
2.7 Eco 6
5.0 with DI
10 Speed Auto
Mag ride option for GT
Performance Pack suspension standard on GT

Last edited:

kino

Established Member
Ford will respond but I'm thinking it'll be when they do a refresh. I think by that time we will see the new auto and some type of direct injection. I just get the impression Ford wants to wait to see what the Camaro brings to the table and the sales figures. Figure news trans plus DI would help sales at that time.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
they will do small increase, not to much being a gt350 / gt350r is a 5.2 liter variant of the coyote 5.0 gt motor and thats what 500-505+hp n/a . Look what they did from 2011-2012 412hp then they upped the hp to 420hp. now its what 430-435hp in the current 2015 5.0 cars. So I can see them upping it closer to the boss 302 like they were saying before for 2015 cars, I can see 450hp for the 2016-2017 gt's. forget hp they need to knock 100-300lbs off the mustangs to now.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Ford is not concerned at all what the slowmaro has when it comes out. Each will get their own buyers and most of those buyers will do some mods to improve hp. Its not about what you start out with, its about what you finish with!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I doubt you'll see a boost out of the blue (like they always seem to do with the diesels).

I, for one, am not exactly looking forward to DI on the 5.0.

Voltwings

Established Member
^^ I agree, but right now its still a pain when you run out of fuel. DI is awesome until you run out of fuel, and then it is the single largest pain in the ass ever. Hopefully if they do go DI they stay FI as well, but i doubt that, given the level of complexity involved.

50blackout

Established Member
Also lets not forget the carbon issue with Direct Injection (there is nothing cleaning the intake valves and carbon starts to build up). Ford should combine their direct injection with port injection just like some of the other car manufactures. My buddy had to spend more than a $1k to get his BMW 335I "walnut blasted" because he was misfiring on various cylinders. He only had 75k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread