Will Ford try to dethrone Ferrari for most N/A V8 hp

steeltoe

Established Member
Ford saying the 5.2L will have the most N/A hp Ford has ever produced according to official Ford spec wouldn't be hard. Considering the highest official number I can think of is the 428SCJ at just under 500hp, well Ford has already confirmed that when they did the first press release. However unofficially the Boss 9 was in the ball park of 600hp depending on configuration and the 427 Cammer was over 600hp but not a production engine.

Which now brings us to Ferrari. The base 458 engine produces 570hp out of a 4.5L FPC N/A V-8 and the 458 Speciale produces 605 out of pretty much the same engine.

I think Ford would be stupid not to try.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I think the engine will have the ability to reach 605hp at the crank with some supporting mods. Granted its not factory for factory. What I think is more believe for the Voodoo is 100hp per liter. Emissions will play a big part of Ford sandbagging the power. 520hp from the factory probably isn't too far fetched if they are claiming atleast 500 horsepower. Once into the aftermarket, a good set of headers could easily see 50hp+ (basing what Fabspeed has done with 458 headers on a FPC engine). Not sure how much they left in the intake tract, cylinder heads, cams, tuning etc.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Not gonna happen.
because the honda ricer excuse of na/liter.
a 4.5 v8 making 600hp from ferrari, ferrari has been making 458s since 2009. Still pretty impressive to make that much power under 5 liters, NA.

the 5.2 from ford is not going to make 600hp, sorry.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
You never know what they are working on behind closed doors so it wouldn't suprise me if the at least attempt the feat.

In my opinion if they were trying to go that route, the motor that does it will not be in a Mustang. It will be reserved for the FGT version 2.0.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Although the 5.2 from ford will be very impressive and the Ferrari 4.5 is the best n/a v8 they have ever come out with, the Mercedes amg 6.2L "6.3" is still the king of n/a factory v8's. It's rated at 622hp as of 2013.

scott_0

Established Member
as said, not hapening man, Ferrari owners are used to high maintenance cost that come with high horsepower N/A motors , American car owners wont accept that

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
That's not a crazy record imo. What about 640hp vipers? That's a na motor. Granted its huge, and a 10cyl, but still no forced induction. My vette with a mild cam and milled heads makes 578rwhp---640 at the motor. Yes, it's modded, but I don't see a huge claim-to-fame, with 707hp cars strolling around.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
as said, not hapening man, Ferrari owners are used to high maintenance cost that come with high horsepower N/A motors , American car owners wont accept that

This is the true reason right here, ^^^^^^^^long term reliability and durability. Do I think the 5.2 FPC could eclipse the Ferrari FPC in power? Absolutely. Will it ever be offered in that form from the factory? Absolutely not.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
nope, cars with a HP/l that high tend to have frequent[EXPENSIVE] maintenance intervals. i'd bet cash money that a 458 engine wouldn't make it through ford's durability testing.

kaz109

Established Member
That's not a crazy record imo. What about 640hp vipers? That's a na motor. Granted its huge, and a 10cyl, but still no forced induction. My vette with a mild cam and milled heads makes 578rwhp---640 at the motor. Yes, it's modded, but I don't see a huge claim-to-fame, with 707hp cars strolling around.

You are missing the point. The viper has the biggest production motor in history..not special that it makes 20 more hp then a car with less displacement and cylinders...also a modded example of an LS7 is just that...a modded example. You are bringing up 707hp cars yet the topic of this discussion is NA V8's..that 707hp car is not NA

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
SLS BS is the highest NA V8 but the 458 and 918 beat it in HP per Liter

As mentioned earlier the 4.6L in the 918 makes 608hp while the 4.5L in the 458 makes 600hp

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
A 458 is way more high strung than Ford can get away with, though they did buy a Ferrari California for benchmark purposes for the GT350. Less for the HP and more for the NVH characteristics of a front-engine V8 FPC.

Ford could never, ever get away with the kind of ridiculous shit people just accept from Ferrari. Let a 458 sit for a week. If it's not completely dead (which is a distinct possibility), start it and see if it doesn't billow smoke. If it doesn't billow smoke, see if the electronics aren't having an absolute shitfit. Be prepared for a barrage of *Insert Acronym Here* failure warnings and rough running. Once you let it spaz out, warm up and run for awhile, shut er off and re-fire it up. Should be good. :rollseyes

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
You are missing the point. The viper has the biggest production motor in history..not special that it makes 20 more hp then a car with less displacement and cylinders...also a modded example of an LS7 is just that...a modded example. You are bringing up 707hp cars yet the topic of this discussion is NA V8's..that 707hp car is not NA

Not missing the point. The point is that nobody cares. I own three cars with more hp than the gt350 will have. Ford could try to dethrone Ferrari's n/a record, and I could give a shit. Seeing as how I'm in the market for a new fast car soon, and I could easily buy the new gt350, my views are an example of what prospective buyers are thinking. I brought up my crammed c6z, because it drives smoother than my gtr. Most of the time I forget it's cammed. If gm/ford could figure out a way to get a similar motor to pass emissions, the record could fall easily. I still wouldn't care.

Modern day forced induction motors are the way to go. Look at the number of cars pushing 500+ with turbos. Maybe Lexus should go after the record with their rc-f. 5.0 liter with 467hp, and probably quiet as a mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread